hammock stand

  • scout27615
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1, 2007
      I looked at Ed's metal and Risk's wood/metal hammock stands; however,
      has anyone built a stand from PVC pipe (schedule 40)? Thanks, gary
    • Scott
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1, 2007
        I would be afraid the PVC would not be strong enough. I guess if you came
        up with the right design it might work. I have seen a lot of strange things
        made with PVC, but never a hammock stand.

        --
        Scott
        www.AntiFuel.com

      • amendment2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 5 , May 2, 2007
          I think 3" would work.
          Dave Fox

          Message 4 of 5 , May 2, 2007
            I believe I have seen chairs made out of PVC, light weight aluminum,
            etc, and I feel that any material you can make a chair out of, you
            have a good chance of making a hammock stand out of. One of the big
            hurdles is the fittings to connect pieces together-- finding them in
            the right shapes and strong enough. If you could make whatever you
            wanted you could do it with a lot of different light weight materials.

            Youngblood

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

            > I would be afraid the PVC would not be strong enough. I guess if
            you came
            > up with the right design it might work. I have seen a lot of
            strange things
            > made with PVC, but never a hammock stand.
            >
            > --
            > Scott
            > www.AntiFuel.com
            > www.HikeHaven.com
            >
            > Minds are like parachutes, they only function when they are open.
            >
            > On 5/1/07, scout27615 <gs@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I looked at Ed's metal and Risk's wood/metal hammock stands;
            however,
            > > has anyone built a stand from PVC pipe (schedule 40)? Thanks, gary

          • terry_and_pearl
            Message 5 of 5 , May 5, 2007
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "scout27615" <gs@...> wrote:

              > I looked at Ed's metal and Risk's wood/metal hammock stands; however,
              > has anyone built a stand from PVC pipe (schedule 40)? Thanks, gary

              Look at the plastic electrical conduit. Something like PVC, but gray
              and much stronger AND HEAVIER. Fittings might be a problem, don't
              know. But the stuff is very strong.