Double layered hammock vs. Cold weather....

  • Tony Burnett
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 13, 2003
      Flyfisher;

      After thinking about your double layered hammock, I wonder how well
      it would keep you warm in colder weather (say less than 40F)? I
      realize that you could stuff items in between the layers, but won't
      they get "crushed"? Seems like the layer sandwich is good for
      holding compressible insulation in place (read pads), but it wouldn't
      help with lighter uncompressable insulation (a la taco).

      I know it has been a bit warm here in Ohio for you to get a change to
      test it in colder weather. But do you have any thoughts on the
      subject?

      I've been thinking hard about making my own, but still haven't made
      the final decision. Where did you find the material? Wal-Mart?

      =====
      Tony

      http://calendar.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 16, 2003
        Hi Tony,

        The double layer as I thought about it was really built to be able to
        use a pad for cool/cold weather without having to sleep directly on
        the pad in the hammock. I found that somewhat uncomfortable and it
        kept moving around too much for my liking.

        I believe it could be used in colder weather by putting some other
        rather uncompressable insulation under the pad in the double bottom,
        though it should not be so thick as to cause too much of the weight
        to be borne by the single bottom layer. This might include perhaps a
        quarter to a half inch of otherwise unusued clothes, for example.

        Rick

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tony Burnett