Hennessy Explorer Asym Ultralite undercovers and under pads looking for reviews

  • sails123man
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2007
      Hi, I'm new to the group and I am looking for information on how well
      the HH undercover and underpad works. Thanks Carl
    • Thomas Vickers
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2007
        I like the undercover. I have used it, the underpad, and a silver emergency
        blanket down to about 26 F.

        The colder it gets, the harder it can be keep warm, but the sleep I get is
        well worth it.

        The pad is rather bulky to pack in my opinion, but I still carry it.

        TV
      • Scott
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 2007
          I bought one last year. It seems to work pretty well if the temp doesn't
          drop below 50 deg F. I sleep warm too. This eliminates much of the
          mountain season for me. I usually wear long bicycle pants for sleeping
          (spandex type), and a long sleeve shirt. Sometimes a hat.

          The pad rips easily, but can be fixed with duct tape. Mine has already
          ripped in various places.

          The super shelter is heavier than a quilt and a larger tarp too.

          I am currently in the process of making an overquilt so I can use my JRB
          nest under my hammock and not using the super shelter this year.

          Oh, an underquilt is a little easier to setup in the dark when it is raining
          too.

          I have never tried an emergency blanket. Emergency blankets are not
          breathable so this can cause a problem with condensation.

          For me, the better choice is a larger tarp with an underquilt.

          However, the supershelter has some advantages. For example, it dries
          (condensation) quicker than a quilt, the ripstop is waterproof, and it is a
          better windbreaker than an underquilt. Although, a larger tarp can make up
          for much of this, and gives you more room too.

          I hope this helps.

          --
          Scott
          www.AntiFuel.com