Re: [Hammock Camping] modified sleeping bag

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7, 2007
      Cody is doing great. he is back to paintball wars in the woods and
      playing softball on a rec league team. His arm with the steel plate
      bothers him sometimes but all things considered that not bad.

      been thinking about a trip back to the Conasauga wildreness area
      sometime later when it gets hot. Might do the other trail over the
      mountian this time....I'll holler when I get a chance to go in case
      you can join me.

      Coy Boy

      > Coy,
      >
      > How are things... Cody in particular?
      >
      > Dave
      >
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did
      something
      > > like this.

      > > see photo that says wisp modification
      > >
      > > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in
      already
      > > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
      > >
      > > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
      > >
      > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
      > > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
      > > 20Report/
      > >
      > > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
      > > something similar.
      > >
      > > Coy Boy
      > >

      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > gerzon
      > > >
      > > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big
      picture

      > > > Pretty please??
      > > >
      > > > Tom
      > >
      > > garazon wrote

      > > the long edge.
      > > over the cut.

      > > > Miles of Smiles
      > > > Tom Blum
      > > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
      > > > 98Honda Superhawk
      > > > 93 Adventure ST
      > > > 85 V65 Sabre

    • gerzson
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7, 2007
        On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
        > for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
        > over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a bomber
        > hat.

        This is also how I used mine in the last years:
        http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927010108002354
        (I am inside here)

        But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
        another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to work
        with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the bag is
        upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
        cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the torso
        area where I could reach).

        The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I put
        it over me.

        Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper for
        it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
        remaining close to the hammock at the back.

        gerzson
      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 14 , May 7, 2007
          I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
          sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
          Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?

          Jamie in AZ

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

          > On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
          > > for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
          > > over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a
          bomber
          > > hat.
          >
          > This is also how I used mine in the last years:

          http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
          010108002354
          > (I am inside here)
          >
          > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
          > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
          work
          > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
          bag is
          > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
          > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
          torso
          > area where I could reach).
          >
          > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
          put
          > it over me.
          >
          > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
          for
          > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
          > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
          >
          > gerzson

        • gerzson
          Message 4 of 14 , May 8, 2007
            I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
            normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
            other. I sleep flat on the side usually.

            gerzson

            Message 5 of 14 , May 8, 2007
              With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
              set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
              larger hammocks.

              What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
              difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
              10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
              restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may have
              the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
              same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
              is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
              sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
              difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
              usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
              squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
              support.

              Dave

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

              > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
              > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
              > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
              >
              > gerzson
              >

              > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
              > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
              > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
              > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
              > >
              > > Jamie in AZ
              > >
              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:

              > > bomber
              > > >
              > > > This is also how I used mine in the last years:
              > > >
              > > http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
              > > 010108002354
              > > > (I am inside here)
              > > >
              > > > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
              > > > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
              > > work
              > > > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
              > > bag is
              > > > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
              > > > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
              > > torso
              > > > area where I could reach).
              > > >
              > > > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
              > > put
              > > > it over me.
              > > >
              > > > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
              > > for
              > > > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
              > > > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
              > > >
              > > > gerzson
              > > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                same here. The one thing I do miss using a bag as a quilt is being
                able to bend my knees as much when I want on my side. Whem on my
                back I can't get as diagional as befor but enough to get pretty
                flat. The bag kinda follows you as you move diagional. However, it
                is restricted in movement somewhat and dont bend as far as it would
                on a pad, thus the knee bend restriction. But leaving the pad at
                home is worth the trade off for me. Right now I am using a BA Lost
                Ranger and the dual core pad for the first time. Spent one night in
                my hammock and 2 on the ground so far (hiss.....) and it works
                great. A little tricky getting on the diagional in it too but I
                slept soundly all night long. I will have this info in a report for
                BGT soon and post a link.

                Coy Boy
                PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
                closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
                my Volt.

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

                > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on
                the
                > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                >
                > gerzson
                >

                > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
                > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
                > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                > >
                > > Jamie in AZ

                > > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Coy
                Message 7 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                  You musta been typing a reply the same timeIi was. no fair you being
                  a faster typer... But, the extra lenght may be a big part of my
                  comfort in the bag over hammock. Using a bag does make it fell a
                  little shorter so my 11 foot hammock may fell more like a 9 footer.
                  As you know, there is a limit on how long you can praqctiacally go.
                  Any longer than around 11 or 12 fee and you will need a huge tarp (at
                  least length wise bu width would stay about the same) plus need to be
                  able to reach way up to tie it off high enough to stay clear of the
                  ground.

                  Coy Boy
                  PS I forgot to mention in the other reply but Codys still doing well
                  at the preaching school. ever time he comes home he preaches to
                  me...and is ready for a long hike if he can find the time. He and
                  another student are working on plans to go to Wyoming this summer
                  though. I need a job that would let me tag along.

                  > With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
                  > set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
                  > larger hammocks.
                  >
                  > What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
                  > difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
                  > 10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
                  > restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may
                  have
                  > the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
                  > same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
                  > is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
                  > sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
                  > difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
                  > usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
                  > squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
                  > support.
                  >
                  > Dave
                  >
                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you
                  sleep
                  > > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet
                  on the
                  > > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                  > >
                  > > gerzson
                  > >

                  > > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@> wrote:
                  > > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                  > > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on
                  the "diagonal".
                  > > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                  > > >
                  > > > Jamie in AZ

                  > > > bomber

                  http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
                  > > > 010108002354

                  > > > work
                  > > > bag is
                  > > > torso

                  > > > put

                  > > > for

                  > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • gerzson
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 9, 2007
                    On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                    > PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
                    > closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
                    > my Volt.

                    Here are the (unsorted) pics from last night.
                    I made some close-ups of both ends.

                    gerzson
                  • gerzson
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 9, 2007