Re: [Hammock Camping] I need your suggestions......

  • Matthew Takeda
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 12, 2003
      Christina -

      Although my hammock is made of nylon, the base structure is similar to the
      one you bought. As a sailor, I worry a lot about chafe, which happens
      anywhere ropes or lines come into contact with sails. When I put my hammock
      together, I ran a short length of pvc tubing of appropriate diameter
      through the hem for the rope to run through. That way, the rope bears
      against the inside of the tubing, sparing the fabric. Perhaps you can do
      something similar?

      At 11-06-03 02:37 AM, you wrote:
      >I bought a tie-dye cotton hammock on eBay. It's a cute hammock, imported
      >from Thailand, but probably not worth what the seller was charging ~ not an
      >auction ~ I paid the *buy it now* price. It's 62 inches (5 ft. 1+ inch)
      >wide by 96 inches (8 ft.) long. Each end is hemmed. It came with a nylon
      >cord that is threaded through each end and then tied into loops. This is
      >how it hangs.
      >
      >I know that the material at the hems is going to begin to wear as soon as
      >the cord is threaded through it and it's hung with the weight of a person
      >in it.
      >
      >My question is this ~~~ is there a better way to hang this hammock than
      >what I just described?

      - Matthew Takeda
      - the JOAT