Re: [Hammock Camping] My first hanging.

  • amendment2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , May 14, 2007
      I turn mine over in the morning and shake them hard. Sometimes I hang them
      on a tree with my pack and cover them both with a big plastic bag.

      Message 2 of 10 , May 14, 2007
        sounds like you may want to treat your hammock w/ permethrin.

        Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote: I had a bag hanging by a webbing strap from ridge line of my Hennessey
        Backpacking Ultralight. The bag was outside the hammock. A huge
        cricket (>1 inch long) somehow managed to join me inside the hammock.
        Imagine how much fun it is to catch a cricket when you and it are
        confined inside a hammock! I assume the cricket worked it's way inside
        through the gap made by the webbing of the bag. The rest of the velcro
        closure was closed. I don't think I had bits of sleeping bag poking
        through the closure.

        On the other hand, camping in central Alabama last summer, the place was
        literally crawling with ants. Huge 1/2 inch columns going up the north
        side of every tree. They started using tarp guylines and soon I had
        huge columns on my hammock. The velcro worked to keep them out. I
        would have noticed if they got in, because these ants bit.

        Anyone else had critters breaking and entering?

        CL

        amendment2@... wrote:
        > I turn mine over in the morning and shake them hard. Sometimes I hang them
        > on a tree with my pack and cover them both with a big plastic bag.

      • Cara Lin Bridgman
        Message 3 of 10 , May 14, 2007

          Message 4 of 10 , May 14, 2007
            Thanks for the suggestion, but Permethrin might not be necessary. So
            far, not hanging webbing through the Hennessey exit has worked to keep
            out crickets and ants. Hanging anything through might not keep out
            ants, but probably would keep out crickets. It makes me wonder how the
            Adventure Racer would work--no velcro. In other words, my point is that
            the velcro is important whether you're occupying the hammock or not.
            Some folks have pointed out the velcro mainly functions to keep things
            out when you're not in.

            CL

          • cass-rjp@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph
            Message 5 of 10 , May 14, 2007
              1. Buy or make an equipment hammock for your shoes and things. 2. If not, put
              your shoes inside a large ziplock bag, stuffsack, or any large plastic bag and
              hang it on your hammock suspension with a cord.
              Quoting mrbyer <mrbyer@...>:

              > I have finally gotten the chance to spend a weekend hanging. I spent a
              > long time reading and researching prior to taking the plunge. I am
              > really surprised it has taken me this long. Well it was a great
              > weekend, the weather dropped to the mid-high 30's and I was still
              > toasty warm. I am going again this weekend.
              >
              > One question for the group, what do you do with your shoes to keep
              > them accessible, dry, and not so the creepy-crawlies can get in them?
              >
              > mrb

              Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
              Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
              Message 6 of 10 , May 15, 2007
                yeah, i'll bet the adventure racer w/ no velcro could be a problem in certian situations.
                the velcro makes a pretty good seal.

                Message 7 of 10 , May 15, 2007
                  that's right. i forgot about the gear hammock. check out jeff's gear hammock on the JRB site. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List.htm

                  cass-rjp@... wrote: 1. Buy or make an equipment hammock for your shoes and things. 2. If not, put