Re: [Hammock Camping] modified sleeping bag

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7 11:27 PM
      I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
      sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
      Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?

      Jamie in AZ

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

      > On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
      > > for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
      > > over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a
      bomber
      > > hat.
      >
      > This is also how I used mine in the last years:

      http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
      010108002354
      > (I am inside here)
      >
      > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
      > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
      work
      > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
      bag is
      > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
      > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
      torso
      > area where I could reach).
      >
      > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
      put
      > it over me.
      >
      > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
      for
      > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
      > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
      >
      > gerzson

    • gerzson
      Message 2 of 14 , May 8 1:16 AM
        I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
        normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
        other. I sleep flat on the side usually.

        gerzson

        Message 3 of 14 , May 8 5:53 AM
          With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
          set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
          larger hammocks.

          What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
          difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
          10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
          restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may have
          the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
          same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
          is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
          sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
          difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
          usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
          squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
          support.

          Dave

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

          > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
          > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
          > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
          >
          > gerzson
          >

          > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
          > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
          > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
          > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
          > >
          > > Jamie in AZ
          > >
          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:

          > > bomber
          > > >
          > > > This is also how I used mine in the last years:
          > > >
          > > http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
          > > 010108002354
          > > > (I am inside here)
          > > >
          > > > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
          > > > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
          > > work
          > > > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
          > > bag is
          > > > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
          > > > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
          > > torso
          > > > area where I could reach).
          > > >
          > > > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
          > > put
          > > > it over me.
          > > >
          > > > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
          > > for
          > > > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
          > > > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
          > > >
          > > > gerzson
          > > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 14 , May 8 6:08 AM
            same here. The one thing I do miss using a bag as a quilt is being
            able to bend my knees as much when I want on my side. Whem on my
            back I can't get as diagional as befor but enough to get pretty
            flat. The bag kinda follows you as you move diagional. However, it
            is restricted in movement somewhat and dont bend as far as it would
            on a pad, thus the knee bend restriction. But leaving the pad at
            home is worth the trade off for me. Right now I am using a BA Lost
            Ranger and the dual core pad for the first time. Spent one night in
            my hammock and 2 on the ground so far (hiss.....) and it works
            great. A little tricky getting on the diagional in it too but I
            slept soundly all night long. I will have this info in a report for
            BGT soon and post a link.

            Coy Boy
            PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
            closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
            my Volt.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

            > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
            > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on
            the
            > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
            >
            > gerzson
            >

            > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
            > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
            > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
            > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
            > >
            > > Jamie in AZ

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 14 , May 8 6:34 AM
              You musta been typing a reply the same timeIi was. no fair you being
              a faster typer... But, the extra lenght may be a big part of my
              comfort in the bag over hammock. Using a bag does make it fell a
              little shorter so my 11 foot hammock may fell more like a 9 footer.
              As you know, there is a limit on how long you can praqctiacally go.
              Any longer than around 11 or 12 fee and you will need a huge tarp (at
              least length wise bu width would stay about the same) plus need to be
              able to reach way up to tie it off high enough to stay clear of the
              ground.

              Coy Boy
              PS I forgot to mention in the other reply but Codys still doing well
              at the preaching school. ever time he comes home he preaches to
              me...and is ready for a long hike if he can find the time. He and
              another student are working on plans to go to Wyoming this summer
              though. I need a job that would let me tag along.

              > With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
              > set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
              > larger hammocks.
              >
              > What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
              > difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
              > 10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
              > restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may
              have
              > the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
              > same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
              > is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
              > sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
              > difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
              > usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
              > squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
              > support.
              >
              > Dave
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you
              sleep
              > > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet
              on the
              > > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
              > >
              > > gerzson
              > >

              > > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@> wrote:
              > > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
              > > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on
              the "diagonal".
              > > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
              > > >
              > > > Jamie in AZ

              > > > bomber

              http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
              > > > 010108002354

              > > > work
              > > > bag is
              > > > torso

              > > > put

              > > > for

              > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • gerzson
              Message 6 of 14 , May 9 12:44 AM
                On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                > PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
                > closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
                > my Volt.

                Here are the (unsorted) pics from last night.
                I made some close-ups of both ends.

                gerzson
              • gerzson
                Message 7 of 14 , May 9 2:17 AM