Re: [Hammock Camping] modified sleeping bag

    Message 1 of 14 , May 7, 2007
      Coy,

      How are things... Cody in particular?

      Dave

      > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did something
      > like this.

      > see photo that says wisp modification
      >
      > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in already
      > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
      >
      > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
      >
      > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
      > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
      > 20Report/
      >
      > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
      > something similar.
      >
      > Coy Boy
      >

      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
      > >
      > > gerzon
      > >
      > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big picture
      > >
      > > Pretty please??
      > >
      > > Tom
      >
      > garazon wrote
      >
      > > >The cuts are made in the following way:
      > > >First sew a long thin rectangle, then cut it in the middle along
      > the long edge.
      > > >Then reinforce the whole cut with another piece of ripstop bent
      > over the cut.
      > > >
      > > >gerzson
      > > >

      > > Miles of Smiles
      > > Tom Blum
      > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
      > > 98Honda Superhawk
      > > 93 Adventure ST
      > > 85 V65 Sabre

    • Coy
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7, 2007
        If I ever do another bag like the wisp, I would put the slit lower
        like yours. I might do one in the hood but for the wisp I just cut
        the whole hood off. for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
        over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a bomber
        hat.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

        > Yes Coy, it is something like this. But with a difference: at the
        foot
        > end the cut is at the lower "edge" of the bag when the bag is facing
        > upwards. This way I get plenty of feet space *in* the bag. Also I
        > think my cut is a bit smaller. A similar cut is made at the top of
        > hood. I will take some close-up pictures next time I camp (probably
        > tomorrow night).
        >
        > gerzson
        >
        > On 5/7/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
        > > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did
        something
        > > like this.

        > > see photo that says wisp modification
        > >
        > > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in
        already
        > > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
        > >
        > > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
        > >
        > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
        > > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
        > > 20Report/
        > >
        > > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
        > > something similar.
        > >
        > > Coy Boy
        > >

        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > gerzon
        > > >
        > > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big
        picture

        > > > Pretty please??
        > > >
        > > > Tom
        > >
        > > garazon wrote

        > > the long edge.
        > > over the cut.

        > > > Miles of Smiles
        > > > Tom Blum
        > > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
        > > > 98Honda Superhawk
        > > > 93 Adventure ST
        > > > 85 V65 Sabre
        > > >

        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 14 , May 7, 2007
          Cody is doing great. he is back to paintball wars in the woods and
          playing softball on a rec league team. His arm with the steel plate
          bothers him sometimes but all things considered that not bad.

          been thinking about a trip back to the Conasauga wildreness area
          sometime later when it gets hot. Might do the other trail over the
          mountian this time....I'll holler when I get a chance to go in case
          you can join me.

          Coy Boy

          > Coy,
          >
          > How are things... Cody in particular?
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did
          something
          > > like this.

          > > see photo that says wisp modification
          > >
          > > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in
          already
          > > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
          > >
          > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
          > > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
          > > 20Report/
          > >
          > > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
          > > something similar.
          > >
          > > Coy Boy
          > >

          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > gerzon
          > > >
          > > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big
          picture

          > > > Pretty please??
          > > >
          > > > Tom
          > >
          > > garazon wrote

          > > the long edge.
          > > over the cut.

          > > > Miles of Smiles
          > > > Tom Blum
          > > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
          > > > 98Honda Superhawk
          > > > 93 Adventure ST
          > > > 85 V65 Sabre

        • gerzson
          Message 4 of 14 , May 7, 2007
            On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
            > for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
            > over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a bomber
            > hat.

            This is also how I used mine in the last years:
            http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927010108002354
            (I am inside here)

            But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
            another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to work
            with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the bag is
            upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
            cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the torso
            area where I could reach).

            The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I put
            it over me.

            Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper for
            it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
            remaining close to the hammock at the back.

            gerzson
          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 14 , May 7, 2007
              I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
              sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
              Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?

