Re: [Hammock Camping] modified sleeping bag

  • gerzson
    Message 1 of 14 , May 8, 2007
      I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
      normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
      other. I sleep flat on the side usually.

      gerzson

      Message 2 of 14 , May 8, 2007
        With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
        set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
        larger hammocks.

        What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
        difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
        10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
        restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may have
        the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
        same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
        is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
        sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
        difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
        usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
        squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
        support.

        Dave

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

        > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
        > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
        > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
        >
        > gerzson
        >

        > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
        > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
        > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
        > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
        > >
        > > Jamie in AZ
        > >
        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:

        > > bomber
        > > >
        > > > This is also how I used mine in the last years:
        > > >
        > > http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
        > > 010108002354
        > > > (I am inside here)
        > > >
        > > > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
        > > > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
        > > work
        > > > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
        > > bag is
        > > > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
        > > > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
        > > torso
        > > > area where I could reach).
        > > >
        > > > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
        > > put
        > > > it over me.
        > > >
        > > > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
        > > for
        > > > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
        > > > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
        > > >
        > > > gerzson
        > > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 14 , May 8, 2007
          same here. The one thing I do miss using a bag as a quilt is being
          able to bend my knees as much when I want on my side. Whem on my
          back I can't get as diagional as befor but enough to get pretty
          flat. The bag kinda follows you as you move diagional. However, it
          is restricted in movement somewhat and dont bend as far as it would
          on a pad, thus the knee bend restriction. But leaving the pad at
          home is worth the trade off for me. Right now I am using a BA Lost
          Ranger and the dual core pad for the first time. Spent one night in
          my hammock and 2 on the ground so far (hiss.....) and it works
          great. A little tricky getting on the diagional in it too but I
          slept soundly all night long. I will have this info in a report for
          BGT soon and post a link.

          Coy Boy
          PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
          closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
          my Volt.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

          > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
          > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on
          the
          > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
          >
          > gerzson
          >

          > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
          > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
          > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
          > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
          > >
          > > Jamie in AZ

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 14 , May 8, 2007
            You musta been typing a reply the same timeIi was. no fair you being
            a faster typer... But, the extra lenght may be a big part of my
            comfort in the bag over hammock. Using a bag does make it fell a
            little shorter so my 11 foot hammock may fell more like a 9 footer.
            As you know, there is a limit on how long you can praqctiacally go.
            Any longer than around 11 or 12 fee and you will need a huge tarp (at
            least length wise bu width would stay about the same) plus need to be
            able to reach way up to tie it off high enough to stay clear of the
            ground.

            Coy Boy
            PS I forgot to mention in the other reply but Codys still doing well
            at the preaching school. ever time he comes home he preaches to
            me...and is ready for a long hike if he can find the time. He and
            another student are working on plans to go to Wyoming this summer
            though. I need a job that would let me tag along.

            > With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
            > set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
            > larger hammocks.
            >
            > What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
            > difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
            > 10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
            > restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may
            have
            > the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
            > same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
            > is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
            > sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
            > difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
            > usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
            > squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
            > support.
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you
            sleep
            > > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet
            on the
            > > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
            > >
            > > gerzson
            > >

            > > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@> wrote:
            > > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
            > > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on
            the "diagonal".
            > > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
            > > >
            > > > Jamie in AZ

            > > > bomber

            http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
            > > > 010108002354

            > > > work
            > > > bag is
            > > > torso

            > > > put

            > > > for

            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • gerzson
            Message 5 of 14 , May 9, 2007
              On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
              > PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
              > closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
              > my Volt.

              Here are the (unsorted) pics from last night.
              I made some close-ups of both ends.

              gerzson
            • gerzson
              Message 6 of 14 , May 9, 2007