Re: [Hammock Camping] two in a hammock

  • C C Wayah
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 7 6:31 PM
      Chuck,
      Two people in a nospreader bar hammock makes for bruises as you bump in the
      night.
      I've had a websight for a triangular tent system hung off the ground using
      three tress and webing. The tent wieghed over five pounds and that websight
      is gone with a computer crash long ago.
      I've thought since then this system would make a great two person hammock
      system with a tarp. The new cubin fiber strength just may make it possible
      to keep one light weight however stretching the platform required ratchets.
      and I've not found a workable answer for reducing the weight of the ratchets
      to pull the platform tight.

      Peole in the Amazon however do use two person hammock's and I think campmore
      sells them.

      Rogene .

      > has anyone tried to make a hammock for two, my wife and I love the
      > outdoors,I was curious if anyone has successfully conquered the
      > inherent problems of two in a hammock.
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Chuck Henderson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 7 8:26 PM
        If I were to make a single hammock out of two full pieces of ripstop
        nylon in the manner of a speers hammock , would the seam not
        naturally provide a ridge of some sort between the two ?

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 8 5:35 AM
          Yes, but you would still be banging into each other because gravity
          would have both of you trying to occupy the same space. People have
          used two individual hammocks tied in close proximity but with enough
          separation to keep from banging into each other... some have used
          three trees (one shared and the other two close by), others have use
          two large diameter trees with the hammocks offset to different sides
          of the trees, others have used two trees with struts providing the
          separation, etc.

          Youngblood

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Henderson"
          <chu62003@...> wrote:

          > If I were to make a single hammock out of two full pieces of ripstop
          > nylon in the manner of a speers hammock , would the seam not
          > naturally provide a ridge of some sort between the two ?

        • gerzson
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 8 11:25 AM
            One thing I found to be working well is hanging one above the other.
            There is no special tree configuration required, the distance between
            the hammocks can be easily adjusted, and a simple normal tarp can
            cover both.

            gerzson
          • C C Wayah
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 8 5:11 PM
              > If I were to make a single hammock out of two full pieces of ripstop
              > nylon in the manner of a speers hammock , would the seam not
              > naturally provide a ridge of some sort between the two ?

              I woudl assume the seam would fail rather quickly as seams are your weakest
              ponts and would be a high stress area.
              Rogene