Hammock camping without bottom insulation

  • André Corterier
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 12 2:25 AM
      Hi folks,

      somehow I've never had a chance to hammock camp when it was really,
      really warm. But now I'm planning a 10-day throughhike of the
      Rheinsteig here in Germany and as it'll be late June or early July,
      chances are it will be *warm*.

      So - is there a temperature at which y'all feel that no bottom
      insulation is necessary in a hammock? (I'll be using a HH hammock.) I
      can take my usual thin ccf pad which is only half a pound, but as I'm
      looking at 25 miles per day with serious elevation changes, I'm looking
      to go as lightweight as possible.

      André
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 12 4:00 AM
        When the night-time temperature drops below 80 F I am not comfortable
        without bottom insulation. When it is above 80, I enjoy the cooling
        breeze of an uninsulated hammock until I begin to get cold, then I get
        up and put a piece of foam under me. I have had this experience exactly
        once - July 4 when the daytime temperature was above 90 F.

        Rick

        André Corterier wrote:
        > Hi folks,
        >
        > somehow I've never had a chance to hammock camp when it was really,
        > really warm. But now I'm planning a 10-day throughhike of the
        > Rheinsteig here in Germany and as it'll be late June or early July,
        > chances are it will be *warm*.
        >
        > So - is there a temperature at which y'all feel that no bottom
        > insulation is necessary in a hammock? (I'll be using a HH hammock.) I
        > can take my usual thin ccf pad which is only half a pound, but as I'm
        > looking at 25 miles per day with serious elevation changes, I'm looking
        > to go as lightweight as possible.
        >
        > André

        Walk Well!

        Rick (Risk)

        *********************************
        http://www.imrisk.com
        author of
        A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
        www.wayahpress.com
        *********************************
      • André Corterier
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 12 4:08 AM

          > When the night-time temperature drops below 80 F I am not comfortable
          > without bottom insulation. When it is above 80, I enjoy the cooling
          > breeze of an uninsulated hammock until I begin to get cold, then I
          get
          > up and put a piece of foam under me. I have had this experience
          exactly
          > once - July 4 when the daytime temperature was above 90 F.
          >
          > Rick

          That's like what - 25 C? Not likely. I guess I'll be packing my pad.
          Can use something to stiffen up my pack, anyway. Maybe I'll try cutting
          it down to butt-to-shoulder size. What do you think?

          Thanks,

          André
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 12 4:43 AM
            I always carried two pads 36 inches long and 20 inches wide. (50x90 cm)
            and then overlapped them by a hand's bredth under me. That way I could
            have a nice wide pad in a hammock, or a double thickness on a hard
            floor, or a double length on the ground.

            And yes, the temperature I got cold was about 27 C. And yes, I was
            thinking that I had never experienced a night that warm in Germany.

            Tschüss!
            Rick

            André Corterier wrote:
            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
            >> When the night-time temperature drops below 80 F I am not comfortable
            >> without bottom insulation. When it is above 80, I enjoy the cooling
            >> breeze of an uninsulated hammock until I begin to get cold, then I
            > get
            >> up and put a piece of foam under me. I have had this experience
            > exactly
            >> once - July 4 when the daytime temperature was above 90 F.
            >>
            >> Rick
            >
            > That's like what - 25 C? Not likely. I guess I'll be packing my pad.
            > Can use something to stiffen up my pack, anyway. Maybe I'll try cutting
            > it down to butt-to-shoulder size. What do you think?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > André

            Walk Well!

            Rick (Risk)

            Message 5 of 17 , Apr 12 6:33 AM
              A 3/4 length pad is really all that is necessary.

              --
              Scott
              www.AntiFuel.com

              On 4/12/07, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

              > I always carried two pads 36 inches long and 20 inches wide. (50x90 cm)
              > and then overlapped them by a hand's bredth under me. That way I could
              > have a nice wide pad in a hammock, or a double thickness on a hard
              > floor, or a double length on the ground.
              >
              > And yes, the temperature I got cold was about 27 C. And yes, I was
              > thinking that I had never experienced a night that warm in Germany.
              >
              > Tschüss!
              > Rick

            • Carey Parks
              Message 6 of 17 , Apr 12 7:30 AM
                Even in the Everglades in July I use a Thermarest under me in my HH
                Expedition. I sweat a good deal, and when I lie in the hammock it too gets
                sweaty, which leads to nice cooling. At some point in the night I end up too
                cool and put something under me. I may not need the thermarest - sometimes
                just a fleece blanket will do. You won't know what works for you in those
                conditions until you try it.

