Re: When there are no trees?

  • ptoddf
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
      > Does anyone have experience with tying hammocks to rocks or other
      > things when there are no trees about?

      Yes, to rocks in Sierra. Bad idea to use rope or cord, had one HH
      cord saw through in 5 minutes on a granite rock. When you get in
      and/or move around in hammock it moves enough to rub and cut through.
      This does not work.

      My solution is to take thin wire rope slings along and loop these
      over rocks. I'm making some up now for next Sierra trip. I'm using
      1/16 inch stainless steel aircraft cable to make 2 slings, with a
      standard "thimble" in each end and a swaged sleeve to secure it.
      These 2 slings with end thimbles will be 4 feet and 6 feet long for
      this trial trip. I'll loop the cable over the rock and tie off to the
      thimbles with my Speer hammock straps, clear of the rock itself.

      If unfamiliar with these materials look at this site:

      http://stageriggingonline.com/index.html

      Best, Todd in CC.
    • quinette7
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007

        > Yes, to rocks in Sierra.
        >
        > Best, Todd in CC.

        Todd-

        Thanks for your suggestions.

        Where in the Sierra have you been? I bought a Clark North American
        hammock yesterday. I have a permit beginning Labor Day for the
        southern third of the John Muir Trail (enter at Bishop Pass and exit
        at Whitney Portal). I expect that it might be a challenging place
        for a newbie to find places from which to hang. I'm eager to hear
        from anyone who has used a hammock along that stretch of trail.
        Should I take my hammock, or my tent?

        Bob
      • olhiker2
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ptoddf" <ptoddf@...> wrote:

          > > Does anyone have experience with tying hammocks to rocks or other
          > > things when there are no trees about?
          >
          > Yes, to rocks in Sierra. Bad idea to use rope or cord, had one HH
          > cord saw through in 5 minutes on a granite rock.

          For protecting ropes from chafeing and cutting try useing scraps of
          carpeting or simular between the rope and the rock. Also there are
          climbing ropes made for use over sharp edges that might work, see
          here; http://www.highonropes.com/climbing-rope-glossary.htm
          I think these types of rope are availiable at REI and can be
          purchased by the foot.
          "Happy Trails"
          Carl in San Diego
        • ptoddf
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
            I'm eager to hear
            > from anyone who has used a hammock along that stretch of trail.
            > Should I take my hammock, or my tent?
            >
            > Bob

            Bob,

            I'd take my hammock, though I haven't done all the JMT yet. Did the
            High Sierra Trail to Whitney, both ways, and hammock was great all the
            way. Just camp at Crabtree Meadow, near the back country ranger
            station. No place to hang past that.

            I'll be doing the JMT from Tuolumne to Kearsarge Pass (Independence)
            later this summer, the section I haven't done. I'm definitely taking
            hammock only. Might have to camp a little lower a few nights to catch
            trees, or use my wire rope slings to hang off rocks above treeline.

            Have a great hike. The Sierra is the best. Todd in CC.
          • aethericpower
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "quinette7" <cincoymaya@...>
              wrote:

              > Does anyone have experience with tying hammocks to rocks or other
              > things when there are no trees about? We sometimes camp above tree
              > line or in the desert. We're still contemplating getting a Clark
              > Hammock but are concerned about how to suspend it in other than
              optimal
              > situations.

              I currently have a hammock hanging in my bedroom.

              Not from any hooks in the ceiling or walls but on a metal pole that is
              resting on window ciels. Between the window ciels and the pole are
              roled up shirts to prevent the pole from roling off the sides.

              Prior to the window ciel configuration I used two sets of stools.

              So long as the pole has two stable stands to press down, maybe
              something you could take with you, haven't quite figures out what
              would fit the bill, the configuration will work.

              The knots I use play a major role. I previous had problems with ropes
              slipping inward and letting me sit on the floor. I believe the knot I
              am using is called a cats paw. It is a clove hitch with an inner loop.
              This makes the inward pulling stopped by the outer loop. Both sides of
              my rope from the cats paw I make clove hitches to tie onto a bedsheet
              hammock.

              The pole dose not have to be metal. Wood or PVC should work but I have
              not tried those out yet.

              Again I am trying to figure out an every day and or inexpensive light
              weight portable item I could use for the wieght baring stands.

              My other thought is purchasing a hammock stand such as the Spartan.

              http://www.amazon
              com/Spartan-Hammock-Stand/dp/B000LHY486/ref=sr_1_2/002-6111887-9555212?
              ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1181184917&sr=8-2
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
                that's an interesting observation... using the pole on top. we've talked a lot about how great the force is on a stake (or whatever) when someone wants to use the one pole method, but doing what you're suggesting (like you said) only requires vertical strength.
                a light weight pole that would be strong, rigid, & break down into two sections would be the same pole risk uses on his hammock stand... the top pole used on a chain link fence.
                maybe a tripod of sorts for the end supports. ...tim