greetings fellow hammock makers

  • Tygerheart
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 12, 2003
      Hello, I was thrilled to find this group on yahoogroups. I simply did a
      search to see if others were discussing hammocks beside the info on my
      list and found this group. I've been lurking for a about a month while I
      read Ed's book. Now I'm ready to gather the materials and start a
      couple of camping hammocks a la Speer.
      My sister and I weave hammocks from cotton/poly cording and thought
      years ago they would be ideal for camping with a tarp over them .
      HOWEVER, we discovered our hammocks, ranging from 8 to 14 pounds, are
      WAY too heavy to take on a hike. I store mine in a huge Rubbermaid tote
      when not in use. I bet it would hold a Volkswagen though. :-D We call
      ours the Carolina Crescent Hammock.
      I'll be "hanging out" with my new camping hammock somewhere between
      Jones Gap and Devil's Fork State Parks in beautiful UpState SC as soon
      as I recover from knee surgery later in the fall.

      Regards,
      Carol

      PS - you can see our work here.
      http://www.angelfire.com/sc2/tygerheart/homepage2.html
    • Coy
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 12, 2003
        Hi Carol

        Glad you found us. You are right, big differance between a woven
        and solid fabric camping hammocks. Not knocking your hammocks but
        as you figgured out, to heave when you have to tote it. With your
        experience making a Speer should be a snap. You just missed a good
        chance to see some speers, a hennessy and a crazy crib in action on
        the first (second really) anual south easter hammock hangers hike on
        the Chatoga River. Good luck with the knee surgury.

        Coy Boy
        PS enjoyed the web site.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Tygerheart

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2003
          Message
          Hi again Carol.  Best of luck on your upcoming hammock camping.  I was in Jones Gap SP a few weeks ago--quite a secnic place, hard to believe it's in SC!   ...Ed