RE: [SPAM] [Hammock Camping] washing down quilt,etc

    Message 1 of 11 , May 12, 2007
      Glad you like the PeaPod & Top Blanket Tim. You're doing fine with the
      drying-it just takes a long time to get all of the moisture out. That down
      should be very fluffy when you're done. See ya next weekend end at
      TrailDays07..ed

      Moderator, Hammock Camping List

      Editor, Hammock Camping News

      Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

      _____

      Message 2 of 11 , May 12, 2007
        a "clean" tennis shoe??? what's that???<g>
        OK, i've herd that (& done that) many times in the past. but in recent times i herd somewhere not to put stuff like that in the dryer because it's hard on the baffles & seams.
        but both here & on the jacks r better website, it's still recommended, so i guess who ever said not to put stuff in the dryer to help break up the clumps was just being overly cautious.
        i've never seen evidence of a problem w/ the seems. thanks. ...tim

        karens62@... wrote:
        or a clean tennis shoe - you want something with a little weight that will break up those clumps as the dryer turns. A

        Message 3 of 11 , May 12, 2007
          yep, i ran it through 2 cycles in the dryer & it seemed that it was dry (or very close to dry), but when i put it on me in the hammock i could feel a slight dampness.
          but i decided to let my body heat dry it through the night.
          i've shone the pea pod & top blanket to several people that came over to the house. it's a truly versatile system. looking forward to trail days. ..tim

          Message 4 of 11 , May 12, 2007
            hehe... I think I'm going to like it here a lot! Thanks for letting me join
            your great group here!

            Go Brian Canter (PBR) !!!!! Go Jennifer Santiago (WCL) !!!!!! wooohoooo
            !!!!!
            Message 5 of 11 , May 12, 2007
              "Instructions for washing a down bag..
              First buy a 12 pack, you're going to need it.
              1. FILL your bath tub with water and down soap, warm water please. Drink
              a beer.
              2. Take your bag stuffed in it's small stuff sack submerge the whole
              thing and unstuff it under water. Allow it to (gasp) soak up the
              water/soap. Let it sit. Work it around etc for like 15 min. Drink a beer.
              3. Drain the water from the tube refill with clean warm water and make
              sure that you work the clean water into the bag to get all the soap out
              of the feathers. Drain again, and drink another beer
              4. Repeat step three, drinka' beer
              5. Repeat step three, drinka' nother
              6. "MUSH" all the water out of the bag and let it sit in the tub for a
              while to drain as much excess as you can. This a two beer time period,
              watch TV do something.
              7. Call a buddy, have him/her come over (they are going to drive you to
              the laundry mat, you're drunk). Give them a beer and have another your
              self. You have 3 beers left and $20 for a huge front loading dryer, and
              a two pack of tennis balls
              8. Take the bag, balls, and beer to the laundry mat. Throw the bag and
              balls into the FRONT loading dryer and turn the heat as low as possible.
              Sit and watch it spin and drink the remainder of your 12 pack, this is
              at least a 3 beer time period, if not more. Occasionally check to make
              sure that the down "clumps" are breakin' up and drying up good. Now the
              bag is clean and hopefully dry, let it air dry over night and you should
              be good to go in the morning. Well at least the bag will, you'll have a
              hang over "

              Accurate instructions with a little humor.

              Dick Matthews

                Message 7 of 11 , May 13, 2007
                  Great instructions, reading between the suds. (Hey, that's an idea! Can you
                  substitute books for beer? How many chapters = one 12 oz.?)
                  David

                  Live Hotmail.
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 13, 2007
                    good idea david. i don't drink, so reading between steps would work for me<g>. ...tim

                    David Elliott <delliott78@...> wrote: Great instructions, reading between the suds. (Hey, that's an idea! Can you