Reflective Fabric in Hammock Quilt

  • steveben3913
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2007
      I am looking a making a Kickass quilt and have an old Adventure Medical Thermo-Lite
      Emergency Bivy that I was thinking of adding as a reflective layer to the insulation in the
      quilt.

      I am wondering what everyones thoughts are on where it should be located? Should it be
      right next to the hammock and above the insulation where it would provide the best
      reflectance but may cause condensation or should the insulation be next to the hammock
      to trap air next to the body?

      Here is a link to the reflective fabric. It is not noisy like emergency blackets but I do not
      think that it is durrable enough to use on it's own so I think sandwiching it within the quilt
      would protect it better.

      http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%
      3Eprd_id=845524441894705&FOLDER%3C%
      3Efolder_id=2534374302696025&bmUID=1178566644663

      I mostly hike in the Canadian Rockies and the temperature often gets below freezing at
      night even in the summer. I have used the Hennessy undercover and underpad but did not
      find them very warm on their own so I am thinking that the Kickass quilt would provide
      better warmth.

      Are there are any other under quilt patterns that I should look at?

      Thanks for your thoughts.