Pad length

  • Jim Rubino
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 13, 2003
      I just purchased a blue pad to use in my hammock, I seemed to have some
      problems with my self inflating mattress "ballooning" up away from the foam
      inside it when I used it in the hammock. Now since this pad is longer than I
      am, I feel pretty comfortable with the fact that I need to cut it down some.
      My question is how much do I cut it down? Should it just match my height? If
      I cut it further won't I get sort of cold on my feet?

      Thanks!
    • Shane
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 13, 2003
        > My question is how much do I cut it down? Should it
        > just match my height? If I cut it further won't I
        > get sort of cold on my feet?

        I don't normally cut mine. When I do, I always make it three inches longer
        than I am tall.

        Shane
      • Debra Weisenstein
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 13, 2003
          I've generally sized my pads to exclude my head, since I use my fleece
          jacket for a pillow, but that's personal preference. Lately I've been
          using a Z-rest 3/4 cut into 2 pieces, with a 30 inch wide section
          under my shoulders and a 20 inch wide section under my butt and hips.
          The pad curves with the hammock better in the transverse direction.
          I use a fleece vest under my feet inside the sleeping bag.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jim Rubino" <jrubino@w...> wrote:
          > I just purchased a blue pad to use in my hammock, I seemed to have some
          > problems with my self inflating mattress "ballooning" up away from
          the foam
          > inside it when I used it in the hammock. Now since this pad is
          longer than I
          > am, I feel pretty comfortable with the fact that I need to cut it
          down some.
          > My question is how much do I cut it down? Should it just match my
          height? If
          > I cut it further won't I get sort of cold on my feet?
          >
          > Thanks!
        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 16, 2003
            I'd like to add that rounding the corners of the pad seems to make it fit
            better. On my favorite pad, both ends are actually semicircles. -- Bear
          • Dennis Rowell
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 16, 2005
              I just bought a Wal Mart Ozark Trails 24"x72" pad and I was wondering
              what length most hammock campers cut it to? I'm using a Hennessy
              hammock if that makes a difference. Also, do you taper the pad to
              save
              weight? Or should it be left full width? Thanks,

              Dennis
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 16, 2005
                Dennis,

                Most people find that a 24 inch wide pad is not quite wide enough. The
                old Target 27 inch wide pad was as narrow as I could ever stand.
                However, if I cut a narrow pad in half to make two 36 inch long pieces,
                then I find it quite possible to overlap the two pieces under me and end
                up with a very wide "overlap pad."

                http://www.imrisk.com/overlappad/overlap.htm

                The 36 inch length is enough to pad me from my shoulders to my hips,
                which is the important area to keep warm in a hammock.

                Risk

                Dennis Rowell wrote:

                > I just bought a Wal Mart Ozark Trails 24"x72" pad and I was wondering
                > what length most hammock campers cut it to? I'm using a Hennessy
                > hammock if that makes a difference. Also, do you taper the pad to
                > save
                > weight? Or should it be left full width? Thanks,
                >
                > Dennis

              • dlfrost_1
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 17, 2005
                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dennis Rowell"
                  <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
                  > I just bought a Wal Mart Ozark Trails 24"x72" pad and I was
                  wondering
                  > what length most hammock campers cut it to? I'm using a Hennessy
                  > hammock if that makes a difference. Also, do you taper the pad to
                  > save
                  > weight? Or should it be left full width?

                  You'll want to trim off the corners where they push into the sides of
                  the hammock (the left side of your head, right side at your feet).
                  If you don't, the pad will keep trying to center itself instead of
                  laying off-axis where you are.

                  Doug Frost
                • Bill in Houston
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 17, 2005
                    I find that my feet get cold, so I left mine full length. I do have
                    trouble from time to time with my shoulders landing on a cold spot, so
                    I want to find a way to get a little more width. The SPE looks like a
                    great way to do that.

                    Bill in Houston

                    <rowelldennis@y...> wrote:
                    > I just bought a Wal Mart Ozark Trails 24"x72" pad and I was
                    wondering
                    > what length most hammock campers cut it to? I'm using a Hennessy
                    > hammock if that makes a difference. Also, do you taper the pad to
                    > save
                    > weight? Or should it be left full width? Thanks,
                    >
                    > Dennis
                  • jwj32542
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 17, 2005
                      <zippydooda@y...> wrote:
                      > I find that my feet get cold, so I left mine full length.

                      Same here...I can't sleep well when my legs get cold, even from the
                      knees down. It's only about 3 oz of pad from knees to feet, I
                      think...worth the weight in my book.