Re: [Hammock Camping] Your Top 5 Bits of Hammocking Wisdom

  • gerzson
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4 11:27 PM
      -If something isn't right with your sleeping system (hammock, tarp,
      insulation, etc...) get up and fix it. Even if it is the middle of the
      night and it's raining. Sacrifice half an hour and be comfortable the
      rest of the night.
      -Be patient with learning how to sleep well in a hammock.
      -Study the different insulations what experienced people are using and
      find out (by trying) which one is best (or at least good enough) for
      you.
      -Don't hang higher than needed.
      -Leave no trace.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 5 3:51 AM
        on <http://hammockforums.net> several people are getting ready to shoot a series of short video clips that demonstrate most of the basics of hammocking.
        some of the demos that i can think of right off include hanging a HH, hanging a speer type, different methods to attach the support to the tree, attaching & adjusting an under quilt. there will be others too of course.
        hopefully these will be well thought out & done w/ good quality video, then edited.
        i believe our first video shoot will be at ed's SEHHA camp out in hot springs, nc.
        i believe ed will be helping w/ a demonstration or two. ...tim

        chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote: I was recently talking with some hikers who were very interested in my
        above ground dwelling. Later I was thinking about all the things I
        have learned, some the hard way, about hammocking over the last few
        years and thought it would be fun to see what tips you all would share
        if you were telling someone new about hammocking.

        Here's mine...

        -Learn more than one knot
        -Try a cheap hammock first to see if you like it
        -Bring a torso sized piece of CCF just in case the insulation you
        brought isn't quite enough.
        -A quilt works way better than a sleeping bag
        AND
        -Read Ed's book

        I eagerly await the other wonderful nuggets from you all.
        Jamie in AZ

      • sebastiantoney
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5 6:21 AM
          1. Use a removable structural ridgleline. Although Hennessy has a
          patent, there is no reason you can't add one to any hammock
          (commercial or homemade). Structural ridigelines control sag. You'll
          get the same sag every time. Plus ridgelines are very practical or
          hanging stuff sacks, bugnets. Making it removable lets you sit in the
          hammock as a camp chair, but it won't be in the way as with a stock
          Hennessy Hammock. Again you can add a removal structural ridgline to
          any hammock commercial or homemade.

          2. Learn to pitch your hammock in the dark. This is key if you're
          doing any stealth camping.

          3. Stay warm. Hammocks can get cold very quickly. Even at 70-75 deg F
          can feel cold on a windy day. I prefer under/overquilts.

          4. Learn four or five knots so that you can adapt to any situation.
          Different campsites sometimes require different knots. The Speer 4
          wrap knot doesn't always work around big rocks and such. I recommend
          learning a Bowline, Anchor Hitch, Larskhead, and Double Overhand knots
          in addition to the knots Speer recommends in his book.

          5. If pitching while raining, pitch the tarp first then the hammock.
          Once you get the tarp up, you'll have a nice dry area from which to work.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

          > I was recently talking with some hikers who were very interested in my
          > above ground dwelling. Later I was thinking about all the things I
          > have learned, some the hard way, about hammocking over the last few
          > years and thought it would be fun to see what tips you all would share
          > if you were telling someone new about hammocking.
          >
          > Here's mine...
          >
          > -Learn more than one knot
          > -Try a cheap hammock first to see if you like it
          > -Bring a torso sized piece of CCF just in case the insulation you
          > brought isn't quite enough.
          > -A quilt works way better than a sleeping bag
          > AND
          > -Read Ed's book
          >
          > I eagerly await the other wonderful nuggets from you all.
          > Jamie in AZ

        • Scott
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5 7:50 AM
            Test your hammock quilts/pad in your backyard, before you go into the
            wilderness, if possible. Sleep at least on full night in your backyard.

            --
            Scott
            www.AntiFuel.com

          • chcoa
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9 11:42 PM
              Very helpful Tim, thank you. Will you or someone else be posting when
              this is complete and can be viewed?

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 10 3:51 AM
                yes, we'll make sure to let the hammocking community know.
                ...tim

                chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote: Very helpful Tim, thank you. Will you or someone else be posting when