washing down quilt,etc

    Message 1 of 11 , May 11 7:20 PM
      i didn't see anything about this on the speer hammock site so i was
      wondering about washing the older version (sewn through construction)
      top blanket.
      i washed it w/ woolite, gentle cycle, but after running it through
      the dryer on low heat w/ a couple other things, it's still a little
      heavy w/ moister & the down is still clumping.
      i took it out & fluffed it around in my hands (trying not to be to
      rough though) & put it back in the dryer on medium heat.
      i'll keep an eye on it... don't want it to get hotter than needed.
      BTW ed... i'm loving the pea pod & top blanket! i've been using them
      at home... especially the top blanket. just right! thanks. ..tim
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 11 , May 11 8:30 PM
        Put it in the dryer with a couple of tennis balls.

        TV
      • karens62@aol.com
        Message 3 of 11 , May 12 4:47 AM
          or a clean tennis shoe - you want something with a little weight that will break up those clumps as the dryer turns. A

          Message 4 of 11 , May 12 5:14 AM
            Glad you like the PeaPod & Top Blanket Tim. You're doing fine with the
            drying-it just takes a long time to get all of the moisture out. That down
            should be very fluffy when you're done. See ya next weekend end at
            TrailDays07..ed

            Moderator, Hammock Camping List

            Editor, Hammock Camping News

            Owner, Speer Hammocks Inc

            _____

            Message 5 of 11 , May 12 5:22 AM
              a "clean" tennis shoe??? what's that???<g>
              OK, i've herd that (& done that) many times in the past. but in recent times i herd somewhere not to put stuff like that in the dryer because it's hard on the baffles & seams.
              but both here & on the jacks r better website, it's still recommended, so i guess who ever said not to put stuff in the dryer to help break up the clumps was just being overly cautious.
              i've never seen evidence of a problem w/ the seems. thanks. ...tim

              Message 6 of 11 , May 12 5:30 AM
                yep, i ran it through 2 cycles in the dryer & it seemed that it was dry (or very close to dry), but when i put it on me in the hammock i could feel a slight dampness.
                but i decided to let my body heat dry it through the night.
                i've shone the pea pod & top blanket to several people that came over to the house. it's a truly versatile system. looking forward to trail days. ..tim

                Message 7 of 11 , May 12 9:52 AM
                  hehe... I think I'm going to like it here a lot! Thanks for letting me join
                  your great group here!

                  Go Brian Canter (PBR) !!!!! Go Jennifer Santiago (WCL) !!!!!! wooohoooo
                  !!!!!
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 12 12:04 PM
                    "Instructions for washing a down bag..
                    First buy a 12 pack, you're going to need it.
                    1. FILL your bath tub with water and down soap, warm water please. Drink
                    a beer.
                    2. Take your bag stuffed in it's small stuff sack submerge the whole
                    thing and unstuff it under water. Allow it to (gasp) soak up the
                    water/soap. Let it sit. Work it around etc for like 15 min. Drink a beer.
                    3. Drain the water from the tube refill with clean warm water and make
                    sure that you work the clean water into the bag to get all the soap out
                    of the feathers. Drain again, and drink another beer
                    4. Repeat step three, drinka' beer
                    5. Repeat step three, drinka' nother
                    6. "MUSH" all the water out of the bag and let it sit in the tub for a
                    while to drain as much excess as you can. This a two beer time period,
                    watch TV do something.
                    7. Call a buddy, have him/her come over (they are going to drive you to
                    the laundry mat, you're drunk). Give them a beer and have another your
                    self. You have 3 beers left and $20 for a huge front loading dryer, and
                    a two pack of tennis balls
                    8. Take the bag, balls, and beer to the laundry mat. Throw the bag and
                    balls into the FRONT loading dryer and turn the heat as low as possible.
                    Sit and watch it spin and drink the remainder of your 12 pack, this is
                    at least a 3 beer time period, if not more. Occasionally check to make
                    sure that the down "clumps" are breakin' up and drying up good. Now the
                    bag is clean and hopefully dry, let it air dry over night and you should
                    be good to go in the morning. Well at least the bag will, you'll have a
                    hang over "

                    Accurate instructions with a little humor.

                    Dick Matthews

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 13 9:38 AM
                        Great instructions, reading between the suds. (Hey, that's an idea! Can you
                        substitute books for beer? How many chapters = one 12 oz.?)
                        David

                        Live Hotmail.
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 13 11:37 AM
                          good idea david. i don't drink, so reading between steps would work for me<g>. ...tim

                          David Elliott <delliott78@...> wrote: Great instructions, reading between the suds. (Hey, that's an idea! Can you