Re: [Hammock Camping] TrailDays07 May 18-20, 2007

    Message 1 of 12 , May 13, 2007
      yep, i'm excited about helping out at the speer hammocks booth this year!
      thursday night i'll probably be like that kid in the disney commercial...
      "i'm too excited to sleep!!!".
      i hope to meet a lot of new folks as well as seeing old friends. looking forward! ...tim

      Ed Speer <ed@...> wrote:
      We hope everyone is planning to attend Trail Days next weekend in
      Damascus, VA. As usual, Speer Hammocks will have a booth in the
      vendor area--drop by & say 'Hi' & receive a special appreciation
      gift! Karen, Tim & I are looking forward to meeting everyone. Yes,
      Tim, our own 'Slowhike', will be helping at the booth this year.

      Speer Hammocks will be introducing several new products, including
      our improved hammock, 8x10 cat tarp, & the much-anticipated SnugFit
      UnderQuilt! These items are so new, they're not even on the website
      yet! Those lucky enough to make it to Trail Days will be the first
      to see and try our newest products!

      In addition, all hammocks & down items will be 10% during the show!
      OK, to be fair to all of our valued customers, including those who
      can't make Trail Days next weekend, the 10% off all hammocks and down
      items, starts at 9am tomorrow (Monday May 11, 2007) and runs til 5pm
      May 31, 2007!

      Come join us in celebrating the Appalachian Trail in Damascus next
      weekend--we'll be looking for ya!

      ....Ed

      Ed Speer
      Moderator, Hammock Camping List
      Author, Hammock Camping book
      Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters
      Owner, Speer Hammocks

    • Melissa
      Message 2 of 12 , May 13, 2007
        I wish I could be there, it sounds like a great time.

        Go Brian Canter (PBR) !!!!! Go Jennifer Santiago (WCL) !!!!!! wooohoooo
        !!!!!

        Message 3 of 12 , May 14, 2007
          if you're ever out this way in may, it's a pretty cool place to be. ...tim

          Melissa <mislilmis@...> wrote: I wish I could be there, it sounds like a great time.

          Message 4 of 12 , May 15, 2007
            Ed,

            Good luck answering all the questions you will get with all these
            products you have, especially the knew ones. I guess with each new
            product introduction you have to learn a new 'song and dance'
            routine... but I know you love it and you will have Karen there, and
            Slowhike as well, to keep you on key.

            Youngblood

            Message 5 of 12 , May 15, 2007
              Thanks Youngblood. Wish you could be there since the new underquilt is your
              design-we'llmiss you. Since announcing the underquilt yesterday, a lot has
              been happening with folks discussing it on the Hammock Forum and sending
              email questions to me-seems there is a lot of interest in it! So far, some
              folks seem to understand that the advanced design means improved function
              over other underquilts, even thought that translates into a higher price.
              However, some folks are focused only on weight & cost and are ignoring
              function-I think they'll see the light once they actually see your
              underquilt. Of course, Trail Days this weekend will be the first chance
              most have to see it in person. You've done a great job on the underquilt
              and we're proud you've chosen us to offer it. I like to think all of our
              hammock items are first rate and your SnugFit UnderQuilt fits right in..Ed

              Moderator, Hammock Camping List

              Editor, Hammock Camping News

              Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

              _____

              --- In hammockcamping@ <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
              yahoogroups.com, "Ed Speer" <ed@...> wrote:

              > We hope everyone is planning to attend Trail Days next weekend in
              > Damascus, VA. As usual, Speer Hammocks will have a booth in the
              > vendor area--drop by & say 'Hi' & receive a special appreciation
              > gift! Karen, Tim & I are looking forward to meeting everyone. Yes,
              > Tim, our own 'Slowhike', will be helping at the booth this year.
              >
              > Speer Hammocks will be introducing several new products, including
              > our improved hammock, 8x10 cat tarp, & the much-anticipated SnugFit
              > UnderQuilt! These items are so new, they're not even on the website
              > yet! Those lucky enough to make it to Trail Days will be the first
              > to see and try our newest products!
              >
              > In addition, all hammocks & down items will be 10% during the show!
              > OK, to be fair to all of our valued customers, including those who
              > can't make Trail Days next weekend, the 10% off all hammocks and down
              > items, starts at 9am tomorrow (Monday May 11, 2007) and runs til 5pm
              > May 31, 2007!
              >
              > Come join us in celebrating the Appalachian Trail in Damascus next
              > weekend--we'll be looking for ya!
              >
              > ....Ed
              >
              > Ed Speer
              > Moderator, Hammock Camping List
              > Author, Hammock Camping book
              > Editor, Hammock Camping Newsletters
              > Owner, Speer Hammocks

            • Richard Perlman
              Message 6 of 12 , May 15, 2007
                Hi Ed,

                Wish I could make it to Trail Days, but I'm busy with
                family obligations.

