Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Quilt Kit Help

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 7, 2007
      Yes, I will try it today. Thanks.

      On 4/6/07, amendment2@... <amendment2@...> wrote:

      > In a message dated 4/6/2007 11:44:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
      > hacktorious@... <hacktorious%40gmail.com> writes:
      >
      > It sounds like it will be tough working with the entire quilt and pushing
      > it
      > through the machine.
      >
      > Roll up most of it and clip it together with BIG spring clips or big hair
      > clips, leaving about 12 or 14 inches of the end unrolled. After you sew
      > couple
      > of baffles on the part you didn't include in the initial roll, then roll
      > up
      > the side with the baffles sewn on and use more big clips. So you will have
      > roll to the left of the machine with the baffles, an unrolled section, and
      > side rolled up with no baffles yet on the right under the overhead arm.
      > Make
      > sense?

    • Scott
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 15, 2007
        The clips work great, thanks for the tip.

        However, I did miss a baffle in the middle of the quilt. I didn't realize
        it until I had finished sewing all the baffles. Overall it still looks
        OK, and I am sure it will still function fine. I learned a lot and my
        sewing skills have improved a great deal.

        --
        Scott
        www.AntiFuel.com

      • amendment2@aol.com
        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 15, 2007
          In a message dated 4/15/2007 11:42:11 AM Central Daylight Time,
          hacktorious@... writes:

          The clips work great, thanks for the tip.

          However, I did miss a baffle in the middle of the quilt. I didn't realize
          it until I had finished sewing all the baffles. Overall it still looks
          OK, and I am sure it will still function fine. I learned a lot and my
          sewing skills have improved a great deal.

          You're welcome, glad it helped you. I was camping this past weekend and it
          was pretty cold. upper thirties low 40's overnight. I kinda wished I had that
          quilt you are/have made. brr.

        • Sandy Kramer
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 26, 2007
            I think it was here (and fairly recently) that someone mentioned a book
            called "How to Make your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear."

            I went to Amazon and found it (used) really cheap so I ordered it. By
            Vick Rolling Hines. It's a large-sized paperback with a $14.95 price
            but the cover illustration is really ancient looking. It was printed
            in April 1981 - 26 years ago!!

            I only paid $5.50 ($2 + 3.50 shipping) so that's not an issue, but I'm
            wondering if the new fabrics/accessories/designs make this book
            marginally useful. Another thought is whether there is a newer edition?

            Anyone have this book or cares to recommend another one?

            PS It was really cool to see a photo of Ed Speer and Sgt. Rock.

            sandy in miami

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

            > The clips work great, thanks for the tip... I learned a lot and my
            sewing skills have improved a great deal.

            > --
            > Scott
            > www.AntiFuel.com

          • Cara Lin Bridgman
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 26, 2007
              I've got Tramp Camping by W.L. Pember (so old it doesn't have a
              publication year), Campcraft for Girl Guides (1957 edition of a 1933
              publication, no author), and Hiking and Lightweight Camping by A.M.
              Maynard (1956). These books are full of great advice! With cotton and
              wool and canvas and oilskins and glass bottles and aluminum boxes and
              wood match boxes, pack weights were <25 lbs, including 2-3 days of food.

              CL

              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 27, 2007
                :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)

                I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and Fastex
                buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that converts to
                a tent with no see'um mesh doors.

                sandy in miami

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
                <caralinb@...> wrote:

                > I've got Tramp Camping by W.L. Pember (so old it doesn't have a
                > publication year), Campcraft for Girl Guides (1957 edition of a
                1933
                > publication, no author), and Hiking and Lightweight Camping by A.M.
                > Maynard (1956). These books are full of great advice! With cotton
                and
                > wool and canvas and oilskins and glass bottles and aluminum boxes
                and
                > wood match boxes, pack weights were <25 lbs, including 2-3 days of
                food.

                > CL
                >
                > Sandy Kramer wrote:
                > > I think it was here (and fairly recently) that someone mentioned
                a book
                > > called "How to Make your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear."
                > >
                > > I went to Amazon and found it (used) really cheap so I ordered
                it. By
                > > Vick Rolling Hines. It's a large-sized paperback with a $14.95
                price
                > > but the cover illustration is really ancient looking. It was
                printed
                > > in April 1981 - 26 years ago!!
                > >
                > > I only paid $5.50 ($2 + 3.50 shipping) so that's not an issue,
                but I'm
                > > wondering if the new fabrics/accessories/designs make this book
                > > marginally useful. Another thought is whether there is a newer
                edition?

              • C C Wayah
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 29, 2007
                  Samdi in Miami,
                  Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
                  Rogene

                  > :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)
                  >
                  > I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and Fastex
                  > buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that converts to
                  > a tent with no see'um mesh doors.
                  >
                  > sandy in miami
                • Sandy Kramer
                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 30, 2007
                    book is now at home...i'll look for it.

                    sandy in miami

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>

                  • cass-rjp@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 30, 2007
                      Hi sandy in miami
                      would it be possible for you to post the instructions and pictures for this
                      poncho/tent here. If i find it suitable I might even make a copy of it.
                      Thank you in advance!
                      Quoting Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>:

                      > book is now at home...i'll look for it.
                      >
                      > sandy in miami
                      >

                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Samdi in Miami,
                      > > Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
                      > > Rogene
                      > >

                      > > > :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)
                      > > >
                      > > > I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and
                      > Fastex
                      > > > buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that
                      > converts to
                      > > > a tent with no see'um mesh doors.
                      > > >
                      > > > sandy in miami

                      Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
                      Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
                    • Sandy Kramer
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 1 9:03 AM
                        I believe it is unethical (and possibly illegal?) to do that. And I
                        don't want to get my little tush in a twist. :)

                        but if you email me privately, I can explain how it is done.

                        sandy in miami

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, cass-rjp@... wrote:

                        > Hi sandy in miami
                        > would it be possible for you to post the instructions and pictures
                        for this
                        > poncho/tent here. If i find it suitable I might even make a copy of
                        it.
                        > Thank you in advance!
                        > Quoting Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>:
                        >
                        > > book is now at home...i'll look for it.
                        > >
                        > > sandy in miami
                        > >

                        > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Samdi in Miami,
                        > > > Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
                        > > > Rogene

                        > > Fastex
                        > > converts to

                        > Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
                        > Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph

                      • Chuck Henderson
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 1 12:25 PM
                          is this what you are looking for

                          http://royrobinson.homestead.com/PonchoPlans.html

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"

                          Message 12 of 19 , May 1 1:24 PM
                            not exactly... see if you can find it online: Poncho/Tent by Vick
                            Roling Hines.

                            The sketch shows it rigged like a "real" pup tent with a bathtub
                            floor and a front screen door. The tied up head cover runs along the
                            center top.

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Henderson"

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 2 3:17 AM
                              Hi Chuck, everybody!
                              I dont know if this the one sandy in miami is reffering to. But i've already
                              seen this one already. Thanks anyway!

                              Rene

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 2 9:05 AM
                                there's a tarp tent pattern here: http://www.questoutfitters.com/

                                anyone really interested in the poncho/tent can email me privately.

                                sandy in miami

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 2 2:36 PM
                                  I met Mr Bilgy in Ct along the Housatonic with his tent.
                                  He gave us hikers a grand tour of this tent. Sure made since in the heat of
                                  that hiking trip. He said it kept him warm when he secured the side to the
                                  ground closley
                                  in cold weather..
                                  I really liked that design for condenstion control and space.

                                  Rogene