[Hammock Camping] "How to Make your own... (was Quilt Kit Help)

  • Sandy Kramer
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 26 1:33 PM
      I think it was here (and fairly recently) that someone mentioned a book
      called "How to Make your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear."

      I went to Amazon and found it (used) really cheap so I ordered it. By
      Vick Rolling Hines. It's a large-sized paperback with a $14.95 price
      but the cover illustration is really ancient looking. It was printed
      in April 1981 - 26 years ago!!

      I only paid $5.50 ($2 + 3.50 shipping) so that's not an issue, but I'm
      wondering if the new fabrics/accessories/designs make this book
      marginally useful. Another thought is whether there is a newer edition?

      Anyone have this book or cares to recommend another one?

      PS It was really cool to see a photo of Ed Speer and Sgt. Rock.

      sandy in miami

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

      > The clips work great, thanks for the tip... I learned a lot and my
      sewing skills have improved a great deal.

      > --
      > Scott
      > www.AntiFuel.com

    • Cara Lin Bridgman
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 26 6:44 PM
        I've got Tramp Camping by W.L. Pember (so old it doesn't have a
        publication year), Campcraft for Girl Guides (1957 edition of a 1933
        publication, no author), and Hiking and Lightweight Camping by A.M.
        Maynard (1956). These books are full of great advice! With cotton and
        wool and canvas and oilskins and glass bottles and aluminum boxes and
        wood match boxes, pack weights were <25 lbs, including 2-3 days of food.

        CL

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 27 10:27 AM
          :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)

          I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and Fastex
          buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that converts to
          a tent with no see'um mesh doors.

          sandy in miami

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
          <caralinb@...> wrote:

          > I've got Tramp Camping by W.L. Pember (so old it doesn't have a
          > publication year), Campcraft for Girl Guides (1957 edition of a
          1933
          > publication, no author), and Hiking and Lightweight Camping by A.M.
          > Maynard (1956). These books are full of great advice! With cotton
          and
          > wool and canvas and oilskins and glass bottles and aluminum boxes
          and
          > wood match boxes, pack weights were <25 lbs, including 2-3 days of
          food.

          > CL
          >
          > Sandy Kramer wrote:
          > > I think it was here (and fairly recently) that someone mentioned
          a book
          > > called "How to Make your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear."
          > >
          > > I went to Amazon and found it (used) really cheap so I ordered
          it. By
          > > Vick Rolling Hines. It's a large-sized paperback with a $14.95
          price
          > > but the cover illustration is really ancient looking. It was
          printed
          > > in April 1981 - 26 years ago!!
          > >
          > > I only paid $5.50 ($2 + 3.50 shipping) so that's not an issue,
          but I'm
          > > wondering if the new fabrics/accessories/designs make this book
          > > marginally useful. Another thought is whether there is a newer
          edition?

        • C C Wayah
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 29 3:32 PM
            Samdi in Miami,
            Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
            Rogene

            > :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)
            >
            > I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and Fastex
            > buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that converts to
            > a tent with no see'um mesh doors.
            >
            > sandy in miami
          • Sandy Kramer
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 30 8:21 AM
              book is now at home...i'll look for it.

              sandy in miami

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>

            • cass-rjp@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 30 7:31 PM
                Hi sandy in miami
                would it be possible for you to post the instructions and pictures for this
                poncho/tent here. If i find it suitable I might even make a copy of it.
                Thank you in advance!
                Quoting Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>:

                > book is now at home...i'll look for it.
                >
                > sandy in miami
                >

                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Samdi in Miami,
                > > Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
                > > Rogene
                > >

                > > > :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)
                > > >
                > > > I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and
                > Fastex
                > > > buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that
                > converts to
                > > > a tent with no see'um mesh doors.
                > > >
                > > > sandy in miami

                Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
                Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
              • Sandy Kramer
                Message 7 of 19 , May 1, 2007
                  I believe it is unethical (and possibly illegal?) to do that. And I
                  don't want to get my little tush in a twist. :)

                  but if you email me privately, I can explain how it is done.

                  sandy in miami

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, cass-rjp@... wrote:

                  > Hi sandy in miami
                  > would it be possible for you to post the instructions and pictures
                  for this
                  > poncho/tent here. If i find it suitable I might even make a copy of
                  it.
                  > Thank you in advance!
                  > Quoting Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>:
                  >
                  > > book is now at home...i'll look for it.
                  > >
                  > > sandy in miami
                  > >

                  > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@>
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Samdi in Miami,
                  > > > Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
                  > > > Rogene

                  > > Fastex
                  > > converts to

                  > Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
                  > Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph

                • Chuck Henderson
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 1, 2007
                    is this what you are looking for

                    http://royrobinson.homestead.com/PonchoPlans.html

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 1, 2007
                      not exactly... see if you can find it online: Poncho/Tent by Vick
                      Roling Hines.

                      The sketch shows it rigged like a "real" pup tent with a bathtub
                      floor and a front screen door. The tied up head cover runs along the
                      center top.

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Henderson"

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 2, 2007
                        Hi Chuck, everybody!
                        I dont know if this the one sandy in miami is reffering to. But i've already
                        seen this one already. Thanks anyway!

                        Rene

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 2, 2007
                          there's a tarp tent pattern here: http://www.questoutfitters.com/

                          anyone really interested in the poncho/tent can email me privately.

                          sandy in miami

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 2, 2007
                            I met Mr Bilgy in Ct along the Housatonic with his tent.
                            He gave us hikers a grand tour of this tent. Sure made since in the heat of
                            that hiking trip. He said it kept him warm when he secured the side to the
                            ground closley
                            in cold weather..
                            I really liked that design for condenstion control and space.

                            Rogene