Re: Hammock for Boy Scout

  • kf7gd
    Message 1 of 5 , May 7, 2007
      I am new to hammock camping.

      I own one of the HH and it works well, easy to set up and fine in rain
      (I live in Seattle). I also have some speer hammocks usually used for
      my boys. Both are good quality and should work fine. After use I
      find I prefer the speer hammocks as they are more versitle.

      Good luck eithor should work fine.

      Art.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve & Polly" <stepol@...> wrote:

      > We are looking for a hammock system for a Boy Scout to use camping and
      > backpacking. It needs to include hanging system, rain cover, and
      > insect netting. He wants to be able to use the money in his scout
      > account to purchase it so we are looking for an inexpensive syatem but
      > he also camps over 50 nights a year with the Boys Scouts so we need a
      > good system for him. Last night he discovered Hennessy Hammocks and
      > their Scout hammock system selling complete for $80. He is only 5 feet
      > tall and 115 pound so I know the size will be okay. Is this a good
      > system? What do you recommend?
      >
      > Thanks!

    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 5 , May 7, 2007
        I'm partial to the Hennessy line-so much so that I help sell them. Ed Speer has a quality system. as well, so it is hard to go wrong with either line.

        If your requirements include the integrated bug netting and fly, go with the Hennessy. The Scout is a great model for a young person. Boys do not usually start out being gentle with gear. However, if your Scout does a lot of backpacking, he may be happier with a lighter model, such as the Backpacker Asym. It is a bit larger and significantly more expensive because it is made from more expensive materials. If you have some time before you NEED the hammock, keep and eye out for deals on used or demo hammocks. They pop up once in a while, sometimes even at the Hennessy site.

        Shoot me a personal E-mail if you want some ideas as to where to look for used hammocks.

        Best of luck!

        Rosaleen

        Hammock for Boy Scout
        Posted by: "Steve & Polly" stepol@...<mailto:stepol@...> stepol

        Message 3 of 5 , May 8, 2007
          I also have a HH and have found it to be dry during major storms. I would
          suggest getting the larger rain fly. This rain fly is nice to throw up when
          you get caught in a major storm while on the trail. There is an acquired
          manual dexterity needed to get out of the HH. Gary