Re: [Hammock Camping] modified sleeping bag

  • Tom Blum
    Message 1 of 14 , May 6, 2007
      gerzon

      a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big picture

      Pretty please??

      Tom

      >From: gerzson <gerzson@...>
      >Date: 2007/05/06 Sun AM 08:19:58 CDT
      >To: hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [Hammock Camping] modified sleeping bag

      >Hello,
      >
      >Recently some of my working colleagues became interested in my hammock
      >camping setup.
      >I quickly fixed them with some Speer hammocks and went out a few times
      >with them in the woods nearby.
      >I am using the hammock through sleeping bag system so this is what I
      >showed them.
      >Some of them were so enthusiastic that next day they modified their
      >sleeping bags making a 15cm cut in the hood and at the foot end so the
      >hammock can pas through properly in the right spots. I have tried one
      >of their modified bags and the increase in comfort was considerable.
      >So last night was my first night in my modified sleeping bag. A minor
      >modification with a great increase in comfort. No more cold spots at
      >the shoulder.
      >
      >The cuts are made in the following way:
      >First sew a long thin rectangle, then cut it in the middle along the long edge.
      >Then reinforce the whole cut with another piece of ripstop bent over the cut.
      >
      >gerzson

      Miles of Smiles
      Tom Blum
      scenic Winter Haven, Florida
      98Honda Superhawk
      93 Adventure ST
      85 V65 Sabre
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 14 , May 7, 2007
        Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did something
        like this.

        see photo that says wisp modification

        or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in already
        which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.

        http://tinyurl.com/zmsab

        http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
        20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
        20Report/

        I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
        something similar.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@...> wrote:

        > gerzon
        >
        > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big picture
        >
        > Pretty please??
        >
        > Tom

        garazon wrote

        > >The cuts are made in the following way:
        > >First sew a long thin rectangle, then cut it in the middle along
        the long edge.
        > >Then reinforce the whole cut with another piece of ripstop bent
        over the cut.

        > >gerzson
        > >

        > Miles of Smiles
        > Tom Blum
        > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
        > 98Honda Superhawk
        > 93 Adventure ST
        > 85 V65 Sabre

      • gerzson
        Message 3 of 14 , May 7, 2007
          Yes Coy, it is something like this. But with a difference: at the foot
          end the cut is at the lower "edge" of the bag when the bag is facing
          upwards. This way I get plenty of feet space *in* the bag. Also I
          think my cut is a bit smaller. A similar cut is made at the top of
          hood. I will take some close-up pictures next time I camp (probably
          tomorrow night).

          gerzson

          Message 4 of 14 , May 7, 2007
            Coy,

            How are things... Cody in particular?

            Dave

            > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did something
            > like this.

            > see photo that says wisp modification
            >
            > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in already
            > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
            >
            > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
            >
            > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
            > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
            > 20Report/
            >
            > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
            > something similar.
            >
            > Coy Boy
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
            > >
            > > gerzon
            > >
            > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big picture
            > >
            > > Pretty please??
            > >
            > > Tom
            >
            > garazon wrote
            >
            > > >The cuts are made in the following way:
            > > >First sew a long thin rectangle, then cut it in the middle along
            > the long edge.
            > > >Then reinforce the whole cut with another piece of ripstop bent
            > over the cut.
            > > >
            > > >gerzson
            > > >

            > > Miles of Smiles
            > > Tom Blum
            > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
            > > 98Honda Superhawk
            > > 93 Adventure ST
            > > 85 V65 Sabre

          • Coy
            Message 5 of 14 , May 7, 2007
              If I ever do another bag like the wisp, I would put the slit lower
              like yours. I might do one in the hood but for the wisp I just cut
              the whole hood off. for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
              over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a bomber
              hat.

              Coy Boy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

              > Yes Coy, it is something like this. But with a difference: at the
              foot
              > end the cut is at the lower "edge" of the bag when the bag is facing
              > upwards. This way I get plenty of feet space *in* the bag. Also I
              > think my cut is a bit smaller. A similar cut is made at the top of
              > hood. I will take some close-up pictures next time I camp (probably
              > tomorrow night).
              >
              > gerzson
              >
              > On 5/7/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
              > > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did
              something
              > > like this.

              > > see photo that says wisp modification
              > >
              > > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in
              already
              > > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
              > >
              > > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
              > >
              > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
              > > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
              > > 20Report/
              > >
              > > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
              > > something similar.
              > >
              > > Coy Boy
              > >

              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > gerzon
              > > >
              > > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big
              picture

              > > > Pretty please??
              > > >
              > > > Tom
              > >
              > > garazon wrote

              > > the long edge.
              > > over the cut.

