Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock camping without bottom insulation

    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 25 4:40 AM
      No offense taken Andre. The details I provided were in response to your
      question - "What do you think?" I was just filling out the details of
      that July trip in Ohio for your further information.

      I wish I could spell enough German to express one of the nice idioms in
      the language when it is clear that any dispute that might have been
      imagined is over. I'll try and fail: "Al ist klar". Enjoy your hike!

      Rick

      André Corterier wrote:
      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
      >> I always carried two pads 36 inches long and 20 inches wide.
      > (50x90 cm)
      >> and then overlapped them by a hand's bredth under me. That way I
      > could
      >> have a nice wide pad in a hammock, or a double thickness on a hard
      >> floor, or a double length on the ground.
      >>
      >> And yes, the temperature I got cold was about 27 C. And yes, I was
      >> thinking that I had never experienced a night that warm in Germany.
      >>
      >> Tschüss!
      >> Rick
      >>

      > My "not likely" comment did not refer to your stated temperature but
      > was rather meant to indicate that it was not likely I would try doing
      > without a pad, given that information. I need to watch my phrasing
      > more in the Email medium. I'll take any statement of fact you make at
      > face value.
      >
      > I'll have some time to experiment with pad lengths and widths before
      > I try throughhiking the Rheinsteig. It now looks like it'll be the
      > first or second week of July. Probably the hottest time one could
      > pick for it, which is borderline stupid - I'd love to do it now, we
      > have the weirdest April right now. Looks set to go on record as the
      > warmest since regular measurements were taken a little over a century
      > ago. But July is when I'll have the chance to do a 10-day solo thing,
      > so July it is. I'll be reading your book again beforehand - it struck
      > me that I'm also going for 200 mi, though in less time and with much
      > less experience staying out for more than two consecutive nights. So
      > I'll make a point out of being prepared mentally.
      >
      > And as the Rheinsteig is beautiful all along, I've also decided not
      > to be bummed out if I don't make it all the way - what point in
      > arriving at Wiesbaden if I haven't enjoyed the journey? If it's just
      > about getting there fast, the train will take me there in two hours.
      >
      > André
      >
      >> André Corterier wrote:
      > comfortable
      > cooling
      >>> get
      >>> exactly

      >>> That's like what - 25 C? Not likely. I guess I'll be packing my
      > pad.
      >>> Can use something to stiffen up my pack, anyway. Maybe I'll try
      > cutting
      >>> it down to butt-to-shoulder size. What do you think?
      >>>
      >>> Thanks,
      >>>
      >>> André
      >>>

      >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
      >>>

      >> --
      >> Walk Well!
      >>
      >> Rick (Risk)
      >>
      >> *********************************
      >> http://www.imrisk.com
      >> author of
      >> A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
      >> www.wayahpress.com

      Walk Well!

      Rick (Risk)

      *********************************
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 26 7:19 AM
        <snip>
        > I wish I could spell enough German to express one of the nice idioms
        in
        > the language when it is clear that any dispute that might have been
        > imagined is over. I'll try and fail: "Al ist klar". Enjoy your
        hike!

        > Rick

        That's darn close. Impressive. "Alles klar" doesn't have a verb in
        there which makes it hard to remember, I guess - closest would be
        an "all clear" signal in the US, I guess.

        Thanks. First, I'll be enjoying a week around Lake Lucerne - I'll be
        checking in again on or around 7 May.

        André
      • C C Wayah
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 26 3:27 PM
          André
          Please
          Post pictures of your hike.
          It's been 40 years since I've seen Lake Lucern in person and post pictures
          of your other hike.

          Rogene
        • André Corterier
          Message 4 of 17 , May 9, 2007
            I've put up a few pictures of Lake Lucerne. There's not a hammock on
            anyone of them, so I put them in the photo section of BackpackingTalk.

            I hope the link works for everyone.

            André