Re: [Hammock Camping] modified sleeping bag

  • gerzson
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7 1:01 PM
      Yes Coy, it is something like this. But with a difference: at the foot
      end the cut is at the lower "edge" of the bag when the bag is facing
      upwards. This way I get plenty of feet space *in* the bag. Also I
      think my cut is a bit smaller. A similar cut is made at the top of
      hood. I will take some close-up pictures next time I camp (probably
      tomorrow night).

      gerzson

      Message 2 of 14 , May 7 3:23 PM
        Coy,

        How are things... Cody in particular?

        Dave

        > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did something
        > like this.

        > see photo that says wisp modification
        >
        > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in already
        > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
        >
        > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
        > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
        > 20Report/
        >
        > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
        > something similar.
        >
        > Coy Boy
        >

        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
        > >
        > > gerzon
        > >
        > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big picture
        > >
        > > Pretty please??
        > >
        > > Tom
        >
        > garazon wrote
        >
        > > >The cuts are made in the following way:
        > > >First sew a long thin rectangle, then cut it in the middle along
        > the long edge.
        > > >Then reinforce the whole cut with another piece of ripstop bent
        > over the cut.
        > > >
        > > >gerzson
        > > >

        > > Miles of Smiles
        > > Tom Blum
        > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
        > > 98Honda Superhawk
        > > 93 Adventure ST
        > > 85 V65 Sabre

      • Coy
        Message 3 of 14 , May 7 7:11 PM
          If I ever do another bag like the wisp, I would put the slit lower
          like yours. I might do one in the hood but for the wisp I just cut
          the whole hood off. for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
          over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a bomber
          hat.

          Coy Boy

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

          > Yes Coy, it is something like this. But with a difference: at the
          foot
          > end the cut is at the lower "edge" of the bag when the bag is facing
          > upwards. This way I get plenty of feet space *in* the bag. Also I
          > think my cut is a bit smaller. A similar cut is made at the top of
          > hood. I will take some close-up pictures next time I camp (probably
          > tomorrow night).
          >
          > gerzson
          >
          > On 5/7/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
          > > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did
          something
          > > like this.

          > > see photo that says wisp modification
          > >
          > > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in
          already
          > > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
          > >
          > > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
          > >
          > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
          > > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
          > > 20Report/
          > >
          > > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
          > > something similar.
          > >
          > > Coy Boy
          > >

          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > gerzon
          > > >
          > > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big
          picture

          > > > Pretty please??
          > > >
          > > > Tom
          > >
          > > garazon wrote

          > > the long edge.
          > > over the cut.

          > > > Miles of Smiles
          > > > Tom Blum
          > > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
          > > > 98Honda Superhawk
          > > > 93 Adventure ST
          > > > 85 V65 Sabre
          > > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 14 , May 7 7:19 PM
            Cody is doing great. he is back to paintball wars in the woods and
            playing softball on a rec league team. His arm with the steel plate
            bothers him sometimes but all things considered that not bad.

            been thinking about a trip back to the Conasauga wildreness area
            sometime later when it gets hot. Might do the other trail over the
            mountian this time....I'll holler when I get a chance to go in case
            you can join me.

            Coy Boy

            > Coy,
            >
            > How are things... Cody in particular?
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did
            something
            > > like this.

            > > see photo that says wisp modification
            > >
            > > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in
            already
            > > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
            > >
            > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
            > > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
            > > 20Report/
            > >
            > > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
            > > something similar.
            > >
            > > Coy Boy
            > >

            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > gerzon
            > > >
            > > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big
            picture

            > > > Pretty please??
            > > >
            > > > Tom
            > >
            > > garazon wrote

            > > the long edge.
            > > over the cut.

            > > > Miles of Smiles
            > > > Tom Blum
            > > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
            > > > 98Honda Superhawk
            > > > 93 Adventure ST
            > > > 85 V65 Sabre

          • gerzson
            Message 5 of 14 , May 7 10:04 PM
              On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
              > for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
              > over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a bomber
              > hat.

              This is also how I used mine in the last years:
              http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927010108002354
              (I am inside here)

              But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
              another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to work
              with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the bag is
              upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
              cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the torso
              area where I could reach).

              The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I put
              it over me.

              Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper for
              it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
              remaining close to the hammock at the back.

              gerzson
            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 14 , May 7 11:27 PM
                I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
                Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?

