Re: Tightening a Hennessy Hammock without undoing the lashing?

    Message 1 of 11 , May 26, 2007
      When I used a Hennessy Hammock, I learned to do what Rosaleen said--
      don't hang it so taut to begin with. It will stretch a lot less that
      way and you can just hang it higher so you can live with the overnight
      stretch, I suggest allowing for 6 to 8 inches of drop overnight. I
      would be careful about experimenting with different types of knots and
      suggest you don't. Certain types of ropes don't release easily the
      next morning with cinching knots that have sharp turns under heavy
      load and some of the models of Hennessy Hammocks have ropes like that.
      The figure 8 works well with those ropes... don't overlook how nice
      it is to be able to untie the hammock from the tree in the morning. <grin>

      Dave

      <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

      > Catherine-
      >
      > You will soon be a pro at the figure-eight lashing. If you haven't
      had a tremendous amount of slip in the hanging lashings, just undo one
      of those and retighten that side. It will pull up the whole hammock.

      > You DO know that the hammock does not have to be strung tightly,
      right? As long as the height is good for you, the hammock is
      basically centered between two trees (or whatever), and the ridge line
      is tight under your weight, you should be all set. The important part
      of the integrated non-stretching ridgeline, and why this is patented,
      is that this feature ensures the same hammock sag every time.

      > Rosaleen
      >
      > Tightening a Hennessy Hammock without undoing the lashing?
      > Posted by: "Catherine Proulx" cproulx@...<mailto:cproulx@...>
      kenanekena
      > Date: Fri May 25, 2007 5:19 am ((PDT))
      >
      > Hi everyone,
      > (SNIP)
      >
      > I am wondering if there's a way to retighten it after the initial
      stretching
      > without undoing the whole setup? I'm using the recommended figure-eight
      > lashing + 2 half hitches. Is another type of knot more appropriate?
      >
      > Thanks a lot!
      >
      > Catherine

    • Catherine Proulx
      Message 2 of 11 , May 28, 2007
        Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!

        It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll stick with
        the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.

        Thanks,

        Catherine.

      • sebastiantoney
        Message 3 of 11 , May 29, 2007
          I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
          system like this one:
          http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html

          You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes it
          easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots of
          DIY are going it this way now.

          Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
          http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Proulx"
          <cproulx@...> wrote:

          > Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!
          >
          > It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll
          stick with
          > the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Catherine.

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 11 , May 29, 2007
            Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the rings would slip
            when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.

            On 5/29/07, sebastiantoney <funbun2@...> wrote:

            > I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
            > system like this one:
            > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html
            >
            > You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes it
            > easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots of
            > DIY are going it this way now.
            >
            > Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
            > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565

            > "Catherine Proulx"

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 11 , May 29, 2007
              On 5/29/07, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

              > Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the rings would
              > slip
              > when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.

              Secure with a final half hitch for security.

              Ralph Oborn

            • Sandy Kramer
              Message 6 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                I use the Byer's of Maine Travelrope
                http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
                productId=30560175&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226
                &langId=-1

                sandy in miami

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
                wrote:

                > I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
                > system like this one:
                > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html
                >
                > You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes
                it
                > easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots
                of
                > DIY are going it this way now.
                >
                > Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
                > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Proulx"
                > <cproulx@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!
                > >
                > > It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll
                > stick with
                > > the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.
                > >
                > > Thanks,
                > >
                > > Catherine.

              • Joseph Cabatu
                Message 7 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                  Every now and then that would happen to me also. But what i do now along with the half hitch is to give the webbing (mule rope) a tug to lock the ring before putting any weight in the hammock. The seems to have solve that problem.

                  Message 8 of 11 , May 30, 2007
                    Yeah, dual rings aren't idiot proof. I see a lot of people using 1.5
                    in inner dia ring with only 1 inch webbing. Hello. The wider the
                    webbing the more friction you get. That with the half hitch and making
                    sure the rings are properly aligned and as Joseph says makes sure
                    everything is taught before getting in makes it slip much less slip.

                    I keep wondering why some people have problem with ring slippage and
                    others don't. I'm not sure why it is, but I suspect it's because
                    people aren't going through all the steeps necessary to secure the
                    unit before hopping in their hammocks.

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Cabatu <jcabatu@...> wrote:

                    > Every now and then that would happen to me also. But what i do now
                    along with the half hitch is to give the webbing (mule rope) a tug to
                    lock the ring before putting any weight in the hammock. The seems to
                    have solve that problem.

                    > Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
                    On 5/29/07, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                    > > Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the
                    rings would
                    > > slip
                    > > when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.
                    >
                    > Secure with a final half hitch for security.
                    >
                    > Ralph Oborn

                  • Stuhr, Tim
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 31, 2007
                      Slippage could be a factor of the type of webbing used and the type of
                      knot tied to the rings to hold them together.

                      But the easiest and best security is a slippery half hitch right up
                      against the rings after you have tightened the webbing.

                      Stoikurt