When there are no trees?

  • quinette7
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2007
      Does anyone have experience with tying hammocks to rocks or other
      things when there are no trees about? We sometimes camp above tree
      line or in the desert. We're still contemplating getting a Clark
      Hammock but are concerned about how to suspend it in other than optimal
      situations.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2007
        i've never really done it, but i did stay in a holiday inn express last night<g>.
        but seriously, there are sometimes other things that a hammock can be hung from. just be sure they are strong enough. there is more force on the hammock supports than people might think. youngblood did a chart on this. i'll see if i can find it & give a link... if someone doesn't get to it first.
        you could use one tree & a rock face or boulder for instance. there has been some talk about using some of the stuff climbers use to anchor to rocks (like the nuts that are wedged into cracks), or in some cases you might could go around a rock w/ a webbing sling, then attach the hammock support to that. ...tim

        quinette7 <cincoymaya@...> wrote:
        Does anyone have experience with tying hammocks to rocks or other
        things when there are no trees about? We sometimes camp above tree
        line or in the desert. We're still contemplating getting a Clark
        Hammock but are concerned about how to suspend it in other than optimal
        situations.

      • ptoddf
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007
          > Does anyone have experience with tying hammocks to rocks or other
          > things when there are no trees about?

          Yes, to rocks in Sierra. Bad idea to use rope or cord, had one HH
          cord saw through in 5 minutes on a granite rock. When you get in
          and/or move around in hammock it moves enough to rub and cut through.
          This does not work.

          My solution is to take thin wire rope slings along and loop these
          over rocks. I'm making some up now for next Sierra trip. I'm using
          1/16 inch stainless steel aircraft cable to make 2 slings, with a
          standard "thimble" in each end and a swaged sleeve to secure it.
          These 2 slings with end thimbles will be 4 feet and 6 feet long for
          this trial trip. I'll loop the cable over the rock and tie off to the
          thimbles with my Speer hammock straps, clear of the rock itself.

          If unfamiliar with these materials look at this site:

          http://stageriggingonline.com/index.html

          Best, Todd in CC.
        • quinette7
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 5, 2007

            > Yes, to rocks in Sierra.
            >
            > Best, Todd in CC.

            Todd-

            Thanks for your suggestions.

            Where in the Sierra have you been? I bought a Clark North American
            hammock yesterday. I have a permit beginning Labor Day for the
            southern third of the John Muir Trail (enter at Bishop Pass and exit
            at Whitney Portal). I expect that it might be a challenging place
            for a newbie to find places from which to hang. I'm eager to hear
            from anyone who has used a hammock along that stretch of trail.
            Should I take my hammock, or my tent?

            Bob
          • olhiker2
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "ptoddf" <ptoddf@...> wrote:

              > > Does anyone have experience with tying hammocks to rocks or other
              > > things when there are no trees about?
              >
              > Yes, to rocks in Sierra. Bad idea to use rope or cord, had one HH
              > cord saw through in 5 minutes on a granite rock.

              For protecting ropes from chafeing and cutting try useing scraps of
              carpeting or simular between the rope and the rock. Also there are
              climbing ropes made for use over sharp edges that might work, see
              here; http://www.highonropes.com/climbing-rope-glossary.htm
              I think these types of rope are availiable at REI and can be
              purchased by the foot.
              "Happy Trails"
              Carl in San Diego
            • ptoddf
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
                I'm eager to hear
                > from anyone who has used a hammock along that stretch of trail.
                > Should I take my hammock, or my tent?
                >
                > Bob

                Bob,

                I'd take my hammock, though I haven't done all the JMT yet. Did the
                High Sierra Trail to Whitney, both ways, and hammock was great all the
                way. Just camp at Crabtree Meadow, near the back country ranger
                station. No place to hang past that.

                I'll be doing the JMT from Tuolumne to Kearsarge Pass (Independence)
                later this summer, the section I haven't done. I'm definitely taking
                hammock only. Might have to camp a little lower a few nights to catch
                trees, or use my wire rope slings to hang off rocks above treeline.

                Have a great hike. The Sierra is the best. Todd in CC.
              • aethericpower
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "quinette7" <cincoymaya@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Does anyone have experience with tying hammocks to rocks or other
                  > things when there are no trees about? We sometimes camp above tree
                  > line or in the desert. We're still contemplating getting a Clark
                  > Hammock but are concerned about how to suspend it in other than
                  optimal
                  > situations.

                  I currently have a hammock hanging in my bedroom.

                  Not from any hooks in the ceiling or walls but on a metal pole that is
                  resting on window ciels. Between the window ciels and the pole are
                  roled up shirts to prevent the pole from roling off the sides.

                  Prior to the window ciel configuration I used two sets of stools.

                  So long as the pole has two stable stands to press down, maybe
                  something you could take with you, haven't quite figures out what
                  would fit the bill, the configuration will work.

                  The knots I use play a major role. I previous had problems with ropes
                  slipping inward and letting me sit on the floor. I believe the knot I
                  am using is called a cats paw. It is a clove hitch with an inner loop.
                  This makes the inward pulling stopped by the outer loop. Both sides of
                  my rope from the cats paw I make clove hitches to tie onto a bedsheet
                  hammock.

                  The pole dose not have to be metal. Wood or PVC should work but I have
                  not tried those out yet.

                  Again I am trying to figure out an every day and or inexpensive light
                  weight portable item I could use for the wieght baring stands.

                  My other thought is purchasing a hammock stand such as the Spartan.

                  http://www.amazon
                  com/Spartan-Hammock-Stand/dp/B000LHY486/ref=sr_1_2/002-6111887-9555212?
                  ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1181184917&sr=8-2
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
                    that's an interesting observation... using the pole on top. we've talked a lot about how great the force is on a stake (or whatever) when someone wants to use the one pole method, but doing what you're suggesting (like you said) only requires vertical strength.
                    a light weight pole that would be strong, rigid, & break down into two sections would be the same pole risk uses on his hammock stand... the top pole used on a chain link fence.
                    maybe a tripod of sorts for the end supports. ...tim