New SnugFit

  • rob dawson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2007
      looks great!!!!

      robi
    • Rosalind Suit
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
        Tim,

        Are you using a Spear-type hammock, or a Henessy? In the Henessy, one needs a pad in cold weather. Did you use a pad on the inside of your hammock, or were you directly on the hammock with the new SnugFit doing all the insulating from the cold? And, did you use a quilt inside your hammock, or a sleepingbag used like a quilt? If you don't need any inside-the-hammock pad with a SnugFit.....it looks like I may have found the answer to my prayers. Would love to see the size of the SnugFit inside its stuffsack....and it sitting on a scale to see the weight!! (Ed...such a picture might be a really good selling point if it's going to eliminate carrying a bulky, rolled-up pad. ;-) ).

        Rosie
        mdhiker

        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
          Now that's a super idea!! Thanks Rosie...Ed

          Moderator, Hammock Camping List

          Editor, Hammock Camping News

          Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

          _____

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
            rosie...i was using a speer hammock when i used the snug fit under quilt, but any hammock is going to need some type insulation when the temps drop much below 70°f.
            i was using a big agness insulated air core to start with. that mat usually begins to feel cool to me when the temps drop into the low 50s & certainly into the 40s. but i wanted to see how it felt inside an under quilt, hoping that having it inside a warmer environment would make it usable in colder temps. it did improve it's comfort range, but not enough to be truly comfortable at 35°f. it was feeling cool on bottom.
            i woke up sometime through the night & was off the mat, laying directly on the hammock, but i was nice & warm. i was plenty comfortable but decided to put the BA mat back under me. when i did, it felt cold. i would expect it to since it was standing up side-ways beside me in the hammock, exposed to the cold air. so i dozed off allowing it time to warm up. i awoke again a short time later & the BA air mat still felt cool as i laid on it. every thing else was warm.
            so i decided to take it out again. i was warm almost instantly!
            that snug fit quilt is... well, SNUG up against the bottom of the hammock, so there's no air gaps between you & the insulation on bottom. so where your quilt or sleeping bag meets the hammock, it becomes one w/ the insulation of the snug fit that is tight against the bottom of the hammock. i was warmer with out the lightly insulated BA mat!
            you probably noticed on the link ed gave in an earlier post that he offers two models... one velcros to a speer hammock, but the other has several attachment points that makes it work with a HH or most any other hammock. ...tim