                Hmmm, SnugFit.... I'm guessing elastic baffles, like
                Montbell sleeping bags. Great idea!

                Anyway..........

                I had a heart breaking occurrence recently. I had
                just slung up my Speer 8.0A, got in to test the hang
                and I heard a rrrrrip. Yup, it tore - right below
                one of the knots. Luckily, I was car camping with my
                scout troop (I'm Scoutmaster) and I had the opportunity
                to have a latecomer stop at my house and pick up a
                replacement. If I was on the trail, it would have been
                a true test of my "Be Prepared" skills. LOL!

                I bought it used from the original
                owner, Sunny Waller, from Georgia, with a 700 fill
                PeaPod and Top Blanket. I absolutely love that
                system for "no bug" weather. I add the top blanket
                inside the peapod as a liner and I'm good to go
                into the low 20's. :-)

                What can be done? Can it be repaired? I just went to the
                web site and saw the Speer III. I love the idea of having
                a longer hammock with the same weight. I'm right at 6'0" tall.
                Would it be possible to
                simply replace the ripped nylon hammock bed with the new
                (longer) material and re-use the straps? Would my 8.0 PeaPod
                still work?
                I don't even need velcro for the bug netting as I don't
                use it. It just gets caught up on the PeaPod.

                Please let me know what's what. Thank you!

                All the best,

                Richard

                Richard F. Perlman
                Montclair Electronics, Inc.
                2525 Palmer Ave.
                New Rochelle, NY 10801
                P: 914-576-1400
                F: 914-636-0426
                E: richard@...

                Message 7 of 12 , May 15, 2007
                  Wow Richard, sorry to hear about your hammock-sounds like the same sun rot
                  problem that happened to me on a long-term test hammock. I won't trust any
                  repairs to that hammock, since the rest of the fabric might also be damaged
                  by sun exposure. So it looks like you need another hammock. I do sell
                  hammocks &/or kits without tarps, so that might be a viable option for you.

                  You asked about my just introduced Speer III model, but it's longer than
                  your original 8.0 model, so your 8.0 PeaPod would fit, but may be too snug.
                  I still have some 8.0As now on sale for $90 without the tarp, or 8.0A kits
                  for $64 without the tarp. Feel free to call if you need more
                  information..Ed

[...]

                  E: richard@montclairel <mailto:richard%40montclairelectronics.com>
                  ectronics.com

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 19, 2007
                    It was great seeing the new products at Trail Days Ed. As always, it
                    was nice to see you showing hammocks to people for the first time.

                    Rick

                    Message 9 of 12 , May 20, 2007
                      Glad you made it to TrailDays Rick. We just got home, exhausted as usual.
                      It was exciting to see so much interest in camping hammocks-5 vendors
                      selling their own models + the well-attended hammock section in the
                      campground. The real highlight of the TrailDays vendors this year must be
                      the greatly expanded presence of camping hammocks-it was really rewarding to
                      see such a change from prior years. Let's hope this is just the beginning
                      of great things to come----Ed

                      Message 10 of 12 , May 20, 2007
                        sorry i missed you rick. you weren't wearing a disguise were you?
                        it was a great weekend. it was really fun working w/ ed, karen, & G-force.
                        and i have great news (no i didn't just save a bunch of money by switching to gico).
                        i found the camera i thought was lost or stolen!!! it was in the outside pocket of my pack, underneath the rain jacket & pants!!! i slid my hand in there several times... but not far enough i guess??? oh well... no pictures of that trip<g>.
                        but i saw a bunch of people i knew & met some new folks. it was great! ...tim

                        Message 11 of 12 , May 20, 2007
                          Glad to hear that camera turned up tim...Ed

                          From: hammockcamping@ <mailto:hammockcamping%40yahoogroups.com>
                          yahoogroups.com [mailto:hammockcamping@