Double-fabric hammock and flooring underlay

  • alidisaster
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 16, 2003
      Well, made my hammock Friday - found some skirt lining - 112cm wide
      (44.5"). I bought 6 mtrs - then lay it out on the floor, lay next to
      it, added 3-4ft for knots etc, then folded it until I had a double
      thickness, the right length. Cut off the waste, tied some 3mm
      climber's cord on it - and it looked too short. Damn. Had train to
      catch in 5 min, and the hammock was what I was sleeping in for the
      next 2 nights.

      Anyway, after a long journey, I reached where I was camping - found
      some trees in the dark - but they were big, & I didn't have enough
      cord/webbing to wrap around them more than once. So I just wrapped
      once, and used a guitar string knot - it worked well.

      For the insulation, I used the laminate flooring underlay - 3mm
      thick, doubled to make 6 mm. It was narrower than the hammock, but
      wide enough to lie on - about 60cm. Warm night - I wore thermals &
      jacket as I only had a *very* lightweight sleeping bag. Didn't need
      to zip up bag, or put on socks. Hammock was ok for length - just. I
      like sleeping curled up, anyway. temp around 50F

      The following night was a lot colder - I added socks & zipped up my
      bag. I woke up a couple of times, when I'd managed to squirm around
      in the hammock so that I wasn't on the pad - then I got cold. Don't
      know what the temp was - but in the morning my breath was frosting.

      The insulation wasn't crushed, as for some reason the lower layer of
      fabric didn't get pulled quite as tight as the top layer.

      Oh, one thing - initially I had a problem with the hammock pulling
      into a ridge down the middle - then I figured it was because I hadn't
      gathered enough of the sides into the knot. I adjusted the knot, and
      it was ok after that.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2003
        Message
        Thanks for the report--glad to hear you were able to adjust and make the hammock work.  Sounds like a lot of creativity too--skirt lining, guitar string knot, laminate flooring underlay, etc.  Where was your trip?   ...Ed

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2003
          The knot came out of 'not' having enough rope - think I will get some
          more webbing.

          The fabric worked well. It is a very tight weave - in habidashers
          they call it 'satin'. It actually looks ok in the woods - looks like
          a lot of the shell fabrics used on tents and jackets . . .

          It comes in 60" widths as well - I might try using it for a fly,
          with the addition of a DWR treatment like nikwax. Certainly cheap, &
          seems strong enough. It is very thin - slightly translucent & 6mtrs
          of it balled up to the size of a small loaf.

          Lack of money certainly inspires creativity!

          I wasn't away anywhere special - on a teaching course I attend every
          month (in the UK). To get there, I have a 4.5hr train trip, then 4
          mile walk through the woods. There are woods where the course is
          held - normally most ppl sleep in school classrooms - so it makes a
          good place to try out new ideas - I can always chicken out and go
          inside, plus I have to carry the gear.

          > Thanks for the report--glad to hear you were able to adjust and
          make the
          > hammock work. Sounds like a lot of creativity too--skirt lining,
          guitar
          > string knot, laminate flooring underlay, etc. Where was your trip?
          > ...Ed
          s/> .