Re: [Hammock Camping] modified sleeping bag

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 14 , May 7, 2007
      Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did something
      like this.

      see photo that says wisp modification

      or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in already
      which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.

      http://tinyurl.com/zmsab

      http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
      20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
      20Report/

      I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
      something similar.

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@...> wrote:

      > gerzon
      >
      > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big picture
      >
      > Pretty please??
      >
      > Tom

      garazon wrote

      > >The cuts are made in the following way:
      > >First sew a long thin rectangle, then cut it in the middle along
      the long edge.
      > >Then reinforce the whole cut with another piece of ripstop bent
      over the cut.

      > >gerzson
      > >

      > Miles of Smiles
      > Tom Blum
      > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
      > 98Honda Superhawk
      > 93 Adventure ST
      > 85 V65 Sabre

    • gerzson
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7, 2007
        Yes Coy, it is something like this. But with a difference: at the foot
        end the cut is at the lower "edge" of the bag when the bag is facing
        upwards. This way I get plenty of feet space *in* the bag. Also I
        think my cut is a bit smaller. A similar cut is made at the top of
        hood. I will take some close-up pictures next time I camp (probably
        tomorrow night).

        gerzson

        Message 3 of 14 , May 7, 2007
          Coy,

          How are things... Cody in particular?

          Dave

          > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did something
          > like this.

          > see photo that says wisp modification
          >
          > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in already
          > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
          >
          > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
          >
          > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
          > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
          > 20Report/
          >
          > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
          > something similar.
          >
          > Coy Boy
          >

          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
          > >
          > > gerzon
          > >
          > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big picture
          > >
          > > Pretty please??
          > >
          > > Tom
          >
          > garazon wrote
          >
          > > >The cuts are made in the following way:
          > > >First sew a long thin rectangle, then cut it in the middle along
          > the long edge.
          > > >Then reinforce the whole cut with another piece of ripstop bent
          > over the cut.
          > > >
          > > >gerzson
          > > >

          > > Miles of Smiles
          > > Tom Blum
          > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
          > > 98Honda Superhawk
          > > 93 Adventure ST
          > > 85 V65 Sabre

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 14 , May 7, 2007
            If I ever do another bag like the wisp, I would put the slit lower
            like yours. I might do one in the hood but for the wisp I just cut
            the whole hood off. for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
            over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a bomber
            hat.

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

            > Yes Coy, it is something like this. But with a difference: at the
            foot
            > end the cut is at the lower "edge" of the bag when the bag is facing
            > upwards. This way I get plenty of feet space *in* the bag. Also I
            > think my cut is a bit smaller. A similar cut is made at the top of
            > hood. I will take some close-up pictures next time I camp (probably
            > tomorrow night).
            >
            > gerzson
            >
            > On 5/7/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
            > > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did
            something
            > > like this.

            > > see photo that says wisp modification
            > >
            > > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in
            already
            > > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
            > >
            > > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
            > >
            > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
            > > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
            > > 20Report/
            > >
            > > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
            > > something similar.
            > >
            > > Coy Boy
            > >

            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > gerzon
            > > >
            > > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big
            picture

            > > > Pretty please??
            > > >
            > > > Tom
            > >
            > > garazon wrote

            > > the long edge.
            > > over the cut.

            > > > Miles of Smiles
            > > > Tom Blum
            > > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
            > > > 98Honda Superhawk
            > > > 93 Adventure ST
            > > > 85 V65 Sabre
            > > >

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 14 , May 7, 2007
              Cody is doing great. he is back to paintball wars in the woods and
              playing softball on a rec league team. His arm with the steel plate
              bothers him sometimes but all things considered that not bad.

              been thinking about a trip back to the Conasauga wildreness area
              sometime later when it gets hot. Might do the other trail over the
              mountian this time....I'll holler when I get a chance to go in case
              you can join me.

              Coy Boy

              > Coy,
              >
              > How are things... Cody in particular?
              >
              > Dave
              >
              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did
              something
              > > like this.

              > > see photo that says wisp modification
              > >
              > > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in
              already
              > > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
              > >
              > > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
              > >
              > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
              > > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
              > > 20Report/
              > >
              > > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
              > > something similar.
              > >
              > > Coy Boy
              > >

              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > gerzon
              > > >
              > > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big
              picture

              > > > Pretty please??
              > > >
              > > > Tom
              > >
              > > garazon wrote

              > > the long edge.
              > > over the cut.

              > > > Miles of Smiles
              > > > Tom Blum
              > > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
              > > > 98Honda Superhawk
              > > > 93 Adventure ST
              > > > 85 V65 Sabre

            • gerzson
              Message 6 of 14 , May 7, 2007
                On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                > for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
                > over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a bomber
                > hat.

