Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Quilt Kit Help

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 6, 2007
      Nope, that makes perfect sense. Thanks.

      It sounds like it will be tough working with the entire quilt and pushing it
      through the machine.

      --
      Scott
      www.AntiFuel.com

    • amendment2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 19 , Apr 6, 2007
        In a message dated 4/6/2007 11:44:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
        hacktorious@... writes:

        It sounds like it will be tough working with the entire quilt and pushing it
        through the machine.

        Roll up most of it and clip it together with BIG spring clips or big hair
        clips, leaving about 12 or 14 inches of the end unrolled. After you sew couple
        of baffles on the part you didn't include in the initial roll, then roll up
        the side with the baffles sewn on and use more big clips. So you will have a
        roll to the left of the machine with the baffles, an unrolled section, and a
        side rolled up with no baffles yet on the right under the overhead arm. Make
        sense?

        Message 3 of 19 , Apr 7, 2007
          Yes, I will try it today. Thanks.

          On 4/6/07, amendment2@... <amendment2@...> wrote:

          > In a message dated 4/6/2007 11:44:56 AM Central Daylight Time,
          > hacktorious@... <hacktorious%40gmail.com> writes:
          >
          > It sounds like it will be tough working with the entire quilt and pushing
          > it
          > through the machine.
          >
          > Roll up most of it and clip it together with BIG spring clips or big hair
          > clips, leaving about 12 or 14 inches of the end unrolled. After you sew
          > couple
          > of baffles on the part you didn't include in the initial roll, then roll
          > up
          > the side with the baffles sewn on and use more big clips. So you will have
          > roll to the left of the machine with the baffles, an unrolled section, and
          > side rolled up with no baffles yet on the right under the overhead arm.
          > Make
          > sense?

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 19 , Apr 15, 2007
            The clips work great, thanks for the tip.

            However, I did miss a baffle in the middle of the quilt. I didn't realize
            it until I had finished sewing all the baffles. Overall it still looks
            OK, and I am sure it will still function fine. I learned a lot and my
            sewing skills have improved a great deal.

            --
            Scott
            www.AntiFuel.com

          • amendment2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Apr 15, 2007
              In a message dated 4/15/2007 11:42:11 AM Central Daylight Time,
              hacktorious@... writes:

              The clips work great, thanks for the tip.

              However, I did miss a baffle in the middle of the quilt. I didn't realize
              it until I had finished sewing all the baffles. Overall it still looks
              OK, and I am sure it will still function fine. I learned a lot and my
              sewing skills have improved a great deal.

              You're welcome, glad it helped you. I was camping this past weekend and it
              was pretty cold. upper thirties low 40's overnight. I kinda wished I had that
              quilt you are/have made. brr.

            • Sandy Kramer
              Message 6 of 19 , Apr 26, 2007
                I think it was here (and fairly recently) that someone mentioned a book
                called "How to Make your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear."

                I went to Amazon and found it (used) really cheap so I ordered it. By
                Vick Rolling Hines. It's a large-sized paperback with a $14.95 price
                but the cover illustration is really ancient looking. It was printed
                in April 1981 - 26 years ago!!

                I only paid $5.50 ($2 + 3.50 shipping) so that's not an issue, but I'm
                wondering if the new fabrics/accessories/designs make this book
                marginally useful. Another thought is whether there is a newer edition?

                Anyone have this book or cares to recommend another one?

                PS It was really cool to see a photo of Ed Speer and Sgt. Rock.

                sandy in miami

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Scott <hacktorious@...> wrote:

                > The clips work great, thanks for the tip... I learned a lot and my
                sewing skills have improved a great deal.

                > --
                > Scott
                > www.AntiFuel.com

              • Cara Lin Bridgman
                Message 7 of 19 , Apr 26, 2007
                  I've got Tramp Camping by W.L. Pember (so old it doesn't have a
                  publication year), Campcraft for Girl Guides (1957 edition of a 1933
                  publication, no author), and Hiking and Lightweight Camping by A.M.
                  Maynard (1956). These books are full of great advice! With cotton and
                  wool and canvas and oilskins and glass bottles and aluminum boxes and
                  wood match boxes, pack weights were <25 lbs, including 2-3 days of food.

                  CL

                  Message 8 of 19 , Apr 27, 2007
                    :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)

                    I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and Fastex
                    buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that converts to
                    a tent with no see'um mesh doors.

                    sandy in miami

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Cara Lin Bridgman
                    <caralinb@...> wrote:

                    > I've got Tramp Camping by W.L. Pember (so old it doesn't have a
                    > publication year), Campcraft for Girl Guides (1957 edition of a
                    1933
                    > publication, no author), and Hiking and Lightweight Camping by A.M.
                    > Maynard (1956). These books are full of great advice! With cotton
                    and
                    > wool and canvas and oilskins and glass bottles and aluminum boxes
                    and
                    > wood match boxes, pack weights were <25 lbs, including 2-3 days of
                    food.

