Re: [Hammock Camping] Hammock camping without bottom insulation

  • André Corterier
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 25, 2007

      > I always carried two pads 36 inches long and 20 inches wide.
      (50x90 cm)
      > and then overlapped them by a hand's bredth under me. That way I
      could
      > have a nice wide pad in a hammock, or a double thickness on a hard
      > floor, or a double length on the ground.
      >
      > And yes, the temperature I got cold was about 27 C. And yes, I was
      > thinking that I had never experienced a night that warm in Germany.
      >
      > Tschüss!
      > Rick

      My "not likely" comment did not refer to your stated temperature but
      was rather meant to indicate that it was not likely I would try doing
      without a pad, given that information. I need to watch my phrasing
      more in the Email medium. I'll take any statement of fact you make at
      face value.

      I'll have some time to experiment with pad lengths and widths before
      I try throughhiking the Rheinsteig. It now looks like it'll be the
      first or second week of July. Probably the hottest time one could
      pick for it, which is borderline stupid - I'd love to do it now, we
      have the weirdest April right now. Looks set to go on record as the
      warmest since regular measurements were taken a little over a century
      ago. But July is when I'll have the chance to do a 10-day solo thing,
      so July it is. I'll be reading your book again beforehand - it struck
      me that I'm also going for 200 mi, though in less time and with much
      less experience staying out for more than two consecutive nights. So
      I'll make a point out of being prepared mentally.

      And as the Rheinsteig is beautiful all along, I've also decided not
      to be bummed out if I don't make it all the way - what point in
      arriving at Wiesbaden if I haven't enjoyed the journey? If it's just
      about getting there fast, the train will take me there in two hours.

      André

      > André Corterier wrote:
      > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@> wrote:
      > >> When the night-time temperature drops below 80 F I am not
      comfortable
      > >> without bottom insulation. When it is above 80, I enjoy the
      cooling
      > >> breeze of an uninsulated hammock until I begin to get cold, then
      > > get
      > >> up and put a piece of foam under me. I have had this experience
      > > exactly
      > >> once - July 4 when the daytime temperature was above 90 F.
      > >>
      > >> Rick
      > >
      > > That's like what - 25 C? Not likely. I guess I'll be packing my
      pad.
      > > Can use something to stiffen up my pack, anyway. Maybe I'll try
      cutting
      > > it down to butt-to-shoulder size. What do you think?
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > >
      > > André
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links
      > >

      > --
      > Walk Well!
      >
      > Rick (Risk)
      >
      > *********************************
      > http://www.imrisk.com
      > author of
      > A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
      > www.wayahpress.com
      > *********************************

    • André Corterier
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 25, 2007
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>
        wrote:

        > Even in the Everglades in July I use a Thermarest under me in my HH
        > Expedition. I sweat a good deal, and when I lie in the hammock it
        too gets
        > sweaty, which leads to nice cooling. At some point in the night I
        end up too
        > cool and put something under me. I may not need the thermarest -
        sometimes
        > just a fleece blanket will do. You won't know what works for you in
        those
        > conditions until you try it.

        Yes, a thermarest would definitely be too heavy for me. I believe an
        adequately-sized fleece blanket would also be heavier than the 5mm
        (0.2 inch) Evazote ccf pad I'm thinking of using.

        André

        July,
        > chances are it will be *warm*.
        >
        > So - is there a temperature at which y'all feel that no bottom
        > insulation is necessary in a hammock? (I'll be using a HH
        hammock.) I
        > can take my usual thin ccf pad which is only half a pound, but as
        I'm
        > looking at 25 miles per day with serious elevation changes, I'm
        looking
        > to go as lightweight as possible.
        >
        > André

      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 25, 2007
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "thc305" <jrp@...> wrote:

          > The Thermarest is essential for camping with a hammock and if you
          camp
          > next to a lake, you can also use it as a water hammock. Therma rest
          > make the best lounging chair in a lake. Fold one end up as a pillow
          and
          > lounge on the lake. You've never experience a pleasure such as
          this!
          > Promise. JR.

          I have found that I can do well with much lighter bottom insulation
          solutions (which will still do double duty on the ground, though at a
          severe decline in comfort) than an inflatable pad.

