Re: [Hammock Camping] Hennessy Explorer Asym Ultralite undercovers and under pads looking for reviews

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2007
      I bought one last year. It seems to work pretty well if the temp doesn't
      drop below 50 deg F. I sleep warm too. This eliminates much of the
      mountain season for me. I usually wear long bicycle pants for sleeping
      (spandex type), and a long sleeve shirt. Sometimes a hat.

      The pad rips easily, but can be fixed with duct tape. Mine has already
      ripped in various places.

      The super shelter is heavier than a quilt and a larger tarp too.

      I am currently in the process of making an overquilt so I can use my JRB
      nest under my hammock and not using the super shelter this year.

      Oh, an underquilt is a little easier to setup in the dark when it is raining
      too.

      I have never tried an emergency blanket. Emergency blankets are not
      breathable so this can cause a problem with condensation.

      For me, the better choice is a larger tarp with an underquilt.

      However, the supershelter has some advantages. For example, it dries
      (condensation) quicker than a quilt, the ripstop is waterproof, and it is a
      better windbreaker than an underquilt. Although, a larger tarp can make up
      for much of this, and gives you more room too.

      I hope this helps.

      --
      Scott
      www.AntiFuel.com