                    > CL
                    >
                    > Sandy Kramer wrote:
                    > > I think it was here (and fairly recently) that someone mentioned
                    a book
                    > > called "How to Make your Own Lightweight Camping and Hiking Gear."
                    > >
                    > > I went to Amazon and found it (used) really cheap so I ordered
                    it. By
                    > > Vick Rolling Hines. It's a large-sized paperback with a $14.95
                    price
                    > > but the cover illustration is really ancient looking. It was
                    printed
                    > > in April 1981 - 26 years ago!!
                    > >
                    > > I only paid $5.50 ($2 + 3.50 shipping) so that's not an issue,
                    but I'm
                    > > wondering if the new fabrics/accessories/designs make this book
                    > > marginally useful. Another thought is whether there is a newer
                    edition?

                  • C C Wayah
                    Message 9 of 19 , Apr 29, 2007
                      Samdi in Miami,
                      Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
                      Rogene

                      > :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)
                      >
                      > I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and Fastex
                      > buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that converts to
                      > a tent with no see'um mesh doors.
                      >
                      > sandy in miami
                    • Sandy Kramer
                      Message 10 of 19 , Apr 30, 2007
                        book is now at home...i'll look for it.

                        sandy in miami

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>

                      • cass-rjp@sulat.msuiit.edu.ph
                        Message 11 of 19 , Apr 30, 2007
                          Hi sandy in miami
                          would it be possible for you to post the instructions and pictures for this
                          poncho/tent here. If i find it suitable I might even make a copy of it.
                          Thank you in advance!
                          Quoting Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>:

                          > book is now at home...i'll look for it.
                          >
                          > sandy in miami
                          >

                          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Samdi in Miami,
                          > > Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
                          > > Rogene
                          > >

                          > > > :) I think your message is that old can still be good. :)
                          > > >
                          > > > I flipped through the book and they talk about Gore Tex and
                          > Fastex
                          > > > buckles...no silnylon tho. They have a nifty poncho that
                          > converts to
                          > > > a tent with no see'um mesh doors.
                          > > >
                          > > > sandy in miami

                          Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
                          Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph
                        • Sandy Kramer
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 1, 2007
                            I believe it is unethical (and possibly illegal?) to do that. And I
                            don't want to get my little tush in a twist. :)

                            but if you email me privately, I can explain how it is done.

                            sandy in miami

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, cass-rjp@... wrote:

                            > Hi sandy in miami
                            > would it be possible for you to post the instructions and pictures
                            for this
                            > poncho/tent here. If i find it suitable I might even make a copy of
                            it.
                            > Thank you in advance!
                            > Quoting Sandy Kramer <sandykayak@...>:
                            >
                            > > book is now at home...i'll look for it.
                            > >
                            > > sandy in miami
                            > >

                            > > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "C C Wayah" <ccwayah@>
                            > > wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Samdi in Miami,
                            > > > Could you send directions to this poncho tarp.
                            > > > Rogene

                            > > Fastex
                            > > converts to

                            > Mindanao State University - Iligan Campus
                            > Visit us at http://www.msuiit.edu.ph

                          • Chuck Henderson
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 1, 2007
                              is this what you are looking for

                              http://royrobinson.homestead.com/PonchoPlans.html

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Sandy Kramer"

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 1, 2007
                                not exactly... see if you can find it online: Poncho/Tent by Vick
                                Roling Hines.

                                The sketch shows it rigged like a "real" pup tent with a bathtub
                                floor and a front screen door. The tied up head cover runs along the
                                center top.

                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Henderson"

                                Message 15 of 19 , May 2, 2007
                                  Hi Chuck, everybody!
                                  I dont know if this the one sandy in miami is reffering to. But i've already
                                  seen this one already. Thanks anyway!

                                  Rene

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 2, 2007
                                    there's a tarp tent pattern here: http://www.questoutfitters.com/

                                    anyone really interested in the poncho/tent can email me privately.

                                    sandy in miami

                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 2, 2007
                                      I met Mr Bilgy in Ct along the Housatonic with his tent.
                                      He gave us hikers a grand tour of this tent. Sure made since in the heat of
                                      that hiking trip. He said it kept him warm when he secured the side to the
                                      ground closley
                                      in cold weather..
                                      I really liked that design for condenstion control and space.

                                      Rogene