Tightening a Hennessy Hammock without undoing the lashing?

  • Rosaleen Sullivan
    Message 1 of 11 , May 26, 2007
      Catherine-

      You will soon be a pro at the figure-eight lashing. If you haven't had a tremendous amount of slip in the hanging lashings, just undo one of those and retighten that side. It will pull up the whole hammock.

      You DO know that the hammock does not have to be strung tightly, right? As long as the height is good for you, the hammock is basically centered between two trees (or whatever), and the ridge line is tight under your weight, you should be all set. The important part of the integrated non-stretching ridgeline, and why this is patented, is that this feature ensures the same hammock sag every time.

      Rosaleen

      Tightening a Hennessy Hammock without undoing the lashing?
      Posted by: "Catherine Proulx" cproulx@...<mailto:cproulx@...> kenanekena
      Date: Fri May 25, 2007 5:19 am ((PDT))

      Hi everyone,
      (SNIP)

      I am wondering if there's a way to retighten it after the initial stretching
      without undoing the whole setup? I'm using the recommended figure-eight
      lashing + 2 half hitches. Is another type of knot more appropriate?

      Thanks a lot!

      Catherine

      Message 2 of 11 , May 26, 2007
        When I used a Hennessy Hammock, I learned to do what Rosaleen said--
        don't hang it so taut to begin with. It will stretch a lot less that
        way and you can just hang it higher so you can live with the overnight
        stretch, I suggest allowing for 6 to 8 inches of drop overnight. I
        would be careful about experimenting with different types of knots and
        suggest you don't. Certain types of ropes don't release easily the
        next morning with cinching knots that have sharp turns under heavy
        load and some of the models of Hennessy Hammocks have ropes like that.
        The figure 8 works well with those ropes... don't overlook how nice
        it is to be able to untie the hammock from the tree in the morning. <grin>

        Dave

        <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

        > Catherine-
        >
        > You will soon be a pro at the figure-eight lashing. If you haven't
        had a tremendous amount of slip in the hanging lashings, just undo one
        of those and retighten that side. It will pull up the whole hammock.

        > You DO know that the hammock does not have to be strung tightly,
        right? As long as the height is good for you, the hammock is
        basically centered between two trees (or whatever), and the ridge line
        is tight under your weight, you should be all set. The important part
        of the integrated non-stretching ridgeline, and why this is patented,
        is that this feature ensures the same hammock sag every time.

        > Rosaleen
        >
        > Tightening a Hennessy Hammock without undoing the lashing?
        > Posted by: "Catherine Proulx" cproulx@...<mailto:cproulx@...>
        kenanekena
        > Date: Fri May 25, 2007 5:19 am ((PDT))
        >
        > Hi everyone,
        > (SNIP)
        >
        > I am wondering if there's a way to retighten it after the initial
        stretching
        > without undoing the whole setup? I'm using the recommended figure-eight
        > lashing + 2 half hitches. Is another type of knot more appropriate?
        >
        > Thanks a lot!
        >
        > Catherine

      • Catherine Proulx
        Message 3 of 11 , May 28, 2007
          Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!

          It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll stick with
          the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.

          Thanks,

          Catherine.

        • sebastiantoney
          Message 4 of 11 , May 29, 2007
            I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
            system like this one:
            http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html

            You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes it
            easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots of
            DIY are going it this way now.

            Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
            http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Proulx"
            <cproulx@...> wrote:

            > Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!
            >
            > It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll
            stick with
            > the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Catherine.

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 11 , May 29, 2007
              Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the rings would slip
              when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.

              On 5/29/07, sebastiantoney <funbun2@...> wrote:

              > I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
              > system like this one:
              > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html
              >
              > You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes it
              > easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots of
              > DIY are going it this way now.
              >
              > Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
              > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565

              > "Catherine Proulx"

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                On 5/29/07, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                > Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the rings would
                > slip
                > when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.

                Secure with a final half hitch for security.

                Ralph Oborn

              • Sandy Kramer
                Message 7 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                  I use the Byer's of Maine Travelrope
                  http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
                  productId=30560175&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226
                  &langId=-1

                  sandy in miami

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
                  > system like this one:
                  > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html
                  >
                  > You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes
                  it
                  > easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots
                  of
                  > DIY are going it this way now.
                  >
                  > Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
                  > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Proulx"
                  > <cproulx@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!
                  > >
                  > > It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll
                  > stick with
                  > > the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > >
                  > > Catherine.

                • Joseph Cabatu
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                    Every now and then that would happen to me also. But what i do now along with the half hitch is to give the webbing (mule rope) a tug to lock the ring before putting any weight in the hammock. The seems to have solve that problem.

                    Message 9 of 11 , May 30, 2007
                      Yeah, dual rings aren't idiot proof. I see a lot of people using 1.5
                      in inner dia ring with only 1 inch webbing. Hello. The wider the
                      webbing the more friction you get. That with the half hitch and making
                      sure the rings are properly aligned and as Joseph says makes sure
                      everything is taught before getting in makes it slip much less slip.

                      I keep wondering why some people have problem with ring slippage and
                      others don't. I'm not sure why it is, but I suspect it's because
                      people aren't going through all the steeps necessary to secure the
                      unit before hopping in their hammocks.

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Cabatu <jcabatu@...> wrote:

                      > Every now and then that would happen to me also. But what i do now
                      along with the half hitch is to give the webbing (mule rope) a tug to
                      lock the ring before putting any weight in the hammock. The seems to
                      have solve that problem.

                      > Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
                      On 5/29/07, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                      > > Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the
                      rings would
                      > > slip
                      > > when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.
                      >
                      > Secure with a final half hitch for security.
                      >
                      > Ralph Oborn

                    • Stuhr, Tim
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 31, 2007
                        Slippage could be a factor of the type of webbing used and the type of
                        knot tied to the rings to hold them together.

                        But the easiest and best security is a slippery half hitch right up
                        against the rings after you have tightened the webbing.

                        Stoikurt