                Message 7 of 17 , Apr 12 7:36 AM
                  The Thermarest is essential for camping with a hammock and if you camp
                  next to a lake, you can also use it as a water hammock. Therma rest
                  make the best lounging chair in a lake. Fold one end up as a pillow and
                  lounge on the lake. You've never experience a pleasure such as this!
                  Promise. JR.
                • Catherine Proulx
                  Message 8 of 17 , Apr 12 8:30 AM
                    Are we talking with just a quilt, or a regular sleeping bag?

                    Catherine

                    On 4/12/07, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:

                    > When the night-time temperature drops below 80 F I am not comfortable
                    > without bottom insulation.
                    >
                    > Rick
                    >
                    > André Corterier wrote:
                    > >
                    > > So - is there a temperature at which y'all feel that no bottom
                    > > insulation is necessary in a hammock? (I'll be using a HH hammock.)

                  • Johan van Dijk
                    Message 9 of 17 , Apr 12 10:05 AM
                      André,

                      I have camped in my hammock in mostly warm/hot (and humid) temps. Coming
                      from Holland I grew accustomed to the warmer temps and I was comfy mostly
                      sleeping on top of a blanket. Or a combination of 2 sarongs underneath me.

                      Last weekend I slept in Luxembourgh Ardennes while appearantly it had been a
                      bit below zero. My compadres had some ice on there t*nts/bags while I was
                      comfy and toasty in my HH with a No Sniveler underquilt, a CC pad IN my
                      sleeping bag.

                      So I reckon you will need some form of under isolation... but try what will
                      work for you. Hee my neigbours think I am weird too when experimenting in
                      the backyard. Better to make mistakes there then ruining a weekend hike.

                      Just my 2 neighbourly cents ;-)

                      Grtz Johan

                      On 4/12/07, André Corterier <andre.corterier@...> wrote:

                      > Hi folks,
                      >
                      > somehow I've never had a chance to hammock camp when it was really,
                      > really warm. But now I'm planning a 10-day throughhike of the
                      > Rheinsteig here in Germany and as it'll be late June or early July,
                      > chances are it will be *warm*.
                      >
                      > So - is there a temperature at which y'all feel that no bottom
                      > insulation is necessary in a hammock? (I'll be using a HH hammock.) I
                      > can take my usual thin ccf pad which is only half a pound, but as I'm
                      > looking at 25 miles per day with serious elevation changes, I'm looking
                      > to go as lightweight as possible.
                      >
                      > André

                      mob: +31 6 44 80 82 63
                      email: gonewalkabout2003@...

                      http://www.geocities.com/johanvandijk
                      http://calendar.yahoo.com/johanvandijk

                    • Cara Lin Bridgman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Apr 12 11:40 AM
                        André Corterier wrote:
                        > So - is there a temperature at which y'all feel that no bottom
                        > insulation is necessary in a hammock? (I'll be using a HH hammock.)

                        Last summer in Alabama, it was hot in the day in the shade, so a HH was
                        stuffy, but at night it cooled to about 21*C and I needed some sort of
                        insulation for my back, but not for arms or legs.

                        I tend to sleep cold.

                        CL
                      • André Corterier
                        Message 11 of 17 , Apr 25 1:55 AM

                          > I always carried two pads 36 inches long and 20 inches wide.
                          (50x90 cm)
                          > and then overlapped them by a hand's bredth under me. That way I
                          could
                          > have a nice wide pad in a hammock, or a double thickness on a hard
                          > floor, or a double length on the ground.
                          >
                          > And yes, the temperature I got cold was about 27 C. And yes, I was
                          > thinking that I had never experienced a night that warm in Germany.
                          >
                          > Tschüss!
                          > Rick

                          My "not likely" comment did not refer to your stated temperature but
                          was rather meant to indicate that it was not likely I would try doing
                          without a pad, given that information. I need to watch my phrasing
                          more in the Email medium. I'll take any statement of fact you make at
                          face value.