                This is also how I used mine in the last years:
                http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927010108002354
                (I am inside here)

                But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
                another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to work
                with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the bag is
                upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
                cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the torso
                area where I could reach).

                The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I put
                it over me.

                Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper for
                it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
                remaining close to the hammock at the back.

                gerzson
              • chcoa
                Message 7 of 14 , May 7, 2007
                  I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                  sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
                  Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?

                  Jamie in AZ

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

                  > On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                  > > for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
                  > > over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a
                  bomber
                  > > hat.
                  >
                  > This is also how I used mine in the last years:

                  http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
                  010108002354
                  > (I am inside here)
                  >
                  > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
                  > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
                  work
                  > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
                  bag is
                  > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
                  > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
                  torso
                  > area where I could reach).
                  >
                  > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
                  put
                  > it over me.
                  >
                  > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
                  for
                  > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
                  > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
                  >
                  > gerzson

                • gerzson
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                    I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                    normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
                    other. I sleep flat on the side usually.

                    gerzson

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                      With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
                      set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
                      larger hammocks.

                      What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
                      difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
                      10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
                      restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may have
                      the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
                      same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
                      is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
                      sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
                      difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
                      usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
                      squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
                      support.

                      Dave

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

                      > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                      > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
                      > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                      >
                      > gerzson
                      >

                      > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
                      > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                      > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
                      > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                      > >
                      > > Jamie in AZ
                      > >
                      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:

                      > > bomber
                      > > >
                      > > > This is also how I used mine in the last years:
                      > > >
                      > > http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
                      > > 010108002354
                      > > > (I am inside here)
                      > > >
                      > > > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
                      > > > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
                      > > work
                      > > > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
                      > > bag is
                      > > > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
                      > > > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
                      > > torso
                      > > > area where I could reach).
                      > > >
                      > > > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
                      > > put
                      > > > it over me.
                      > > >
                      > > > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
                      > > for
                      > > > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
                      > > > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
                      > > >
                      > > > gerzson
                      > > >

                      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Coy
                      Message 10 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                        same here. The one thing I do miss using a bag as a quilt is being
                        able to bend my knees as much when I want on my side. Whem on my
                        back I can't get as diagional as befor but enough to get pretty
                        flat. The bag kinda follows you as you move diagional. However, it
                        is restricted in movement somewhat and dont bend as far as it would
                        on a pad, thus the knee bend restriction. But leaving the pad at
                        home is worth the trade off for me. Right now I am using a BA Lost
                        Ranger and the dual core pad for the first time. Spent one night in
                        my hammock and 2 on the ground so far (hiss.....) and it works
                        great. A little tricky getting on the diagional in it too but I
                        slept soundly all night long. I will have this info in a report for
                        BGT soon and post a link.

                        Coy Boy
                        PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
                        closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
                        my Volt.

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

                        > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                        > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on
                        the
                        > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                        >
                        > gerzson
                        >

                        > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
                        > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                        > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
                        > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                        > >
                        > > Jamie in AZ

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Coy
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                          You musta been typing a reply the same timeIi was. no fair you being
                          a faster typer... But, the extra lenght may be a big part of my
                          comfort in the bag over hammock. Using a bag does make it fell a
                          little shorter so my 11 foot hammock may fell more like a 9 footer.
                          As you know, there is a limit on how long you can praqctiacally go.
                          Any longer than around 11 or 12 fee and you will need a huge tarp (at
                          least length wise bu width would stay about the same) plus need to be
                          able to reach way up to tie it off high enough to stay clear of the
                          ground.

                          Coy Boy
                          PS I forgot to mention in the other reply but Codys still doing well
                          at the preaching school. ever time he comes home he preaches to
                          me...and is ready for a long hike if he can find the time. He and
                          another student are working on plans to go to Wyoming this summer
                          though. I need a job that would let me tag along.

                          > With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
                          > set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
                          > larger hammocks.
                          >
                          > What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
                          > difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
                          > 10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
                          > restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may
                          have
                          > the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
                          > same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
                          > is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
                          > sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
                          > difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
                          > usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
                          > squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
                          > support.
                          >
                          > Dave
                          >
                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you
                          sleep
                          > > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet
                          on the
                          > > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                          > >
                          > > gerzson
                          > >

                          > > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@> wrote:
                          > > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                          > > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on
                          the "diagonal".
                          > > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                          > > >
                          > > > Jamie in AZ

                          > > > bomber

                          http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
                          > > > 010108002354

                          > > > work
                          > > > bag is
                          > > > torso

                          > > > put

                          > > > for

                          > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • gerzson
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 9, 2007
                            On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                            > PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
                            > closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
                            > my Volt.

                            Here are the (unsorted) pics from last night.
                            I made some close-ups of both ends.

                            gerzson
                          • gerzson
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 9, 2007