Re: When there are no trees?

  • ptoddf
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
      I'm eager to hear
      > from anyone who has used a hammock along that stretch of trail.
      > Should I take my hammock, or my tent?
      >
      > Bob

      Bob,

      I'd take my hammock, though I haven't done all the JMT yet. Did the
      High Sierra Trail to Whitney, both ways, and hammock was great all the
      way. Just camp at Crabtree Meadow, near the back country ranger
      station. No place to hang past that.

      I'll be doing the JMT from Tuolumne to Kearsarge Pass (Independence)
      later this summer, the section I haven't done. I'm definitely taking
      hammock only. Might have to camp a little lower a few nights to catch
      trees, or use my wire rope slings to hang off rocks above treeline.

      Have a great hike. The Sierra is the best. Todd in CC.
    • aethericpower
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "quinette7" <cincoymaya@...>
        wrote:

        > Does anyone have experience with tying hammocks to rocks or other
        > things when there are no trees about? We sometimes camp above tree
        > line or in the desert. We're still contemplating getting a Clark
        > Hammock but are concerned about how to suspend it in other than
        optimal
        > situations.

        I currently have a hammock hanging in my bedroom.

        Not from any hooks in the ceiling or walls but on a metal pole that is
        resting on window ciels. Between the window ciels and the pole are
        roled up shirts to prevent the pole from roling off the sides.

        Prior to the window ciel configuration I used two sets of stools.

        So long as the pole has two stable stands to press down, maybe
        something you could take with you, haven't quite figures out what
        would fit the bill, the configuration will work.

        The knots I use play a major role. I previous had problems with ropes
        slipping inward and letting me sit on the floor. I believe the knot I
        am using is called a cats paw. It is a clove hitch with an inner loop.
        This makes the inward pulling stopped by the outer loop. Both sides of
        my rope from the cats paw I make clove hitches to tie onto a bedsheet
        hammock.

        The pole dose not have to be metal. Wood or PVC should work but I have
        not tried those out yet.

        Again I am trying to figure out an every day and or inexpensive light
        weight portable item I could use for the wieght baring stands.

        My other thought is purchasing a hammock stand such as the Spartan.

        http://www.amazon
        com/Spartan-Hammock-Stand/dp/B000LHY486/ref=sr_1_2/002-6111887-9555212?
        ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1181184917&sr=8-2
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
          that's an interesting observation... using the pole on top. we've talked a lot about how great the force is on a stake (or whatever) when someone wants to use the one pole method, but doing what you're suggesting (like you said) only requires vertical strength.
          a light weight pole that would be strong, rigid, & break down into two sections would be the same pole risk uses on his hammock stand... the top pole used on a chain link fence.
          maybe a tripod of sorts for the end supports. ...tim