Your Top 5 Bits of Hammocking Wisdom

  • chcoa
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2007
      I was recently talking with some hikers who were very interested in my
      above ground dwelling. Later I was thinking about all the things I
      have learned, some the hard way, about hammocking over the last few
      years and thought it would be fun to see what tips you all would share
      if you were telling someone new about hammocking.

      Here's mine...

      -Learn more than one knot
      -Try a cheap hammock first to see if you like it
      -Bring a torso sized piece of CCF just in case the insulation you
      brought isn't quite enough.
      -A quilt works way better than a sleeping bag
      AND
      -Read Ed's book

      I eagerly await the other wonderful nuggets from you all.
      Jamie in AZ
    • gerzson
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2007
        -If something isn't right with your sleeping system (hammock, tarp,
        insulation, etc...) get up and fix it. Even if it is the middle of the
        night and it's raining. Sacrifice half an hour and be comfortable the
        rest of the night.
        -Be patient with learning how to sleep well in a hammock.
        -Study the different insulations what experienced people are using and
        find out (by trying) which one is best (or at least good enough) for
        you.
        -Don't hang higher than needed.
        -Leave no trace.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2007
          on <http://hammockforums.net> several people are getting ready to shoot a series of short video clips that demonstrate most of the basics of hammocking.
          some of the demos that i can think of right off include hanging a HH, hanging a speer type, different methods to attach the support to the tree, attaching & adjusting an under quilt. there will be others too of course.
          hopefully these will be well thought out & done w/ good quality video, then edited.
          i believe our first video shoot will be at ed's SEHHA camp out in hot springs, nc.
          i believe ed will be helping w/ a demonstration or two. ...tim

          chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote: I was recently talking with some hikers who were very interested in my
          above ground dwelling. Later I was thinking about all the things I
          have learned, some the hard way, about hammocking over the last few
          years and thought it would be fun to see what tips you all would share
          if you were telling someone new about hammocking.

          Here's mine...

          -Learn more than one knot
          -Try a cheap hammock first to see if you like it
          -Bring a torso sized piece of CCF just in case the insulation you
          brought isn't quite enough.
          -A quilt works way better than a sleeping bag
          AND
          -Read Ed's book

          I eagerly await the other wonderful nuggets from you all.
          Jamie in AZ

        • sebastiantoney
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 5, 2007
            1. Use a removable structural ridgleline. Although Hennessy has a
            patent, there is no reason you can't add one to any hammock
            (commercial or homemade). Structural ridigelines control sag. You'll
            get the same sag every time. Plus ridgelines are very practical or
            hanging stuff sacks, bugnets. Making it removable lets you sit in the
            hammock as a camp chair, but it won't be in the way as with a stock
            Hennessy Hammock. Again you can add a removal structural ridgline to
            any hammock commercial or homemade.

            2. Learn to pitch your hammock in the dark. This is key if you're
            doing any stealth camping.

            3. Stay warm. Hammocks can get cold very quickly. Even at 70-75 deg F
            can feel cold on a windy day. I prefer under/overquilts.

            4. Learn four or five knots so that you can adapt to any situation.
            Different campsites sometimes require different knots. The Speer 4
            wrap knot doesn't always work around big rocks and such. I recommend
            learning a Bowline, Anchor Hitch, Larskhead, and Double Overhand knots
            in addition to the knots Speer recommends in his book.

            5. If pitching while raining, pitch the tarp first then the hammock.
            Once you get the tarp up, you'll have a nice dry area from which to work.

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "chcoa" <jdeben@...> wrote:

            > I was recently talking with some hikers who were very interested in my
            > above ground dwelling. Later I was thinking about all the things I
            > have learned, some the hard way, about hammocking over the last few
            > years and thought it would be fun to see what tips you all would share
            > if you were telling someone new about hammocking.
            >
            > Here's mine...
            >
            > -Learn more than one knot
            > -Try a cheap hammock first to see if you like it
            > -Bring a torso sized piece of CCF just in case the insulation you
            > brought isn't quite enough.
            > -A quilt works way better than a sleeping bag
            > AND
            > -Read Ed's book
            >
            > I eagerly await the other wonderful nuggets from you all.
            > Jamie in AZ

          • Scott
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 5, 2007
              Test your hammock quilts/pad in your backyard, before you go into the
              wilderness, if possible. Sleep at least on full night in your backyard.

              --
              Scott
              www.AntiFuel.com

            • chcoa
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2007
                Very helpful Tim, thank you. Will you or someone else be posting when
                this is complete and can be viewed?

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 10, 2007
                  yes, we'll make sure to let the hammocking community know.
                  ...tim

                  chcoa <jdeben@...> wrote: Very helpful Tim, thank you. Will you or someone else be posting when