                          I'll have some time to experiment with pad lengths and widths before
                          I try throughhiking the Rheinsteig. It now looks like it'll be the
                          first or second week of July. Probably the hottest time one could
                          pick for it, which is borderline stupid - I'd love to do it now, we
                          have the weirdest April right now. Looks set to go on record as the
                          warmest since regular measurements were taken a little over a century
                          ago. But July is when I'll have the chance to do a 10-day solo thing,
                          so July it is. I'll be reading your book again beforehand - it struck
                          me that I'm also going for 200 mi, though in less time and with much
                          less experience staying out for more than two consecutive nights. So
                          I'll make a point out of being prepared mentally.

                          And as the Rheinsteig is beautiful all along, I've also decided not
                          to be bummed out if I don't make it all the way - what point in
                          arriving at Wiesbaden if I haven't enjoyed the journey? If it's just
                          about getting there fast, the train will take me there in two hours.

                          André

                          > André Corterier wrote:
                          > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@> wrote:
                          > >> When the night-time temperature drops below 80 F I am not
                          comfortable
                          > >> without bottom insulation. When it is above 80, I enjoy the
                          cooling
                          > >> breeze of an uninsulated hammock until I begin to get cold, then
                          > > get
                          > >> up and put a piece of foam under me. I have had this experience
                          > > exactly
                          > >> once - July 4 when the daytime temperature was above 90 F.
                          > >>
                          > >> Rick
                          > >
                          > > That's like what - 25 C? Not likely. I guess I'll be packing my
                          pad.
                          > > Can use something to stiffen up my pack, anyway. Maybe I'll try
                          cutting
                          > > it down to butt-to-shoulder size. What do you think?
                          > >
                          > > Thanks,
                          > >
                          > > André
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >

                          > --
                          > Walk Well!
                          >
                          > Rick (Risk)
                          >
                          > *********************************
                          > http://www.imrisk.com
                          > author of
                          > A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                          > www.wayahpress.com
                          > *********************************

                        • André Corterier
                          Message 12 of 17 , Apr 25 2:01 AM
                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Even in the Everglades in July I use a Thermarest under me in my HH
                            > Expedition. I sweat a good deal, and when I lie in the hammock it
                            too gets
                            > sweaty, which leads to nice cooling. At some point in the night I
                            end up too
                            > cool and put something under me. I may not need the thermarest -
                            sometimes
                            > just a fleece blanket will do. You won't know what works for you in
                            those
                            > conditions until you try it.

                            Yes, a thermarest would definitely be too heavy for me. I believe an
                            adequately-sized fleece blanket would also be heavier than the 5mm
                            (0.2 inch) Evazote ccf pad I'm thinking of using.

                            André

                          • André Corterier
                            Message 13 of 17 , Apr 25 2:08 AM
                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "thc305" <jrp@...> wrote:

                              > The Thermarest is essential for camping with a hammock and if you
                              camp
                              > next to a lake, you can also use it as a water hammock. Therma rest
                              > make the best lounging chair in a lake. Fold one end up as a pillow
                              and
                              > lounge on the lake. You've never experience a pleasure such as
                              this!
                              > Promise. JR.

                              I have found that I can do well with much lighter bottom insulation
                              solutions (which will still do double duty on the ground, though at a
                              severe decline in comfort) than an inflatable pad.

                              The water hammock does sound intriguing and I will be passing by a
                              couple of lakes (and in July, I will definitely want to go for a
                              swim). But I am loathe to carry the extra weight just for that. I
                              have a DownMat which I have yet to try out on water - I have read
                              great things about them. I should get around to trying out this and a
                              number of other impromptu water conveyances in September (we have an
                              Outdoor camp scheduled which will see us doing such things).
                              Message 14 of 17 , Apr 25 4:40 AM
                                No offense taken Andre. The details I provided were in response to your
                                question - "What do you think?" I was just filling out the details of
                                that July trip in Ohio for your further information.