              > > > Miles of Smiles
              > > > Tom Blum
              > > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
              > > > 98Honda Superhawk
              > > > 93 Adventure ST
              > > > 85 V65 Sabre
              > > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Coy
              Message 6 of 14 , May 7, 2007
                Cody is doing great. he is back to paintball wars in the woods and
                playing softball on a rec league team. His arm with the steel plate
                bothers him sometimes but all things considered that not bad.

                been thinking about a trip back to the Conasauga wildreness area
                sometime later when it gets hot. Might do the other trail over the
                mountian this time....I'll holler when I get a chance to go in case
                you can join me.

                Coy Boy

                > Coy,
                >
                > How are things... Cody in particular?
                >
                > Dave
                >
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Coy" <starnescr@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Tom, from reading garzon's description it sound like he did
                something
                > > like this.

                > > see photo that says wisp modification
                > >
                > > or you can buy severl bags with a foot vent zipper built in
                already
                > > which works. look at this report of the SD Volt for a good pic.
                > >
                > > http://tinyurl.com/zmsab
                > >
                > > http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Sleep%20Gear/Sleeping%
                > > 20Bags/Sierra%20Designs%20Glow%20and%20Volt/Coy%20Starnes/Field%
                > > 20Report/
                > >
                > > I'd like to see other photos as well. I think a few more here do
                > > something similar.
                > >
                > > Coy Boy
                > >

                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tom Blum <teblum@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > gerzon
                > > >
                > > > a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm fuzzy on the big
                picture

                > > > Pretty please??
                > > >
                > > > Tom
                > >
                > > garazon wrote

                > > the long edge.
                > > over the cut.

                > > > Miles of Smiles
                > > > Tom Blum
                > > > scenic Winter Haven, Florida
                > > > 98Honda Superhawk
                > > > 93 Adventure ST
                > > > 85 V65 Sabre

              • gerzson
                Message 7 of 14 , May 7, 2007
                  On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                  > for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
                  > over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a bomber
                  > hat.

                  This is also how I used mine in the last years:
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927010108002354
                  (I am inside here)

                  But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
                  another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to work
                  with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the bag is
                  upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
                  cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the torso
                  area where I could reach).

                  The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I put
                  it over me.

                  Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper for
                  it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
                  remaining close to the hammock at the back.

                  gerzson
                • chcoa
                  Message 8 of 14 , May 7, 2007
                    I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                    sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
                    Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?

                    Jamie in AZ

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

                    > On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                    > > for the volt I just let it hang or flip the bag
                    > > over in cold weather and look out the side kinda plus use a
                    bomber
                    > > hat.
                    >
                    > This is also how I used mine in the last years:

                    http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
                    010108002354
                    > (I am inside here)
                    >
                    > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
                    > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
                    work
                    > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
                    bag is
                    > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
                    > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
                    torso
                    > area where I could reach).
                    >
                    > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
                    put
                    > it over me.
                    >
                    > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
                    for
                    > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
                    > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
                    >
                    > gerzson

                  • gerzson
                    Message 9 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                      I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                      normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
                      other. I sleep flat on the side usually.

                      gerzson

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                        With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
                        set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
                        larger hammocks.

                        What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
                        difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
                        10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
                        restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may have
                        the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
                        same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
                        is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
                        sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
                        difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
                        usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
                        squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
                        support.

                        Dave

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

                        > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                        > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on the
                        > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                        >
                        > gerzson
                        >

                        > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
                        > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                        > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
                        > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                        > >
                        > > Jamie in AZ
                        > >
                        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:

                        > > bomber
                        > > >
                        > > > This is also how I used mine in the last years:
                        > > >
                        > > http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
                        > > 010108002354
                        > > > (I am inside here)
                        > > >
                        > > > But with the mentioned cold spots at the shoulder and there was
                        > > > another thing: the zipper cover (on the inside) was designed to
                        > > work
                        > > > with the bag facing upwards (hanging over the zipper). When the
                        > > bag is
                        > > > upside down the cover is no longer insulating the zipper and in the
                        > > > cold nights I kept pushing it over the zipper (at least in the
                        > > torso
                        > > > area where I could reach).
                        > > >
                        > > > The down jacket in the picture above made a big difference after I
                        > > put
                        > > > it over me.
                        > > >
                        > > > Another advantage of the two cuts is than I can now use the zipper
                        > > for
                        > > > it's intended purpose: cooling/ventilation, with the bag still
                        > > > remaining close to the hammock at the back.
                        > > >
                        > > > gerzson
                        > > >