              Jamie in AZ

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

              > On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
              > > for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
              > > over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a
              bomber
              > > hat.
              >
              > This is also how I used mine in the last years:

              http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
              010108002354
              > (I am inside here)
              >
              > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
              > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
              work
              > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
              bag is
              > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
              > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
              torso
              > area where I could reach).
              >
              > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
              put
              > it over me.
              >
              > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
              for
              > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
              > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
              >
              > gerzson

            • gerzson
              Message 6 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
                other. I sleep flat on the side usually.

                gerzson

                Message 7 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                  With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
                  set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
                  larger hammocks.

                  What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
                  difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
                  10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
                  restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may have
                  the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
                  same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
                  is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
                  sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
                  difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
                  usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
                  squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
                  support.

                  Dave

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

                  > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                  > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
                  > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                  >
                  > gerzson
                  >

                  > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
                  > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                  > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
                  > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                  > >
                  > > Jamie in AZ
                  > >
                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:

                  > > bomber
                  > > >
                  > > > This is also how I used mine in the last years:
                  > > >
                  > > http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
                  > > 010108002354
                  > > > (I am inside here)
                  > > >
                  > > > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
                  > > > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
                  > > work
                  > > > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
                  > > bag is
                  > > > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
                  > > > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
                  > > torso
                  > > > area where I could reach).
                  > > >
                  > > > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
                  > > put
                  > > > it over me.
                  > > >
                  > > > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
                  > > for
                  > > > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
                  > > > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
                  > > >
                  > > > gerzson
                  > > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Coy
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                    same here. The one thing I do miss using a bag as a quilt is being
                    able to bend my knees as much when I want on my side. Whem on my
                    back I can't get as diagional as befor but enough to get pretty
                    flat. The bag kinda follows you as you move diagional. However, it
                    is restricted in movement somewhat and dont bend as far as it would
                    on a pad, thus the knee bend restriction. But leaving the pad at
                    home is worth the trade off for me. Right now I am using a BA Lost
                    Ranger and the dual core pad for the first time. Spent one night in
                    my hammock and 2 on the ground so far (hiss.....) and it works
                    great. A little tricky getting on the diagional in it too but I
                    slept soundly all night long. I will have this info in a report for
                    BGT soon and post a link.

                    Coy Boy
                    PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
                    closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
                    my Volt.

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

                    > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                    > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on
                    the
                    > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                    >
                    > gerzson
                    >

                    > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
                    > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                    > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
                    > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                    > >
                    > > Jamie in AZ

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                      You musta been typing a reply the same timeIi was. no fair you being
                      a faster typer... But, the extra lenght may be a big part of my
                      comfort in the bag over hammock. Using a bag does make it fell a
                      little shorter so my 11 foot hammock may fell more like a 9 footer.
                      As you know, there is a limit on how long you can praqctiacally go.
                      Any longer than around 11 or 12 fee and you will need a huge tarp (at
                      least length wise bu width would stay about the same) plus need to be
                      able to reach way up to tie it off high enough to stay clear of the
                      ground.

                      Coy Boy
                      PS I forgot to mention in the other reply but Codys still doing well
                      at the preaching school. ever time he comes home he preaches to
                      me...and is ready for a long hike if he can find the time. He and
                      another student are working on plans to go to Wyoming this summer
                      though. I need a job that would let me tag along.

                      > With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
                      > set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
                      > larger hammocks.
                      >
                      > What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
                      > difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
                      > 10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
                      > restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may
                      have
                      > the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
                      > same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
                      > is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
                      > sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
                      > difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
                      > usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
                      > squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
                      > support.
                      >
                      > Dave
                      >
                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you
                      sleep
                      > > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet
                      on the
                      > > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                      > >
                      > > gerzson
                      > >

                      > > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@> wrote:
                      > > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                      > > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on
                      the "diagonal".
                      > > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                      > > >
                      > > > Jamie in AZ

                      > > > bomber

                      http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
                      > > > 010108002354

                      > > > work
                      > > > bag is
                      > > > torso

                      > > > put

                      > > > for

                      > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • gerzson
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 9, 2007
                        On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                        > PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
                        > closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
                        > my Volt.

                        Here are the (unsorted) pics from last night.
                        I made some close-ups of both ends.

                        gerzson
                      • gerzson
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 9, 2007