                                I wish I could spell enough German to express one of the nice idioms in
                                the language when it is clear that any dispute that might have been
                                imagined is over. I'll try and fail: "Al ist klar". Enjoy your hike!

                                Rick

                                André Corterier wrote:
                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Rick <ra1@...> wrote:
                                >> I always carried two pads 36 inches long and 20 inches wide.
                                > (50x90 cm)
                                >> and then overlapped them by a hand's bredth under me. That way I
                                > could
                                >> have a nice wide pad in a hammock, or a double thickness on a hard
                                >> floor, or a double length on the ground.
                                >>
                                >> And yes, the temperature I got cold was about 27 C. And yes, I was
                                >> thinking that I had never experienced a night that warm in Germany.
                                >>
                                >> Tschüss!
                                >> Rick
                                >>

                                > My "not likely" comment did not refer to your stated temperature but
                                > was rather meant to indicate that it was not likely I would try doing
                                > without a pad, given that information. I need to watch my phrasing
                                > more in the Email medium. I'll take any statement of fact you make at
                                > face value.
                                >
                                > I'll have some time to experiment with pad lengths and widths before
                                > I try throughhiking the Rheinsteig. It now looks like it'll be the
                                > first or second week of July. Probably the hottest time one could
                                > pick for it, which is borderline stupid - I'd love to do it now, we
                                > have the weirdest April right now. Looks set to go on record as the
                                > warmest since regular measurements were taken a little over a century
                                > ago. But July is when I'll have the chance to do a 10-day solo thing,
                                > so July it is. I'll be reading your book again beforehand - it struck
                                > me that I'm also going for 200 mi, though in less time and with much
                                > less experience staying out for more than two consecutive nights. So
                                > I'll make a point out of being prepared mentally.
                                >
                                > And as the Rheinsteig is beautiful all along, I've also decided not
                                > to be bummed out if I don't make it all the way - what point in
                                > arriving at Wiesbaden if I haven't enjoyed the journey? If it's just
                                > about getting there fast, the train will take me there in two hours.
                                >
                                > André
                                >
                                >> André Corterier wrote:
                                > comfortable
                                > cooling
                                >>> get
                                >>> exactly

                                >>> That's like what - 25 C? Not likely. I guess I'll be packing my
                                > pad.
                                >>> Can use something to stiffen up my pack, anyway. Maybe I'll try
                                > cutting
                                >>> it down to butt-to-shoulder size. What do you think?
                                >>>
                                >>> Thanks,
                                >>>
                                >>> André
                                >>>

                                >>> Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >>>

                                >> --
                                >> Walk Well!
                                >>
                                >> Rick (Risk)
                                >>
                                >> *********************************
                                >> http://www.imrisk.com
                                >> author of
                                >> A Wildly Successful 200 Mile Hike
                                >> www.wayahpress.com

                                Walk Well!

                                Rick (Risk)

                                *********************************
                                Message 15 of 17 , Apr 26 7:19 AM
                                  <snip>
                                  > I wish I could spell enough German to express one of the nice idioms
                                  in
                                  > the language when it is clear that any dispute that might have been
                                  > imagined is over. I'll try and fail: "Al ist klar". Enjoy your
                                  hike!

                                  > Rick

                                  That's darn close. Impressive. "Alles klar" doesn't have a verb in
                                  there which makes it hard to remember, I guess - closest would be
                                  an "all clear" signal in the US, I guess.

                                  Thanks. First, I'll be enjoying a week around Lake Lucerne - I'll be
                                  checking in again on or around 7 May.

                                  André
                                • C C Wayah
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 26 3:27 PM
                                    André
                                    Please
                                    Post pictures of your hike.
                                    It's been 40 years since I've seen Lake Lucern in person and post pictures
                                    of your other hike.

                                    Rogene
                                  • André Corterier
                                    Message 17 of 17 , May 9, 2007
                                      I've put up a few pictures of Lake Lucerne. There's not a hammock on
                                      anyone of them, so I put them in the photo section of BackpackingTalk.

                                      I hope the link works for everyone.

                                      André