New SnugFit Terminology

    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 6, 2007
      Dave, Tim It’s been a long time getting the SnugFit UnderQuilt page up &
      running on the website, but..YEA….it’s finally done! You’d think something
      like that shouldn’t take so long and cause me so much aggravation—guess I’m
      just too anal to accept less than perfect on my website. Anyway, thanks for
      the feedback. Yes there are a lot of new design terms, but that SnugFit is
      so close to design perfection that I felt each design feature needed to be
      identified—thus all the new terms. Dave not only did most of the design,
      but I also drafted his help with the terms—together, we’ve gone over the
      terms extensively and rejected most of the ones I first proposed. Now we
      have a good set of descriptive terms that should stick for a long time. I
      really don’t think anyone else can come close to the design & price of this
      underquilt—I’m really proud of it!

      Yea, this might be advertising, but it’s not shameless since the info is
      also informative to the hammocking community—I have no problem with putting
      that up on our List.

      For those wishing to see what we’re talking about---
      http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SnugFit.htm

      Happy Hammocking….Ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 6, 2007
        looks great!!!!

        robi
      • Rosalind Suit
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
          Tim,

          Are you using a Spear-type hammock, or a Henessy? In the Henessy, one needs a pad in cold weather. Did you use a pad on the inside of your hammock, or were you directly on the hammock with the new SnugFit doing all the insulating from the cold? And, did you use a quilt inside your hammock, or a sleepingbag used like a quilt? If you don't need any inside-the-hammock pad with a SnugFit.....it looks like I may have found the answer to my prayers. Would love to see the size of the SnugFit inside its stuffsack....and it sitting on a scale to see the weight!! (Ed...such a picture might be a really good selling point if it's going to eliminate carrying a bulky, rolled-up pad. ;-) ).

          Rosie
          mdhiker

          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
            Now that's a super idea!! Thanks Rosie...Ed

            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 7, 2007
              rosie...i was using a speer hammock when i used the snug fit under quilt, but any hammock is going to need some type insulation when the temps drop much below 70°f.
              i was using a big agness insulated air core to start with. that mat usually begins to feel cool to me when the temps drop into the low 50s & certainly into the 40s. but i wanted to see how it felt inside an under quilt, hoping that having it inside a warmer environment would make it usable in colder temps. it did improve it's comfort range, but not enough to be truly comfortable at 35°f. it was feeling cool on bottom.
              i woke up sometime through the night & was off the mat, laying directly on the hammock, but i was nice & warm. i was plenty comfortable but decided to put the BA mat back under me. when i did, it felt cold. i would expect it to since it was standing up side-ways beside me in the hammock, exposed to the cold air. so i dozed off allowing it time to warm up. i awoke again a short time later & the BA air mat still felt cool as i laid on it. every thing else was warm.
              so i decided to take it out again. i was warm almost instantly!
              that snug fit quilt is... well, SNUG up against the bottom of the hammock, so there's no air gaps between you & the insulation on bottom. so where your quilt or sleeping bag meets the hammock, it becomes one w/ the insulation of the snug fit that is tight against the bottom of the hammock. i was warmer with out the lightly insulated BA mat!
              you probably noticed on the link ed gave in an earlier post that he offers two models... one velcros to a speer hammock, but the other has several attachment points that makes it work with a HH or most any other hammock. ...tim