I need your suggestions......

  • Christina Moon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2003
      I bought a tie-dye cotton hammock on eBay. It's a cute hammock, imported
      from Thailand, but probably not worth what the seller was charging ~ not an
      auction ~ I paid the *buy it now* price. It's 62 inches (5 ft. 1+ inch)
      wide by 96 inches (8 ft.) long. Each end is hemmed. It came with a nylon
      cord that is threaded through each end and then tied into loops. This is
      how it hangs.

      I know that the material at the hems is going to begin to wear as soon as
      the cord is threaded through it and it's hung with the weight of a person
      in it.

      My question is this ~~~ is there a better way to hang this hammock than
      what I just described?

      Thanks,

      Christina

      Blessed Be the Peacemakers!

      May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!

      May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
      May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
      May your Soul be filled with Peace.
      May your Heart be filled with Love.
      May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
      Peace Be With You Always.
      ~~Christina Moon
    • uluheman
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2003
        I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think there'd be much wear along
        those end casings. Think how great a width of fabric there is to take
        the load and how little friction there will be against the loop of
        cord that runs through the casing. Nothing lasts forever, but I'd bet
        that the hammock eventually fails somewhere else, such as the thread
        used to sew the casings, the fabric in the body of the hammock, or
        the edges of the sides.

        Keep cotton out of the light as much as possible. Sunlight "rots" it.

        Brandon in Honolulu

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Christina Moon <moonpi@i...>

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2003
          Christina,

          I'd suggest just hanging it up a lot like they show it in the photo.
          Just don't judge your comfort in this hammock to be what it can be in
          a camping hammock. Sometimes people call this sort of hammock a
          bannana hammock because you sleep in that position. I can't sleep
          like this, and I find that all the camping hammocks feel a lot better.

          I wonder how many people would spring for the hammock if it were not
          advertised with girls in it?

          Rick

          wrote:
          > I bought a tie-dye cotton hammock on eBay. It's a cute hammock,
          imported
          > from Thailand, but probably not worth what the seller was charging
          ~ not an
          > auction ~ I paid the *buy it now* price. It's 62 inches (5 ft. 1+
          inch)
          > wide by 96 inches (8 ft.) long. Each end is hemmed. It came with
          a nylon
          > cord that is threaded through each end and then tied into loops.
          This is
          > how it hangs.
          >
          > I know that the material at the hems is going to begin to wear as
          soon as
          > the cord is threaded through it and it's hung with the weight of a
          person
          > in it.
          >
          > My question is this ~~~ is there a better way to hang this hammock
          than
          > what I just described?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Christina
          >
          > Blessed Be the Peacemakers!
          >
          > May Blesswings of Peace n Love surround you!
          >
          > May your Mind be filled with Wisdom.
          > May your Eyes be filled with Beauty.
          > May your Soul be filled with Peace.
          > May your Heart be filled with Love.
          > May we ALL live in a State of Grace.
          > Peace Be With You Always.
          > ~~Christina Moon
        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 11, 2003
            CM:

            Don't worry. Two of my hammocks are constructed just like
            that and it works fine. (These are commercially made
            hammocks, the Nomad Medical Tropical Hammock and the Hammock
            Bliss hammock.)

            If you want to do something simple to ease the strain on the
            fabric, consider using thicker rope.

            Bear
          • Christina Moon
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 11, 2003
              <dchinell@m...> wrote:
              > If you want to do something simple to ease the strain on the
              > fabric, consider using thicker rope.
              >
              > Bear

              Hi Bear,

              I wondered whether thicker roap would be a good thing. That which
              came with this hammock is fairly thin, but hard (almost a plastic)
              cord. It's not my choice. I'll get something thicker, but with more
              flexibility. Thanks for the suggestions. And thanks, too, for
              letting me know that it's okay.

              Christina