Re: Silk Hammock Failure!

  • David Wills
    Message 1 of 10 , May 26 10:20 AM
      It is a possibility. But that still shouldn't be a big enough issue
      to warrant such a quick failure. Silk, IMO, is still great for bag
      liners and PJs because it feels really good. It just isn't an
      adequate fabric for any heavy use applications such as hiking shirts
      and hammocks. I also wouldn't recommend the 4.5mm silk for sleeping
      bag apps. I have used my quilt lined with it for nearly 50 nights and
      it has 3 or 4 small tears in it where the momentum shell is still in
      like new condition. It has held up reasonably well and I will
      continue to use it until it reaches dilapidation, and then a little
      more, but the weight penalty of nylon is very small compared to the
      durability and performance advantages.

      There are different grades of silk. Sea to Summit has discount liners
      made from grade 'B' silk if i remember correctly. Thai Silks, where I
      purchased mine, made no claims to grade.

      -Dave