Re: [Hammock Camping] "How to Make your own... (was Quilt Kit Help)

  • Cara Lin Bridgman
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 26, 2007
      I've got Tramp Camping by W.L. Pember (so old it doesn't have a
      publication year), Campcraft for Girl Guides (1957 edition of a 1933
      publication, no author), and Hiking and Lightweight Camping by A.M.
      Maynard (1956). These books are full of great advice! With cotton and
      wool and canvas and oilskins and glass bottles and aluminum boxes and
      wood match boxes, pack weights were <25 lbs, including 2-3 days of food.

      CL

      Sandy Kramer wrote:
      > I think it was here (and fairly recently) that someone mentioned a book
      > called "How to Make your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear."
      >
      > I went to Amazon and found it (used) really cheap so I ordered it. By
      > Vick Rolling Hines. It's a large-sized paperback with a $14.95 price
      > but the cover illustration is really ancient looking. It was printed
      > in April 1981 - 26 years ago!!
      >
      > I only paid $5.50 ($2 + 3.50 shipping) so that's not an issue, but I'm
      > wondering if the new fabrics/accessories/designs make this book
      > marginally useful. Another thought is whether there is a newer edition?
    • Sandy Kramer
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 27, 2007
        :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)

        I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and Fastex
        buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that converts to
        a tent with no see'um mesh doors.

        sandy in miami

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
        <caralinb@...> wrote:

        > I've got Tramp Camping by W.L. Pember (so old it doesn't have a
        > publication year), Campcraft for Girl Guides (1957 edition of a
        1933
        > publication, no author), and Hiking and Lightweight Camping by A.M.
        > Maynard (1956). These books are full of great advice! With cotton
        and
        > wool and canvas and oilskins and glass bottles and aluminum boxes
        and
        > wood match boxes, pack weights were <25 lbs, including 2-3 days of
        food.

        > CL
        >
        > Sandy Kramer wrote:
        > > I think it was here (and fairly recently) that someone mentioned
        a book
        > > called "How to Make your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear."
        > >
        > > I went to Amazon and found it (used) really cheap so I ordered
        it. By
        > > Vick Rolling Hines. It's a large-sized paperback with a $14.95
        price
        > > but the cover illustration is really ancient looking. It was
        printed
        > > in April 1981 - 26 years ago!!
        > >
        > > I only paid $5.50 ($2 + 3.50 shipping) so that's not an issue,
        but I'm
        > > wondering if the new fabrics/accessories/designs make this book
        > > marginally useful. Another thought is whether there is a newer
        edition?

      • C C Wayah
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 29, 2007
          Samdi in Miami,
          Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
          Rogene

          > :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)
          >
          > I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and Fastex
          > buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that converts to
          > a tent with no see'um mesh doors.
          >
          > sandy in miami
        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 30, 2007
            book is now at home...i'll look for it.

            sandy in miami

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>

          • cass-rjp@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 30, 2007
              Hi sandy in miami
              would it be possible for you to post the instructions and pictures for this
              poncho/tent here. If i find it suitable I might even make a copy of it.
              Thank you in advance!
              Quoting Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>:

              > book is now at home...i'll look for it.
              >
              > sandy in miami
              >

              > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Samdi in Miami,
              > > Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
              > > Rogene
              > >

              > > > :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)
              > > >
              > > > I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and
              > Fastex
              > > > buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that
              > converts to
              > > > a tent with no see'um mesh doors.
              > > >
              > > > sandy in miami

              Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
              Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
            • Sandy Kramer
              Message 6 of 19 , May 1 9:03 AM
                I believe it is unethical (and possibly illegal?) to do that. And I
                don't want to get my little tush in a twist. :)

                but if you email me privately, I can explain how it is done.

                sandy in miami

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, cass-rjp@... wrote:

                > Hi sandy in miami
                > would it be possible for you to post the instructions and pictures
                for this
                > poncho/tent here. If i find it suitable I might even make a copy of
                it.
                > Thank you in advance!
                > Quoting Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>:
                >
                > > book is now at home...i'll look for it.
                > >
                > > sandy in miami
                > >

                > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Samdi in Miami,
                > > > Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
                > > > Rogene

                > > Fastex
                > > converts to

                > Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
                > Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph

              • Chuck Henderson
                Message 7 of 19 , May 1 12:25 PM
                  is this what you are looking for

                  http://royrobinson.homestead.com/PonchoPlans.html

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1 1:24 PM
                    not exactly... see if you can find it online: Poncho/Tent by Vick
                    Roling Hines.

                    The sketch shows it rigged like a "real" pup tent with a bathtub
                    floor and a front screen door. The tied up head cover runs along the
                    center top.

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Henderson"

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 2 3:17 AM
                      Hi Chuck, everybody!
                      I dont know if this the one sandy in miami is reffering to. But i've already
                      seen this one already. Thanks anyway!

                      Rene

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 2 9:05 AM
                        there's a tarp tent pattern here: http://www.questoutfitters.com/

                        anyone really interested in the poncho/tent can email me privately.

                        sandy in miami

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 2 2:36 PM
                          I met Mr Bilgy in Ct along the Housatonic with his tent.
                          He gave us hikers a grand tour of this tent. Sure made since in the heat of
                          that hiking trip. He said it kept him warm when he secured the side to the
                          ground closley
                          in cold weather..
                          I really liked that design for condenstion control and space.

                          Rogene