                Jamie in AZ

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

                > On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                > > for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
                > > over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a
                bomber
                > > hat.
                >
                > This is also how I used mine in the last years:

                http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
                010108002354
                > (I am inside here)
                >
                > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
                > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
                work
                > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
                bag is
                > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
                > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
                torso
                > area where I could reach).
                >
                > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
                put
                > it over me.
                >
                > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
                for
                > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
                > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
                >
                > gerzson

              • gerzson
                Message 7 of 14 , May 8 1:16 AM
                  I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                  normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
                  other. I sleep flat on the side usually.

                  gerzson

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 8 5:53 AM
                    With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
                    set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
                    larger hammocks.

                    What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
                    difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
                    10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
                    restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may have
                    the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
                    same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
                    is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
                    sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
                    difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
                    usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
                    squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
                    support.

                    Dave

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

                    > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                    > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
                    > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                    >
                    > gerzson
                    >

                    > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
                    > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                    > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
                    > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                    > >
                    > > Jamie in AZ
                    > >
                    > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:

                    > > bomber
                    > > >
                    > > > This is also how I used mine in the last years:
                    > > >
                    > > http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
                    > > 010108002354
                    > > > (I am inside here)
                    > > >
                    > > > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
                    > > > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
                    > > work
                    > > > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
                    > > bag is
                    > > > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
                    > > > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
                    > > torso
                    > > > area where I could reach).
                    > > >
                    > > > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
                    > > put
                    > > > it over me.
                    > > >
                    > > > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
                    > > for
                    > > > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
                    > > > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
                    > > >
                    > > > gerzson
                    > > >

                    > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • Coy
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 8 6:08 AM
                      same here. The one thing I do miss using a bag as a quilt is being
                      able to bend my knees as much when I want on my side. Whem on my
                      back I can't get as diagional as befor but enough to get pretty
                      flat. The bag kinda follows you as you move diagional. However, it
                      is restricted in movement somewhat and dont bend as far as it would
                      on a pad, thus the knee bend restriction. But leaving the pad at
                      home is worth the trade off for me. Right now I am using a BA Lost
                      Ranger and the dual core pad for the first time. Spent one night in
                      my hammock and 2 on the ground so far (hiss.....) and it works
                      great. A little tricky getting on the diagional in it too but I
                      slept soundly all night long. I will have this info in a report for
                      BGT soon and post a link.

                      Coy Boy
                      PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
                      closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
                      my Volt.

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

                      > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                      > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on
                      the
                      > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                      >
                      > gerzson
                      >

                      > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
                      > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                      > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
                      > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                      > >
                      > > Jamie in AZ

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Coy
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 8 6:34 AM
                        You musta been typing a reply the same timeIi was. no fair you being
                        a faster typer... But, the extra lenght may be a big part of my
                        comfort in the bag over hammock. Using a bag does make it fell a
                        little shorter so my 11 foot hammock may fell more like a 9 footer.
                        As you know, there is a limit on how long you can praqctiacally go.
                        Any longer than around 11 or 12 fee and you will need a huge tarp (at
                        least length wise bu width would stay about the same) plus need to be
                        able to reach way up to tie it off high enough to stay clear of the
                        ground.

                        Coy Boy
                        PS I forgot to mention in the other reply but Codys still doing well
                        at the preaching school. ever time he comes home he preaches to
                        me...and is ready for a long hike if he can find the time. He and
                        another student are working on plans to go to Wyoming this summer
                        though. I need a job that would let me tag along.

                        > With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
                        > set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
                        > larger hammocks.
                        >
                        > What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
                        > difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
                        > 10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
                        > restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may
                        have
                        > the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
                        > same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
                        > is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
                        > sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
                        > difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
                        > usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
                        > squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
                        > support.
                        >
                        > Dave
                        >
                        > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you
                        sleep
                        > > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet
                        on the
                        > > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                        > >
                        > > gerzson
                        > >

                        > > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@> wrote:
                        > > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                        > > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on
                        the "diagonal".
                        > > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                        > > >
                        > > > Jamie in AZ

                        > > > bomber

                        http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
                        > > > 010108002354

                        > > > work
                        > > > bag is
                        > > > torso

                        > > > put

                        > > > for

                        > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • gerzson
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 9 12:44 AM
                          On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                          > PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
                          > closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
                          > my Volt.

                          Here are the (unsorted) pics from last night.
                          I made some close-ups of both ends.

                          gerzson
                        • gerzson
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 9 2:17 AM