          The water hammock does sound intriguing and I will be passing by a
          couple of lakes (and in July, I will definitely want to go for a
          swim). But I am loathe to carry the extra weight just for that. I
          have a DownMat which I have yet to try out on water - I have read
          great things about them. I should get around to trying out this and a
          number of other impromptu water conveyances in September (we have an
          Outdoor camp scheduled which will see us doing such things).
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 25, 2007
            No offense taken Andre. The details I provided were in response to your
            question - "What do you think?" I was just filling out the details of
            that July trip in Ohio for your further information.

            I wish I could spell enough German to express one of the nice idioms in
            the language when it is clear that any dispute that might have been
            imagined is over. I'll try and fail: "Al ist klar". Enjoy your hike!

            Rick

            André Corterier wrote:
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
            >> I always carried two pads 36 inches long and 20 inches wide.
            > (50x90 cm)
            >> and then overlapped them by a hand's bredth under me. That way I
            > could
            >> have a nice wide pad in a hammock, or a double thickness on a hard
            >> floor, or a double length on the ground.
            >>
            >> And yes, the temperature I got cold was about 27 C. And yes, I was
            >> thinking that I had never experienced a night that warm in Germany.
            >>
            >> Tschüss!
            >> Rick
            >>

            > My "not likely" comment did not refer to your stated temperature but
            > was rather meant to indicate that it was not likely I would try doing
            > without a pad, given that information. I need to watch my phrasing
            > more in the Email medium. I'll take any statement of fact you make at
            > face value.
            >
            > I'll have some time to experiment with pad lengths and widths before
            > I try throughhiking the Rheinsteig. It now looks like it'll be the
            > first or second week of July. Probably the hottest time one could
            > pick for it, which is borderline stupid - I'd love to do it now, we
            > have the weirdest April right now. Looks set to go on record as the
            > warmest since regular measurements were taken a little over a century
            > ago. But July is when I'll have the chance to do a 10-day solo thing,
            > so July it is. I'll be reading your book again beforehand - it struck
            > me that I'm also going for 200 mi, though in less time and with much
            > less experience staying out for more than two consecutive nights. So
            > I'll make a point out of being prepared mentally.
            >
            > And as the Rheinsteig is beautiful all along, I've also decided not
            > to be bummed out if I don't make it all the way - what point in
            > arriving at Wiesbaden if I haven't enjoyed the journey? If it's just
            > about getting there fast, the train will take me there in two hours.
            >
            > André
            >
            >> André Corterier wrote:
            > comfortable
            > cooling
            >>> get
            >>> exactly

            >>> That's like what - 25 C? Not likely. I guess I'll be packing my
            > pad.
            >>> Can use something to stiffen up my pack, anyway. Maybe I'll try
            > cutting
            >>> it down to butt-to-shoulder size. What do you think?
            >>>
            >>> Thanks,
            >>>
            >>> André
            >>>

            >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
            >>>

            >> --
            >> Walk Well!
            >>
            >> Rick (Risk)
            >>
            >> *********************************
            >> http://www.imrisk.com
            >> author of
            >> A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
            >> www.wayahpress.com

            Walk Well!

            Rick (Risk)

            *********************************
            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 26, 2007
              <snip>
              > I wish I could spell enough German to express one of the nice idioms
              in
              > the language when it is clear that any dispute that might have been
              > imagined is over. I'll try and fail: "Al ist klar". Enjoy your
              hike!

              > Rick

              That's darn close. Impressive. "Alles klar" doesn't have a verb in
              there which makes it hard to remember, I guess - closest would be
              an "all clear" signal in the US, I guess.

              Thanks. First, I'll be enjoying a week around Lake Lucerne - I'll be
              checking in again on or around 7 May.

              André
            • C C Wayah
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 26, 2007
                André
                Please
                Post pictures of your hike.
                It's been 40 years since I've seen Lake Lucern in person and post pictures
                of your other hike.

                Rogene
              • André Corterier
                Message 7 of 17 , May 9 7:17 AM
                  I've put up a few pictures of Lake Lucerne. There's not a hammock on
                  anyone of them, so I put them in the photo section of BackpackingTalk.

                  I hope the link works for everyone.

                  André