Re: Your Top 5 Bits of Hammocking Wisdom

  • sebastiantoney
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 5 6:21 AM
      1. Use a removable structural ridgleline. Although Hennessy has a
      patent, there is no reason you can't add one to any hammock
      (commercial or homemade). Structural ridigelines control sag. You'll
      get the same sag every time. Plus ridgelines are very practical or
      hanging stuff sacks, bugnets. Making it removable lets you sit in the
      hammock as a camp chair, but it won't be in the way as with a stock
      Hennessy Hammock. Again you can add a removal structural ridgline to
      any hammock commercial or homemade.

      2. Learn to pitch your hammock in the dark. This is key if you're
      doing any stealth camping.

      3. Stay warm. Hammocks can get cold very quickly. Even at 70-75 deg F
      can feel cold on a windy day. I prefer under/overquilts.

      4. Learn four or five knots so that you can adapt to any situation.
      Different campsites sometimes require different knots. The Speer 4
      wrap knot doesn't always work around big rocks and such. I recommend
      learning a Bowline, Anchor Hitch, Larskhead, and Double Overhand knots
      in addition to the knots Speer recommends in his book.

      5. If pitching while raining, pitch the tarp first then the hammock.
      Once you get the tarp up, you'll have a nice dry area from which to work.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

      > I was recently talking with some hikers who were very interested in my
      > above ground dwelling. Later I was thinking about all the things I
      > have learned, some the hard way, about hammocking over the last few
      > years and thought it would be fun to see what tips you all would share
      > if you were telling someone new about hammocking.
      >
      > Here's mine...
      >
      > -Learn more than one knot
      > -Try a cheap hammock first to see if you like it
      > -Bring a torso sized piece of CCF just in case the insulation you
      > brought isn't quite enough.
      > -A quilt works way better than a sleeping bag
      > AND
      > -Read Ed's book
      >
      > I eagerly await the other wonderful nuggets from you all.
      > Jamie in AZ

    • Scott
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5 7:50 AM
        Test your hammock quilts/pad in your backyard, before you go into the
        wilderness, if possible. Sleep at least on full night in your backyard.

        --
        Scott
        www.AntiFuel.com

      • chcoa
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9 11:42 PM
          Very helpful Tim, thank you. Will you or someone else be posting when
          this is complete and can be viewed?

          jamie in az

          > on <http://hammockforums.net> several people are getting ready to
          shoot a series of short video clips that demonstrate most of the
          basics of hammocking.
          > some of the demos that i can think of right off include
          hanging a HH, hanging a speer type, different methods to attach the
          support to the tree, attaching & adjusting an under quilt. there
          will be others too of course.
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 10 3:51 AM
            yes, we'll make sure to let the hammocking community know.
            ...tim

            chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote: Very helpful Tim, thank you. Will you or someone else be posting when