Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Tightening a Hennessy Hammock without undoing the lashing?

  • Catherine Proulx
    Message 1 of 11 , May 28, 2007
      Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!

      It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll stick with
      the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.

      Thanks,

      Catherine.

    • sebastiantoney
      Message 2 of 11 , May 29, 2007
        I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
        system like this one:
        http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html

        You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes it
        easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots of
        DIY are going it this way now.

        Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
        http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Proulx"
        <cproulx@...> wrote:

        > Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!
        >
        > It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll
        stick with
        > the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Catherine.

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 11 , May 29, 2007
          Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the rings would slip
          when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.

          On 5/29/07, sebastiantoney <funbun2@...> wrote:

          > I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
          > system like this one:
          > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html
          >
          > You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes it
          > easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots of
          > DIY are going it this way now.
          >
          > Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
          > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565

          > "Catherine Proulx"

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 11 , May 29, 2007
            On 5/29/07, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

            > Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the rings would
            > slip
            > when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.

            Secure with a final half hitch for security.

            Ralph Oborn

          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 11 , May 29, 2007
              I use the Byer's of Maine Travelrope
              http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
              productId=30560175&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226
              &langId=-1

              sandy in miami

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
              wrote:

              > I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
              > system like this one:
              > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html
              >
              > You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes
              it
              > easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots
              of
              > DIY are going it this way now.
              >
              > Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
              > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Proulx"
              > <cproulx@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!
              > >
              > > It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll
              > stick with
              > > the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > >
              > > Catherine.

            • Joseph Cabatu
              Message 6 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                Every now and then that would happen to me also. But what i do now along with the half hitch is to give the webbing (mule rope) a tug to lock the ring before putting any weight in the hammock. The seems to have solve that problem.

                Message 7 of 11 , May 30, 2007
                  Yeah, dual rings aren't idiot proof. I see a lot of people using 1.5
                  in inner dia ring with only 1 inch webbing. Hello. The wider the
                  webbing the more friction you get. That with the half hitch and making
                  sure the rings are properly aligned and as Joseph says makes sure
                  everything is taught before getting in makes it slip much less slip.

                  I keep wondering why some people have problem with ring slippage and
                  others don't. I'm not sure why it is, but I suspect it's because
                  people aren't going through all the steeps necessary to secure the
                  unit before hopping in their hammocks.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Cabatu <jcabatu@...> wrote:

                  > Every now and then that would happen to me also. But what i do now
                  along with the half hitch is to give the webbing (mule rope) a tug to
                  lock the ring before putting any weight in the hammock. The seems to
                  have solve that problem.

                  > Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
                  On 5/29/07, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                  > > Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the
                  rings would
                  > > slip
                  > > when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.
                  >
                  > Secure with a final half hitch for security.
                  >
                  > Ralph Oborn

                • Stuhr, Tim
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 31, 2007
                    Slippage could be a factor of the type of webbing used and the type of
                    knot tied to the rings to hold them together.

                    But the easiest and best security is a slippery half hitch right up
                    against the rings after you have tightened the webbing.

                    Stoikurt