Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Tightening a Hennessy Hammock without undoing the lashing?

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 11 , May 29, 2007
      On 5/29/07, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

      > Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the rings would
      > slip
      > when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.

      Secure with a final half hitch for security.

      Ralph Oborn

    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 11 , May 29, 2007
        I use the Byer's of Maine Travelrope
        http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
        productId=30560175&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226
        &langId=-1

        sandy in miami

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
        wrote:

        > I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
        > system like this one:
        > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html
        >
        > You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes
        it
        > easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots
        of
        > DIY are going it this way now.
        >
        > Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
        > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565
        >
        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Proulx"
        > <cproulx@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!
        > >
        > > It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll
        > stick with
        > > the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > >
        > > Catherine.

      • Joseph Cabatu
        Message 3 of 11 , May 29, 2007
          Every now and then that would happen to me also. But what i do now along with the half hitch is to give the webbing (mule rope) a tug to lock the ring before putting any weight in the hammock. The seems to have solve that problem.

          Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote: On 5/29/07, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

          > Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the rings would
          > slip
          > when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.

          Secure with a final half hitch for security.

          Ralph Oborn

        • sebastiantoney
          Message 4 of 11 , May 30, 2007
            Yeah, dual rings aren't idiot proof. I see a lot of people using 1.5
            in inner dia ring with only 1 inch webbing. Hello. The wider the
            webbing the more friction you get. That with the half hitch and making
            sure the rings are properly aligned and as Joseph says makes sure
            everything is taught before getting in makes it slip much less slip.

            I keep wondering why some people have problem with ring slippage and
            others don't. I'm not sure why it is, but I suspect it's because
            people aren't going through all the steeps necessary to secure the
            unit before hopping in their hammocks.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Cabatu <jcabatu@...> wrote:

            > Every now and then that would happen to me also. But what i do now
            along with the half hitch is to give the webbing (mule rope) a tug to
            lock the ring before putting any weight in the hammock. The seems to
            have solve that problem.

            > Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
            On 5/29/07, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

            > > Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the
            rings would
            > > slip
            > > when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.
            >
            > Secure with a final half hitch for security.
            >
            > Ralph Oborn

          • Stuhr, Tim
            Message 5 of 11 , May 31, 2007
              Slippage could be a factor of the type of webbing used and the type of
              knot tied to the rings to hold them together.

              But the easiest and best security is a slippery half hitch right up
              against the rings after you have tightened the webbing.

              Stoikurt