Re: [Hammock Camping] "How to Make your own... (was Quilt Kit Help)

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 27, 2007
      :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)

      I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and Fastex
      buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that converts to
      a tent with no see'um mesh doors.

      sandy in miami

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
      <caralinb@...> wrote:

      > I've got Tramp Camping by W.L. Pember (so old it doesn't have a
      > publication year), Campcraft for Girl Guides (1957 edition of a
      1933
      > publication, no author), and Hiking and Lightweight Camping by A.M.
      > Maynard (1956). These books are full of great advice! With cotton
      and
      > wool and canvas and oilskins and glass bottles and aluminum boxes
      and
      > wood match boxes, pack weights were <25 lbs, including 2-3 days of
      food.

      > CL
      >
      > Sandy Kramer wrote:
      > > I think it was here (and fairly recently) that someone mentioned
      a book
      > > called "How to Make your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear."
      > >
      > > I went to Amazon and found it (used) really cheap so I ordered
      it. By
      > > Vick Rolling Hines. It's a large-sized paperback with a $14.95
      price
      > > but the cover illustration is really ancient looking. It was
      printed
      > > in April 1981 - 26 years ago!!
      > >
      > > I only paid $5.50 ($2 + 3.50 shipping) so that's not an issue,
      but I'm
      > > wondering if the new fabrics/accessories/designs make this book
      > > marginally useful. Another thought is whether there is a newer
      edition?

    • C C Wayah
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 29, 2007
        Samdi in Miami,
        Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
        Rogene

        > :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)
        >
        > I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and Fastex
        > buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that converts to
        > a tent with no see'um mesh doors.
        >
        > sandy in miami
      • Sandy Kramer
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 30, 2007
          book is now at home...i'll look for it.

          sandy in miami

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>

        • cass-rjp@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 30, 2007
            Hi sandy in miami
            would it be possible for you to post the instructions and pictures for this
            poncho/tent here. If i find it suitable I might even make a copy of it.
            Thank you in advance!
            Quoting Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>:

            > book is now at home...i'll look for it.
            >
            > sandy in miami
            >

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Samdi in Miami,
            > > Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
            > > Rogene
            > >

            > > > :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)
            > > >
            > > > I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and
            > Fastex
            > > > buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that
            > converts to
            > > > a tent with no see'um mesh doors.
            > > >
            > > > sandy in miami

            Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
            Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 19 , May 1, 2007
              I believe it is unethical (and possibly illegal?) to do that. And I
              don't want to get my little tush in a twist. :)

              but if you email me privately, I can explain how it is done.

              sandy in miami

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, cass-rjp@... wrote:

              > Hi sandy in miami
              > would it be possible for you to post the instructions and pictures
              for this
              > poncho/tent here. If i find it suitable I might even make a copy of
              it.
              > Thank you in advance!
              > Quoting Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>:
              >
              > > book is now at home...i'll look for it.
              > >
              > > sandy in miami
              > >

              > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Samdi in Miami,
              > > > Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
              > > > Rogene

              > > Fastex
              > > converts to

              > Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
              > Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph

            • Chuck Henderson
              Message 6 of 19 , May 1, 2007
                is this what you are looking for

                http://royrobinson.homestead.com/PonchoPlans.html

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"

                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2007
                  not exactly... see if you can find it online: Poncho/Tent by Vick
                  Roling Hines.

                  The sketch shows it rigged like a "real" pup tent with a bathtub
                  floor and a front screen door. The tied up head cover runs along the
                  center top.

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Henderson"

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 2, 2007
                    Hi Chuck, everybody!
                    I dont know if this the one sandy in miami is reffering to. But i've already
                    seen this one already. Thanks anyway!

                    Rene

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 2, 2007
                      there's a tarp tent pattern here: http://www.questoutfitters.com/

                      anyone really interested in the poncho/tent can email me privately.

                      sandy in miami

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 2, 2007
                        I met Mr Bilgy in Ct along the Housatonic with his tent.
                        He gave us hikers a grand tour of this tent. Sure made since in the heat of
                        that hiking trip. He said it kept him warm when he secured the side to the
                        ground closley
                        in cold weather..
                        I really liked that design for condenstion control and space.

                        Rogene