Tightening a Hennessy Hammock without undoing the lashing?

  • Catherine Proulx
    Message 1 of 11 , May 22, 2007
      Hi everyone,

      I've tried my brand new Hennessy Hammock this week-end (although I did not
      get to spend the night in it yet), and it was wonderful in all respects. I
      really look forward to try this in real wilderness.

      I am wondering if there's a way to retighten it after the initial stretching
      without undoing the whole setup? I'm using the recommended figure-eight
      lashing + 2 half hitches. Is another type of knot more appropriate?

      Thanks a lot!

      Catherine

    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 11 , May 26, 2007
        Catherine-

        You will soon be a pro at the figure-eight lashing. If you haven't had a tremendous amount of slip in the hanging lashings, just undo one of those and retighten that side. It will pull up the whole hammock.

        You DO know that the hammock does not have to be strung tightly, right? As long as the height is good for you, the hammock is basically centered between two trees (or whatever), and the ridge line is tight under your weight, you should be all set. The important part of the integrated non-stretching ridgeline, and why this is patented, is that this feature ensures the same hammock sag every time.

        Rosaleen

        Tightening a Hennessy Hammock without undoing the lashing?
        Posted by: "Catherine Proulx" cproulx@...<mailto:cproulx@...> kenanekena

        Message 3 of 11 , May 26, 2007
          When I used a Hennessy Hammock, I learned to do what Rosaleen said--
          don't hang it so taut to begin with. It will stretch a lot less that
          way and you can just hang it higher so you can live with the overnight
          stretch, I suggest allowing for 6 to 8 inches of drop overnight. I
          would be careful about experimenting with different types of knots and
          suggest you don't. Certain types of ropes don't release easily the
          next morning with cinching knots that have sharp turns under heavy
          load and some of the models of Hennessy Hammocks have ropes like that.
          The figure 8 works well with those ropes... don't overlook how nice
          it is to be able to untie the hammock from the tree in the morning. <grin>

          Dave

          <rosaleen43@...> wrote:

          > Catherine-
          >
          > You will soon be a pro at the figure-eight lashing. If you haven't
          had a tremendous amount of slip in the hanging lashings, just undo one
          of those and retighten that side. It will pull up the whole hammock.

          > You DO know that the hammock does not have to be strung tightly,
          right? As long as the height is good for you, the hammock is
          basically centered between two trees (or whatever), and the ridge line
          is tight under your weight, you should be all set. The important part
          of the integrated non-stretching ridgeline, and why this is patented,
          is that this feature ensures the same hammock sag every time.

          > Rosaleen
          >
          > Tightening a Hennessy Hammock without undoing the lashing?
          > Posted by: "Catherine Proulx" cproulx@...<mailto:cproulx@...>
          kenanekena
          > Date: Fri May 25, 2007 5:19 am ((PDT))
          >
          > Hi everyone,
          > (SNIP)
          >
          > I am wondering if there's a way to retighten it after the initial
          stretching
          > without undoing the whole setup? I'm using the recommended figure-eight
          > lashing + 2 half hitches. Is another type of knot more appropriate?
          >
          > Thanks a lot!
          >
          > Catherine

        • Catherine Proulx
          Message 4 of 11 , May 28, 2007
            Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!

            It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll stick with
            the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.

            Thanks,

            Catherine.

          • sebastiantoney
            Message 5 of 11 , May 29, 2007
              I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
              system like this one:
              http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html

              You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes it
              easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots of
              DIY are going it this way now.

              Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
              http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Proulx"
              <cproulx@...> wrote:

              > Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!
              >
              > It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll
              stick with
              > the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.
              >
              > Thanks,
              >
              > Catherine.

            • Scott
              Message 6 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the rings would slip
                when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.

                On 5/29/07, sebastiantoney <funbun2@...> wrote:

                > I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
                > system like this one:
                > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html
                >
                > You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes it
                > easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots of
                > DIY are going it this way now.
                >
                > Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
                > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565

                > "Catherine Proulx"

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                  On 5/29/07, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                  > Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the rings would
                  > slip
                  > when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.

                  Secure with a final half hitch for security.

                  Ralph Oborn

                • Sandy Kramer
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                    I use the Byer's of Maine Travelrope
                    http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?
                    productId=30560175&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226
                    &langId=-1

                    sandy in miami

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "sebastiantoney" <funbun2@...>
                    wrote:

                    > I say chunk the fig 8 lashing thing. Go with a Dual ring support
                    > system like this one:
                    > http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearRingBuckleSupports.html
                    >
                    > You can easily modify your Hennessy for this. Any this setup makes
                    it
                    > easy to adjust. Just one pull of the rope tightens it all up. Lots
                    of
                    > DIY are going it this way now.
                    >
                    > Here an insanely long thread on hammock forums:
                    > http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=565
                    >
                    > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Catherine Proulx"
                    > <cproulx@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Thanks Dave and Rosaleen!
                    > >
                    > > It's good to know that I don't need a perfectly taut setup. I'll
                    > stick with
                    > > the figure 8 lashing for the time being, and see how it goes.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks,
                    > >
                    > > Catherine.

                  • Joseph Cabatu
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 29, 2007
                      Every now and then that would happen to me also. But what i do now along with the half hitch is to give the webbing (mule rope) a tug to lock the ring before putting any weight in the hammock. The seems to have solve that problem.

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 30, 2007
                        Yeah, dual rings aren't idiot proof. I see a lot of people using 1.5
                        in inner dia ring with only 1 inch webbing. Hello. The wider the
                        webbing the more friction you get. That with the half hitch and making
                        sure the rings are properly aligned and as Joseph says makes sure
                        everything is taught before getting in makes it slip much less slip.

                        I keep wondering why some people have problem with ring slippage and
                        others don't. I'm not sure why it is, but I suspect it's because
                        people aren't going through all the steeps necessary to secure the
                        unit before hopping in their hammocks.

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Cabatu <jcabatu@...> wrote:

                        > Every now and then that would happen to me also. But what i do now
                        along with the half hitch is to give the webbing (mule rope) a tug to
                        lock the ring before putting any weight in the hammock. The seems to
                        have solve that problem.

                        > Ralph Oborn <Ralph.oborn@...> wrote:
                        On 5/29/07, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                        > > Becareful with the double-ring's. I had difficulty and the
                        rings would
                        > > slip
                        > > when I was in the hammock. Thus, I decided to go back to the knots.
                        >
                        > Secure with a final half hitch for security.
                        >
                        > Ralph Oborn

                      • Stuhr, Tim
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 31, 2007
                          Slippage could be a factor of the type of webbing used and the type of
                          knot tied to the rings to hold them together.

                          But the easiest and best security is a slippery half hitch right up
                          against the rings after you have tightened the webbing.

                          Stoikurt