Fabric for Fly & Hammock

  • alidisaster
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2003
      I've found some polyester lining fabric in my local habidashers -
      cheap at 1.75 stirling per metre - 156cm wide. Do I need it this
      wide? I'd like to make a double-layered hammock, so I can slip some
      insulation inbetween the layers, as described in flyfisher's quarter-
      weight hammock.

      For insulation, I was going to try 3mm laminate flooring insulation -
      I have lots of it, so I can try 1 layer, 2 layers etc. This is nice,
      flexible stuff, and it isn't waterproof, so should breath a little.

      The main problem I'm having is the fly - from my experiments, I think
      I need a 8' x 10' diamond. I'd like it to be as light as possible.
      www.pointnorth.co.uk have 150cm wide light ripstop for only 1.50
      stirling per metre - would that be suitable? Also, has anyone tried
      using tyvek as a sort of 'blanket' instead of a fly? Could be
      wrapped right around the hammock to make a tube tent.

      BTW, pointnorth also have silverised ripstop nylon - anyone ever used
      this stuff?
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2003
        Keep us posted on the insulation. Being breathable I suspect it is
        also crushable which may not work real good with the double layer
        hammock, but if you can get to the hang just below witout pulling
        tightly (smushing it down) it shold work great. 156 cm/ 60 inches is
        a bit wide but it depends on how you use it. As the hammocks wraps
        around you it would not be a big waste. In think you might cut it in
        half and be about right. About 100 cm/40 in would be the maximum,
        again depending on how you suspenend it. I use a 40 inch/100 cm
        reflectic pad inside my hammock but it is cut in a taper.

        The tyvek envelope would probably hold in body moisture to much
        unless you vent both ends pretty good. While Tyvek is breathable it
        is not very breathable.

        Havent seen the silverized nylon yet but it sounds interesting.

        Coy Boy

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "alidisaster"
        <alastair.dent@v...> wrote:
        > I've found some polyester lining fabric in my local habidashers -
        > cheap at 1.75 stirling per metre - 156cm wide. Do I need it this
        > wide? I'd like to make a double-layered hammock, so I can slip
        some
        > insulation inbetween the layers, as described in flyfisher's
        quarter-
        > weight hammock.
        >
        > For insulation, I was going to try 3mm laminate flooring
        insulation -
        > I have lots of it, so I can try 1 layer, 2 layers etc. This is
        nice,
        > flexible stuff, and it isn't waterproof, so should breath a little.
        >
        > The main problem I'm having is the fly - from my experiments, I
        think
        > I need a 8' x 10' diamond. I'd like it to be as light as
        possible.
        > www.pointnorth.co.uk have 150cm wide light ripstop for only 1.50
        > stirling per metre - would that be suitable? Also, has anyone
        tried
        > using tyvek as a sort of 'blanket' instead of a fly? Could be
        > wrapped right around the hammock to make a tube tent.
        >
        > BTW, pointnorth also have silverised ripstop nylon - anyone ever
        used
        > this stuff?
      • tcoug7
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 12, 2003
          > For insulation, I was going to try 3mm laminate flooring
          insulation -
          > I have lots of it, so I can try 1 layer, 2 layers etc. This is
          nice,
          > flexible stuff, and it isn't waterproof, so should breath a little.

          Is that the blue stuff? I have some of it left over from installing
          some laminate flooring too. It's pretty thin though. Several layers
          may work ok. The pocket would be nice to hold them together. You'll
          have to develop some sort of table where you would know how many
          layers for a given temp. - this would be especially important as the
          weather gets cooler, cause if there is ONE way of killing a good
          night in a hammock, it's the cold. Please, let us know how this works
          out. I may do experimenting myself. Right now, I've been playing a
          lot with reflectix...

          Tim
        • alidisaster
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2003
            The stuff I have is white - at first look, it seems to be
            polystyrene - but it is actually more like the stuff sometimes used
            to wrap fragile things in the post. Don't think it is very
            crushable - it is designed to go underneath floors! Tears easily,
            tho'

            I have packed enough in my rucksack to make a double layer. Last
            night I slept out in my cotton hammock without insulation - just for
            comparison purposes. It was too cold, woke up about 3 am. It was
            probably about 8C/40F & I was in a summerweight buffalo bag.
            Incidently, I think this may be an excellent hammock sleeping bag, as
            it has a central zip, and you can leave it open without it trying to
            dive over the side of the hammock.

            Will pick up some of the polyester lining today, and sleep in it
            tonight - that'll be interesting, because I'll have to assemble it in
            the dark. :-)

            I think I will try the full width - 60" to start with - this is the
            width given on the hammock wiki. I have enough underlay to do a
            single layer beneath this - full width, + a space blanket.
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 16, 2003
              Message
              Remember that any vapor barrier, like tyvek, will cause excessive condensation if wraped completely around an occupied hammock--unless there is a lot of ventilation to prevent it.  A vapor barrier tarp 2-3' above the hammock generally handles the condensation just fine.  Waterproof-breatherable fabrics, like gore-tex used in bivy sacs can also be VERY problematic.  Vapor barriers wraped around the bottom and sides of a hammock will greatly increase the warmth while body moisture is carried upward and escapes.  Vapor barrier bags completely around one's body inside a sleeping bag or hammock are also extremely effective, but the trapped moisture is uncomfortable for most folks--this is a cold weather technique, not appropriate for summer temps.

              Reflective silver colored ripstop could be useful: breatherable fabric for hammock bottoms (cool-cold temps), non-breatherable fabrics for vapor-barrier- bags (very cold temps). Would be interested hearing about your use of these...Ed