Re: [Hammock Camping] hammock stand

    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2007
      I believe I have seen chairs made out of PVC, light weight aluminum,
      etc, and I feel that any material you can make a chair out of, you
      have a good chance of making a hammock stand out of. One of the big
      hurdles is the fittings to connect pieces together-- finding them in
      the right shapes and strong enough. If you could make whatever you
      wanted you could do it with a lot of different light weight materials.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

      > I would be afraid the PVC would not be strong enough. I guess if
      you came
      > up with the right design it might work. I have seen a lot of
      strange things
      > made with PVC, but never a hammock stand.
      >
      > --
      > Scott
      > www.AntiFuel.com
      > www.HikeHaven.com
      >
      > Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.
      >
      > On 5/1/07, scout27615 <gs@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I looked at Ed's metal and Risk's wood/metal hammock stands;
      however,
      > > has anyone built a stand from PVC pipe (schedule 40)? Thanks, gary

    • terry_and_pearl
      Message 2 of 5 , May 5, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "scout27615" <gs@...> wrote:

        > I looked at Ed's metal and Risk's wood/metal hammock stands; however,
        > has anyone built a stand from PVC pipe (schedule 40)? Thanks, gary

        Look at the plastic electrical conduit. Something like PVC, but gray
        and much stronger AND HEAVIER. Fittings might be a problem, don't
        know. But the stuff is very strong.