Re: [Hammock Camping] Fixing HH Asym

  • Chuck Henderson
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 7, 2007
      The line itself parted? or did it come unfastened from the hamock?

      if the rope parted then simply get some parachute cord ( breaking
      strength of 500lbs +) and tie the two pieces together using a reef
      knot and two half hitches on each side of the knot.

      now if it came apart from the hammock itself I have no suggestions

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Carey Parks" <cjp129@...>
      wrote:

      > Try calling HH on the phone (no on their web site) they seem best
      when you
      > actually talk to somebody.

      Asym broke
      > on the last hike
      > of the season last year. I emailed Tom Hennessy, but never
      received a
      > response. Can anyone
      > make any suggestions as to how to repair this? How much weight
      does this
      > component bear?
      > Would it work to just tie this off or should I replace it
      somehow? Thanks
      > for any guidance.
      >
      > Wayne Kraft

    • Rosaleen Sullivan
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 8, 2007
        Hi, Wayne-

        I'm just back from a trip to the freezing mountains of eastern PA. One very cold trip...

        Anyway, in case no one else has by now responded:
        -Try another attempt at contacting Tom. He has been in New Zealand and is very recently back, now probably furiously preparing for Trail Days and the PCT kick-off and Lord knows what else. You should get SOMEONE by calling their 800/888 number, found on the website. The operation is large enough that they do have people on the mainland answering phones, not just Tom or his wife answering from their home on an island off British Columbia.

        -Your fastest fix is probably to tie another line to replace your old ridgeline yourself. The largest problem to me would be to get the right line. I was able to get some sturdy line from a friend at an archery shop, but Tom fixed my hammock before I actually replace the line. The kind I was able to find but not test, was something very sturdy that the shop used to tie a loop around a bowstring for a mechanical release to grab. This was intended to reduce wear and tear on the actual string. I can't give you any specifics as to the name of this stuff, its breaking strength, or whether or not it would work.

        -I suspect Tom might send you a piece of line or tell you what to buy. He also may offer to replace the line or even make an exchange. My line on one hammock developed a spot that was somehow frayed or various strands were popping, so I happened to spot the weak area before it let go. If you hung your hammock tightly (Which is unnecessary, BTW.) there is a chance that caused the line to snap under your weight. There is also a possibility there was a slight manufacturing defect in the line that was unobservable until it was used,stressed a few times. Another possibility is that you clipped something over the line and in doing so inadvertently scored the other circumference, causing a weak spot that failed.

        I think the actual repair, once the proper material is found, should be easy. Take a look at how the line is tied into the loops at the two hammock ends. Use a piece the same size and tie the same way. Finding the right material is the only hard part...

        Good Luck!

        Rosaleen

        Fixing HH Asym
        Posted by: "Wayne Kraft" wayneskraft@...<mailto:wayneskraft@...> waynekraft1

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 8, 2007
          Hey, Chuck-

          You have a great idea, BUT;

          If that parachute line is nylon, it will stretch way too much, defeating the purpose of the integral non-stretchy ridge line.

          Rosaleen

          Re: Fixing HH Asym
          Posted by: "Chuck Henderson" chu62003@...<mailto:chu62003@...> chu62003

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 8, 2007
            Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I am hearing impaired and can't use a phone the
            normal way, so I expect everyone to use email. I'll try calling Tom with a relay operator, but
            it's kind of a pain.

            The ridge line actually broke in two and it happened when I grabbed it without really thinking
            to rearrange my 200 lb carcass in the hammock. It happened on the next to the last day of
            my last hike of the season last summer and the next night was so warm, clear and wondrous
            I just sacked out on the ground. First trip of the year this year was in the high desert with no
            trees so i didn't need the hammock, but I've got some great hammock trips coming up. It
            would be nice to just send it in and have it fixed, but if Tom's as busy as it appears I'm
            wondering when I'd get the hammock back.

            Wayne