                        > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Coy
                        Message 11 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                          same here. The one thing I do miss using a bag as a quilt is being
                          able to bend my knees as much when I want on my side. Whem on my
                          back I can't get as diagional as befor but enough to get pretty
                          flat. The bag kinda follows you as you move diagional. However, it
                          is restricted in movement somewhat and dont bend as far as it would
                          on a pad, thus the knee bend restriction. But leaving the pad at
                          home is worth the trade off for me. Right now I am using a BA Lost
                          Ranger and the dual core pad for the first time. Spent one night in
                          my hammock and 2 on the ground so far (hiss.....) and it works
                          great. A little tricky getting on the diagional in it too but I
                          slept soundly all night long. I will have this info in a report for
                          BGT soon and post a link.

                          Coy Boy
                          PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
                          closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
                          my Volt.

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@...> wrote:

                          > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you sleep
                          > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet on
                          the
                          > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                          >
                          > gerzson
                          >

                          > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote:
                          > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                          > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on the "diagonal".
                          > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                          > >
                          > > Jamie in AZ

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • Coy
                          Message 12 of 14 , May 8, 2007
                            You musta been typing a reply the same timeIi was. no fair you being
                            a faster typer... But, the extra lenght may be a big part of my
                            comfort in the bag over hammock. Using a bag does make it fell a
                            little shorter so my 11 foot hammock may fell more like a 9 footer.
                            As you know, there is a limit on how long you can praqctiacally go.
                            Any longer than around 11 or 12 fee and you will need a huge tarp (at
                            least length wise bu width would stay about the same) plus need to be
                            able to reach way up to tie it off high enough to stay clear of the
                            ground.

                            Coy Boy
                            PS I forgot to mention in the other reply but Codys still doing well
                            at the preaching school. ever time he comes home he preaches to
                            me...and is ready for a long hike if he can find the time. He and
                            another student are working on plans to go to Wyoming this summer
                            though. I need a job that would let me tag along.

                            > With a sleeping bag over the hammock, the sleeping bag will tend to
                            > set the 'effective' width and length of the hammock, especially with
                            > larger hammocks.
                            >
                            > What I'm trying to say is that most people will see a noticeable
                            > difference in the comfort of a 8 foot by 4 foot hammock bed versus a
                            > 10 foot by 5 foot hammock bed if you lay in them with no other
                            > restrictions. But if you put a sleeping bag over them, they may
                            have
                            > the same 'effective' width and length, therefore sleeping about the
                            > same-- making a 10x5 foot hammock feel like a 8x4 foot hammock. This
                            > is often the difference between sleeping on a slight diagonal versus
                            > sleeping on a more pronounced diagonal where there is a significant
                            > difference in comfort for many people. Longer and wider hammocks
                            > usually allow for a more pronounced diagonal with less shoulder
                            > squeeze, less hyper-extension of the knees and more comfortable back
                            > support.
                            >
                            > Dave
                            >
                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, gerzson <gerzson@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I do sleep in diagonal. The hammock is not expanded as if you
                            sleep
                            > > normally, but my head is on one side of the hammock and my feet
                            on the
                            > > other. I sleep flat on the side usually.
                            > >
                            > > gerzson
                            > >

                            > > On 5/8/07, chcoa <jdeben@> wrote:
                            > > > I''ve been using this method for two winters and I find I don't
                            > > > sleep as well because I'm not as able to sleep on
                            the "diagonal".
                            > > > Does anyone else experience this and have you found a solution?
                            > > >
                            > > > Jamie in AZ

                            > > > bomber

                            http://picasaweb.google.com/gerzson/20070203MaguraMarga/photo#5030927
                            > > > 010108002354

                            > > > work
                            > > > bag is
                            > > > torso

                            > > > put

                            > > > for

                            > > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • gerzson
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 9, 2007
                              On 5/8/07, Coy <starnescr@...> wrote:
                              > PS garizon, I saw your pic of the blue bag. If you could get one (a
                              > closeup) of the hood slit cut it would be great. I may try that on
                              > my Volt.

                              Here are the (unsorted) pics from last night.
                              I made some close-ups of both ends.

                              gerzson
                            • gerzson
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 9, 2007