Re: [Hammock Camping] Buried post depth

  • Steve Bennett
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
      Up here in Canada only burying the post 1ft would cause it to heave
      out of alignment when the ground freezes. I think you would want to
      go down at least 4ft and taper the hole out towards the bottom.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
        like the others said, being below the frost line is some thing to consider.
        but if there is going to be a top rail of sorts (as i would imagine w/ a pergola) pulling to the center shouldn't be much of a problem, but when you sway side to side, that will put quite a bit of force on the posts.
        like already said, i would over do it & have nothing to be concerned about.
        seems like they say bury fence posts 1/3 of it's length. ...tim