Re: My first hanging.

  • n8mgmarty
    Message 1 of 10 , May 14, 2007
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "mrbyer" <mrbyer@...> wrote:

      > I have finally gotten the chance to spend a weekend hanging. I spent a
      > long time reading and researching prior to taking the plunge. I am
      > really surprised it has taken me this long. Well it was a great
      > weekend, the weather dropped to the mid-high 30's and I was still
      > toasty warm. I am going again this weekend.
      >
      > One question for the group, what do you do with your shoes to keep
      > them accessible, dry, and not so the creepy-crawlies can get in them?
      >
      > mrb

      Tie them together and hang them from the ridgeline or at the foot end
      of the hammock. With an HH I usually hang them from the inside
      ridgeline either with one of the hooks supplied with the hammock or an
      extra biner i have with. With my Speer hammock I just drape them tied
      together over the foot end of the hammock.

      Touch of Grey
      Message 2 of 10 , May 14, 2007
        a lot of people tie them to the hammock support rope or webbing, but if it rains they will get wet unless you cover them w/ a trash bag or some thing.
        some of us just have them setting on the ground, under the edge of the hammock... right were my feet go when i get up.
        if you're concerned about bugs & stuff getting into them, just turn each one upside down & give it a few good wacks.
        some people put them in their backpack beneath the hammock on the ground... maybe w/ a pack cover or trash bag over the pack if the rain is blowing. ...tim

        Message 3 of 10 , May 14, 2007
          I turn mine over in the morning and shake them hard. Sometimes I hang them
          on a tree with my pack and cover them both with a big plastic bag.

          Message 4 of 10 , May 14, 2007
            sounds like you may want to treat your hammock w/ permethrin.

            Cara Lin Bridgman <caralinb@...> wrote: I had a bag hanging by a webbing strap from ridge line of my Hennessey
            Backpacking Ultralight. The bag was outside the hammock. A huge
            cricket (>1 inch long) somehow managed to join me inside the hammock.
            Imagine how much fun it is to catch a cricket when you and it are
            confined inside a hammock! I assume the cricket worked it's way inside
            through the gap made by the webbing of the bag. The rest of the velcro
            closure was closed. I don't think I had bits of sleeping bag poking
            through the closure.

            On the other hand, camping in central Alabama last summer, the place was
            literally crawling with ants. Huge 1/2 inch columns going up the north
            side of every tree. They started using tarp guylines and soon I had
            huge columns on my hammock. The velcro worked to keep them out. I
            would have noticed if they got in, because these ants bit.

            Anyone else had critters breaking and entering?

            CL

            amendment2@... wrote:
            > I turn mine over in the morning and shake them hard. Sometimes I hang them
            > on a tree with my pack and cover them both with a big plastic bag.

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 10 , May 14, 2007

              Message 6 of 10 , May 14, 2007
                Thanks for the suggestion, but Permethrin might not be necessary. So
                far, not hanging webbing through the Hennessey exit has worked to keep
                out crickets and ants. Hanging anything through might not keep out
                ants, but probably would keep out crickets. It makes me wonder how the
                Adventure Racer would work--no velcro. In other words, my point is that
                the velcro is important whether you're occupying the hammock or not.
                Some folks have pointed out the velcro mainly functions to keep things
                out when you're not in.

                CL

              • cass-rjp@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph
                Message 7 of 10 , May 14, 2007
                  1. Buy or make an equipment hammock for your shoes and things. 2. If not, put
                  your shoes inside a large ziplock bag, stuffsack, or any large plastic bag and
                  hang it on your hammock suspension with a cord.
                  Quoting mrbyer <mrbyer@...>:

                  > I have finally gotten the chance to spend a weekend hanging. I spent a
                  > long time reading and researching prior to taking the plunge. I am
                  > really surprised it has taken me this long. Well it was a great
                  > weekend, the weather dropped to the mid-high 30's and I was still
                  > toasty warm. I am going again this weekend.
                  >
                  > One question for the group, what do you do with your shoes to keep
                  > them accessible, dry, and not so the creepy-crawlies can get in them?
                  >
                  > mrb

                  Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
                  Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 15, 2007
                    yeah, i'll bet the adventure racer w/ no velcro could be a problem in certian situations.
                    the velcro makes a pretty good seal.

                    Message 9 of 10 , May 15, 2007
                      that's right. i forgot about the gear hammock. check out jeff's gear hammock on the JRB site. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/index_files/Products%20List.htm

                      cass-rjp@... wrote: 1. Buy or make an equipment hammock for your shoes and things. 2. If not, put